Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K'Naan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I first head The Dusty Foot Philosopher last year and fell in love with it straight away. A great album by a fantastic artist.

This here is probably my favourite song off the album... It always puts a smile on my face when I hear it....

Here's another song with K'Naan singing rather than rapping....

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

dl'd this after watchin the vid there for whats hardcore, brilliant tune, puts a lot of dodgy gansta rap to shame. Album really good, find he is quite peoetic in a lot of his rhyming if that makes sense :confused: New album end of Feb???? will def be getting that

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Dusty Foot Philosopher is a damn fine album, the tracks "My Old Home" and the hidden one "Blues for the Horn" are some of the best hip hop i have heard in the last few years

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

K'Naan has a new mixtape available, it's available for free over on HipHopSite.com in the News on the DL section.

http://news.hiphopsite.com/blogs/newsonthedl/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

The new album is called Trubadeur and is simply amazing. Its my favourite album since Phaorohe monche's desire. Somalia, and waving flag are my favourite songs. Does anybody know where i can download this legally? Its not available on the irish Itunes store for some reason. This album is definitely worth the download fee.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    K'Naan has a new mixtape available, it's available for free over on HipHopSite.com in the News on the DL section.

http://news.hiphopsite.com/blogs/newsonthedl/

Had a listen to this today, wasn't great to be honest. Hopefully the new album will be on par with Dusty Foot Philospher. What's with the callabo with Mos Def, it just sounds like an interlude on an album instead of a proper tune.

I see from the above the new album is available, will check that out instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Troubadour is a pretty damn good album I think. Waving Flag would be my favourite track on the album. I find the album starts off really well but kind of drops off in quality towards the end. Still though, a solid album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lockgroove

Still though, a solid album.
    i find troubadour very, very real when it comes to lyrics (that kind of thing, weird, that he wouldn't tell a lie on the beat), but the production is not as good as it was on dusty foot philosopher.

it's probably the whole difficult second album thing. i mean he was virtually unknown when he released the dusty foot philosopher few years ago and now everyone is all about that kid from somalia who couldn't speak english blah blah blah.

troubadour is up there with the best if you look at the standard of lps released these days, when everyone is an artist. and please, don't tell me that the major label mcs/ producers are setting the bar high.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So it looks like K'Naan is now touring the US with Snoop, fair play to him. Liking Troubodour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Troubadour is more consistent I think, TDFP has his two best songs however and is more creative.

• Advertisement

Cunninlynguists have now knocked his album off the 2009 top spot for me now.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Cunninlynguists have now knocked his album off the 2009 top spot for me now.

Mojoe's Dirty Genes for me. Reks a close second.

Grey Hairs? Was that not 08?

More Grey Hairs. Released a few weeks back.

My favorite of 09 so far is P.O.S Never Better, the new Brother Ali EP is pretty darn good too.

Back to K'Naan, he's putting together a remix, with a twist....
    K'Naan To Release "Twitter Single", Based On Fans' Tweets Somali-Canadian musical trailblazer K'Naan is about to collaborate with his fans in an unprecedented way -assembling a new version of his song "People Like Me" from their tweets on Twitter. On April 1st, K'Naan will invite his Twitter followers to download the special instrumental version of the song, created specially for this promotion, and submit their own lyrics for the story via his Twitter. All fan tweets tagged with #knaansong will be considered for inclusion in the final song. Deadline for submissions is May 1st. Following that, K'Naan

will assemble the best tweets and record the results, crediting all contributors on his official site and all other social profiles. The final track will be made available to fans via free download on K'Naan's Twitter page at http://twitter.com/thedustyfoot and his official site at http://knaanmusic.com This will mark the first time Twitter will be officially used for the creation of a song. K'Naan's latest album, Troubadour, was released on Feb 24 and debuted at #1 and #3 top digital albums in the US and Canada, respectively: sure evidence of the electronically-oriented nature of many of his fans. This Twitter song collaboration is a logical extension of the new relationships being forged by artists and their audiences in an increasingly interconnected world. (Press Release)
    More information can be found at http://www.amoctone.com/knaan/plmtweet/

Should be interesting

Apologies for bumping an old thread but i see K'naan is playing EP this year. Any chance of a seperate gig in Dub around that date then.... i live in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"If Rap Gets Jealous" is free on iTunes, atm. Great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Have seen him live at The Roundhouse in London when he supported (and performed with) Keane. He is pretty good but seems very nervous when he performs, jumbled his lines a bit when he first came on... but after a while he got into it and it was great but short (think it was only 5 songs) and maybe a little bit rushed.

Advertisement