Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree confusion

Options
  • 21-01-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Hey, basically Ive been accepted onto a computer animation MSc course in the UK, but I would expect it involves a lot of modeling. Atm I'm a pretty crude modeler, my models have a lot of bad geometry, n-shape faces, instead of quads and triangles, creases etc, I've been using MAYA on and off since September. This kind of reflects what I was like at art in school, I got an A, quite good at drawing and colouring but tended to avoid sculpture as whenever I tried it the piece would end up looking crap. Now I don't want to end up doing a course that I could easily fail due my less than fantastic modelling skills, I do want a job out of this. On the other hand I've been considering academic courses, in political philosophy, history or English. I was fairly good at academia in uni, got a 1st class honours and it would be nice to return to something that is intellectually satisfying. However, if I was to do that I would want to get onto a phd program and I don't think I have the ability for that. Also if I were to do a phd I would have to support myself with my current skillset, namely teaching which I hate. I would honestly like to do computer anim first, and then maybe migrate back to academia but whats handicapping me is my lack of ability in modeling. My brain is rebelling against me with its shtty spatial reasoning software. What should I do? Has anyone experience of computer anim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

I know this is postgrad related but there is a Computer and Tech forum which has alot of experienced IT posters that might be able to give you an answer

Advertisement