Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling knitted items in dublin

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to start selling my knitted items.

Does anyone know any shops in dublin which buy handmade knitted items?

I live in dublin city center.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I don't know about selling to shops unfortunately, but have you tried selling on etsy. There's a dedicated forum to selling on it on http://www.craftster.org if you are interested. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Are you a member on www.ravelry.com? It's brilliant for knitters and has a list of all the yarn shops in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thanks a lot lemon_sherbet! I will definitely try for etsy and will check out the forum too. Thanks once again.

No, currently I am not a member of ravelry.com! Will register on it now.
    Thanks for the link, highly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Ravelry is the best thing ever if you're into knitting, crochet, spinning. It's more than a forum, you can log all your projects, sell patterns and promote your stuff as well. Check out the Irish Knitters group. Warning: It's very addictive :D

If you decide to sell on etsy check out Crafty Team Ireland
    http://craftyireland.com/

I've thought about selling knitted goods but it seems hard to get people to pay the price you ask for a handmade item when they can get one in the shops much cheaper. Etsy or the like might be the way to go as the people buying there want handmade items.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for reply laura. Yes, I checked out ravelry, it seems to be pretty good. Are you selling handmade knitted items currently? Apologies for my silly questions, I am completely new to online selling, how do you get the tags for the items you are shipping to the client, i mean for knits you want to send the washing instructions for the item and how do you ship it? Coz the courier prices I checked out and they are immensely high, got a shock of my life i mean no one is going to pay me that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

*waves* That's me "nearlythere" on the Etsy site. I'm just nearly here, lol.

Etsy is a great site.

There's also My E hive, which is UK/Ireland specific. http://www.myehive.com/

Thing is... you have to aim v high for sales for knitting.

I crochet, and I was really wanting to sell crocheted cuties. I looked into it, crunched those numbers, and they said basically, I'd be working for a fraction of minimum wage, because it takes me so freeking long to make an item. I have to rethink entirely what I could make. Because no one is going to pay me €60 for a monkey just because it took me 10 hours to make the little fella.

I did an insanely long post on my blog comparing different places to sell... you might find it helpful:

http://making.nearlythere.com/2008/11/02/etsy-alternatives-and-supplements/

Best wishes to you, hope to see you on Etsy soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

kknitter wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to start selling my knitted items.

Does anyone know any shops in dublin which buy handmade knitted items?

I live in dublin city center.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
    Hi kknitter, isnt it frustrating! Small select boutiques might buy from you, but your design,work and finish must be excellent. Most of the online sites are filled with really mundane and crappy stuff,I find,and you have to compete with millions of others. If you have one really good garment,get it perfect and bring it from shop to shop even to get feedback . You could also try renting a stall at a market to sell your stuff. Also remember that shops will want vat tax number invoice etc.etc.

Advertisement