Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism MA

Options
  • 27-01-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Where is the best place to do the Journalism MA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Your options are DCU, DIT or NUIG. DCU seems to have the best professional reputation (disclaimer: I'm biased as I did the MA there but I did a lot of research before I chose where to apply to and that's what I found) but it's quite a close-run thing tbh; there's a lot of people in the profession who went to the other two as well.

One of the main differences between DCU and the others is that DCU organises the work placements for you, while in DIT and NUIG you have to sort it out yourself, which can obviously be quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The MAJ (DCU) is heavily practice based, which may or may not suit you, and the course progression is reasonably open in terms of your thesis, you can opt for either a practice or academic-oriented piece of research. (Depending on your undergrad background, one or the other may appeal to you)

You also get plenty of technical exposure and tuition from former/practicing journalists from all media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

I gather its difficult to get jobs in journalism (as it is in anything now I guess), how did yous find it?
    i read that irish times blog which was a bit frightening......
    didn't discourage me too much though I still intend on doing it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I don't have a journalism qualification, I just teach on the MA in DCU. I'm not sure how things are this year and I'm not back in for another two weeks, but I can *ask around* and let you know what the state of the industry is.

Ha so all going well you could be teaching me next year!
    Thanks much appreciated

• Advertisement

Anyone willing to speak up on behalf of DIT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

In my opinion you'd be better off doing a MA specific to what you hope to write about in future eg Economics, Politics etc. Unless you hope to be a generic reporter covering all sorts of stuff that is. If you're gonnado the Journalism MA I think DCU is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Independent Colleges also do an MA - check out their website.

Advertisement