Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD - jumping off a cliff?!

Options
  • 23-01-2009 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have been considering doing a PhD for the last year or so, but its always been like "i have the option to do one" or "its something i'd be interested in doing and i'll seriously consider at the time". To be fair, i am very interested in the field i'm in and have an paticular area which i think is important and relevent.

So having recently contacted a potential supervisor (which i should of done months ago!) i'm now rushing to get an application for IRCHSS funding. but in the process i'm kicking up major doubts and insecurities. Am I good enough? can i handle the income drop (even with funding), prospects/job security after completion (if i ever got there). would i not be better off doing the HDIP, trying to get a proper job?

Basically, having to pull the finger out has really started me asking serious questions and its wrecking the head. just wanted to see if any other potential/current PhD are going through the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Get your funding application in first, that will answer a lot of your questions. If you get funding then you are probably ready. If you don't get funding (or even if you do) you'll get feedback on your application, which will tell you where you stand. You aren't forced to take the phd either once you are offered funding, if you decide its not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

would i not be better off doing the HDIP, trying to get a proper job?

The folks on the teaching forum seem to be having trouble finding 'proper jobs' with their HDips at the moment - don't know if that helps you in any way but you do seem to be taking your chances whatever path you take. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 theprizelamb

claire h wrote: »
    The folks on the teaching forum seem to be having trouble finding 'proper jobs' with their HDips at the moment - don't know if that helps you in any way but you do seem to be taking your chances whatever path you take. :)

sorry - meant doing the HDIP or get a prper job in the private sector - either way I'd say getting a job in either of those areas would be tough.

Advertisement