Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever get an essay rechecked?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I got a semi decent mark for one of my essays last semester, but reading over the comments wasn't sure that the lecturer who corrected it understood or had read one of the texts I mentioned, which was pretty key to understanding my argument. Although I think it deserved a few more marks, I would settle for the grade in question if I thought that the person correcting the essay understood it all. Is it normal for people to get essays rechecked in a taught MA programme? How would you go about doing it? Has anyone here ever done it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't ever be afraid to question a lecturer or a mark given. Make sure to do it in a rational, non-confrontational manner.

Lecturers are human and make mistakes, especially when correcting a load of essays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A lot of students who feel disappointed with the grade received for an essay will just rant and moan without ever actually doing anything about it. There's no problem with asking approaching a lecturer/tutor and asking them about the grade you got for your essay.

Though as TD said, always make sure you do it in a non-confrontational manner. I always adopt the approach of asking them would they mind if I chatted to them about the essay and asked them to go over their comments with me and explain why they gave the grade they did. Most lecturers are happy to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Don't ever be afraid to question a lecturer or a mark given. Make sure to do it in a rational, non-confrontational manner.

Ok, but do I go back to the lecturer that marked it and say I have questions? Do I ask that it be rechecked by someone else? Is that I'm not happy with the comments enough for that? I was thinking of going to a different lecturer that I know better and asking them what I should do. Will it not make things awkward between me and the lecturer if I ask to have his essay rechecked? I suppose he'd find out anyways though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Ok, but do I go back to the lecturer that marked it and say I have questions? Do I ask that it be rechecked by someone else? Is that I'm not happy with the comments enough for that? I was thinking of going to a different lecturer that I know better and asking them what I should do. Will it not make things awkward between me and the lecturer if I ask to have his essay rechecked? I suppose he'd find out anyways though...

Talk to the one who marked it, ask him to go through it with you and show you where you lost marks. Not at all unusual for an MA essay (to ask for direction). It could be (especially at this time of year) that he caught yours in the middle of a load, or, as you said, that he didnt know what you were talking about.

Either way that meeting should give you some sense of which one it is....

If your meeting makes you suspect the latter then take it to someone else.

He wont mind going through it with you, (if he is comfortable with the subject!). Many students come to me for mark breakdowns, I dont mind at all (for what its worth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks efla, I'll try to get a hold of him first then and see what he says.

• Advertisement
Advertisement