Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saint Brigid's Crosses

Options
  • 20-01-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is anywhere to learn this craft now, or is it simply past on from generation to generation? :confused:

It would be a shame to see such a tradition and respect for one of our patron saints to die. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I found this page here, gives a description. It seems easy enough, I wonder do any groups get together on the feast to make these crosses together? :confused:

http://www.iol.ie/~scphadr/makecross.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've made a few in my time, I prefer rushes to reeds though, it's very very simple as your link shows. My aunt used to make intricate ones from straw in Dublin years ago, I wonder if she still knows how, I must get a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've made a few in my time, I prefer rushes to reeds though, it's very very simple as your link shows. My aunt used to make intricate ones from straw in Dublin years ago, I wonder if she still knows how, I must get a lesson.

Thats good to hear. We will should learn the craft to ensure it does not die out. Ive made ones before out of rushes but I forget now how to make one but I must learn in the next couple of weeks before the feast of Saint Brigid ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I usually make them in the summer when you can collect the rushes without getting soaked or drowning!

If you find an e-how about how to make the more intricate designs post the link here. Not having much luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try the National Museum of Country Life just outside Castlebar (www.museum.ie), they often hold free courses/ workshops on this sort of things. If you can't make it in person you could write/email them and ask them if they can send out to you some "instructions".

• Advertisement
Advertisement