Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHd by Publication

Options
  • 24-01-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Dear All,

I would be grateful if people could help me with the following queries.

My background is that I have been carrying out independent research on my own and have been lucky to have my research accepted by good peer reviewed science journals. Prior to this I completed a research masters and as a result of that I had more ideas that I kept working on until now in my own time outside of work hours when the equipment was free. I should say that the research masters had three publications so I pretty much learned the tools required to be involved in research and writing papers from this so I am quite independent now.

I have two papers published and one submitted and now I would like to try to find a supervisor and university preferably here in Ireland but I would also look outside of Ireland for a potential supervisor. I would like to try to follow the PHd by publication route as I work in an institute that already has the funding and equipment to carry out the research and I hope to continues publishing even though it is not a requirement of my job. However I need some guidance as to how it would fit with a universities/colleges requirements for a Phd by publication.

I would be very grateful if people could give me details of (a) IT colleges and universities in Ireland that carry out the PHD by publication type of degree and (b) that allow you to write a thesis with the published papers as the main chapters and an introduction and discussion and conclusions etc i.e not the traditional way of writing a thesis.

Thank you so much to everyone for their suggestions in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

This is more common in Scandanavia than Ireland. Irish universities still require that you attend for a minimum of 3 years to carry out the research under a supervisor or supervisory team. While publication is an important facet of the work, the thesis and viva voce is still the basis for awarding the degree. Also, Irish uni's are starting to bring in more requirements, for example UCD now REQUIRES phd candidates to do a certain amount of skills training.

An alternative route you might investigate is the professional doctorate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Dear All,

I would be grateful if people could help me with the following queries.

My background is that I have been carrying out independent research on my own and have been lucky to have my research accepted by good peer reviewed science journals. Prior to this I completed a research masters and as a result of that I had more ideas that I kept working on until now in my own time outside of work hours when the equipment was free. I should say that the research masters had three publications so I pretty much learned the tools required to be involved in research and writing papers from this so I am quite independent now.

I have two papers published and one submitted and now I would like to try to find a supervisor and university preferably here in Ireland but I would also look outside of Ireland for a potential supervisor. I would like to try to follow the PHd by publication route as I work in an institute that already has the funding and equipment to carry out the research and I hope to continues publishing even though it is not a requirement of my job. However I need some guidance as to how it would fit with a universities/colleges requirements for a Phd by publication.

I would be very grateful if people could give me details of (a) IT colleges and universities in Ireland that carry out the PHD by publication type of degree and (b) that allow you to write a thesis with the published papers as the main chapters and an introduction and discussion and conclusions etc i.e not the traditional way of writing a thesis.

Thank you so much to everyone for their suggestions in advance :D

It can be done, but typically is for staff already in the system who are in your position. TCD are fairly flexible, so contact whoever is the director of postgraduate teaching and research in the relevant school for a chat. If you are as you say you are it would not be difficult to get a supervisior to take you on. Topping ad tailing a set of linked papers is very doable. Its what I did, btw, via Stirling in scotland. The key thing is that you do the papers de novo, not existing papers in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

This is more common in Scandanavia than Ireland. Irish universities still require that you attend for a minimum of 3 years to carry out the research under a supervisor or supervisory team. While publication is an important facet of the work, the thesis and viva voce is still the basis for awarding the degree. Also, Irish uni's are starting to bring in more requirements, for example UCD now REQUIRES phd candidates to do a certain amount of skills training.

An alternative route you might investigate is the professional doctorate?

HI HunnyMonster,
    Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what a professional doctorate is and secondly which universities/colleges have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

blucey wrote: »
    It can be done, but typically is for staff already in the system who are in your position. TCD are fairly flexible, so contact whoever is the director of postgraduate teaching and research in the relevant school for a chat. If you are as you say you are it would not be difficult to get a supervisior to take you on. Topping ad tailing a set of linked papers is very doable. Its what I did, btw, via Stirling in scotland. The key thing is that you do the papers de novo, not existing papers in other words.

Hi Blucey,

Many thanks for your reply. The area I am working in is analytical chemistry and the work is chromatography based (GC-MS/MS and LC-MS/MS) Could you give me the heads up on a suitable person in a suitable department whom would be open to discussion about my options if you already have good knowledge of the TCD system.

Many thanks

You mentioned Stirling in Scotland. Is this type of degree available there ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Hi Blucey,

Many thanks for your reply. The area I am working in is analytical chemistry and the work is chromatography based (GC-MS/MS and LC-MS/MS) Could you give me the heads up on a suitable person in a suitable department whom would be open to discussion about my options if you already have good knowledge of the TCD system.

Many thanks

You mentioned Stirling in Scotland. Is this type of degree available there ?

pm me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement