Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

spotlights and foglights

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Cars look cooler with their front fogs on :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    He is saying that although the Evo light are legal, people have been known to need retinal surgery after driving against them.

well thats not true at all, the spots on the evo are the same brightness as your headlights, so people would never be blinded by them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

kceire wrote: »
    well thats not true at all, the spots on the evo are the same brightness as your headlights, so people would never be blinded by them at all.

Personally I dont see whats wrong with using just the headlights like most other cars on the road, spots or no spots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Personally I dont see whats wrong with using just the headlights like most other cars on the road, spots or no spots

i know, i was just pointing out that not all spots or fogs are illegal.

more of an effort to turn on spots, just turn the knob one more click and yurn your headlights on :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bluefoam wrote: »

If you're 17, have a baseball cap permanently mounted to your head, and a 50 Cent or Basshunter CD taped in to your knock-off JVC sound system you bought off Deco or Anto down the pub; possibly they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

kceire wrote: »

They are probably alot less likely to blind someone seen as they are lower down than the regular lights id imagine.

Can you get a lower watt bulb for fogs? So people who insist on putting them on wouldnt annoy the rest of us as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Seperate switch i would imagine, but i have seen some 4x4's with their high beams and spots linked together so i presume it can be done.

I believe most spots are hooked up to the main high beam as i've seen and worked on trucks. or even a truck flashing its lights, you'll notice the spots (if fitted) flashing too in perfect sequence.

Do people still regularly fit spots to cars? haven't seen any lately except on rally cars tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

HJL wrote: »
    They are probably alot less likely to blind someone seen as they are lower down than the regular lights id imagine.

Can you get a lower watt bulb for fogs? So people who insist on putting them on wouldnt annoy the rest of us as much?

Is it not the angle of them as opposed to the wattage that makes the difference though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

106gti has spotlights on the front, look very like foglights but are linked directly to the high beams and only come on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

congo_90 wrote: »
    I believe most spots are hooked up to the main high beam as i've seen and worked on trucks. or even a truck flashing its lights, you'll notice the spots (if fitted) flashing too in perfect sequence.

Do people still regularly fit spots to cars? haven't seen any lately except on rally cars tbh

Yep, i was asking a fella about it last night.

He said they would mainly be hooked up into the high beams, but there is an option for a switch for those who drive off road etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MYOB wrote: »
    If you're 17, have a baseball cap permanently mounted to your head, and a 50 Cent or Basshunter CD taped in to your knock-off JVC sound system you bought off Deco or Anto down the pub; possibly they do.

Lads, leave it out, Peasant has all ready warned about derailing the thread.

It been quite a usefull and informative thread so far with a lot of valid discussion on the subject. It would be a shame to see it descend into the usual fog light mess.

I also second the sticky-ing of this (after a bit of clearout;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is best done with the use of a relay switch and seperate fuse on the power supply. If you simply tap off the existing supply to the headlights there is serious risk of overloading the circuit and "poof" :eek:.
    This also gives the option to have an isolation switch if you want to turn the spots off while still having main beams.
    Cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The spots on my jeep have both an illuminated switch and a relay linked to the main beam.
    If the switch is in the "off" position the spots don't light up regardless of what I do with my main beams. If the switch is in the "on" position the spots turn on and off with my main beams. The spots cannot be turned on unless the main beams are on. I believe this is the best way to have them fitted for normal road use.

I'm sure it's not very common but what are the rules for "spot" lights on the back or a jeep etc.

I.e. For reversing up to horsebox in the dark/working in fields?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm sure it's not very common but what are the rules for "spot" lights on the back or a jeep etc.

You can have as many worklights as you like , pointing in any direction you like, but when on the public road, you can't have white light showing at the rear, and you can't dazzle other motorists with front/side mounted ones.
    ie. switch them off when driving on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

First of all, I'd be surprised if your taillights plus reversing lights didn't give you enough light to reverse up to a horsebox.

Second, if you really needed extra light in such a situation, a swivel-mounted spotlight like on american police cars or safari jeeps would probably be ideal.

I'm sure it'd be illegal to use white reversing lights significantly brighter than you find on most cars on a public road... but then if you're in a private field somewhere, do what ye like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Also thought I'd add: I don't recommend using the term spotlights as it's used in this thread. It's pretty ambiguous, given that any light with a focused beam could be called a spotlight.

I recommend the term "auxiliary high-beam lamp" instead. It also makes it evident exactly what it is and how it's used just by the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Rovi wrote: »
    you can't have white light showing at the rear

What about your reverse light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Okay, while driving forwards on the public road, you can't have any white light showing at the rear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If your driving on the road and you see the car in front of you has its reversing lioghts on the last thing you should be worried about is being blinded

• Advertisement

Slig wrote: »
    If your driving on the road and you see the car in front of you has its reversing lioghts on the last thing you should be worried about is being blinded

LOL, unless you're behind a Renault in which case the light could be on for any number of reasons:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

LOL, unless you're behind a Renault in which case the light could be on for any number of reasons:D

I like that... I call it the christmass tree effect

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This thread has now been linked to from the charter/FAQ

closed, before it drifts off topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement