Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Annes Park?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

What is happening at the front of the park where the pond is? Are they getting rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, they are saying they "can't maintain" the pond anymore. Don't know how they managed through the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's to be honest. They seem to have more tractors, buggies, trailers and equipment than ever now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Ahh that's a right shame. I liked the fountain that was lit up at night. Surely it's costing more money to get rid of it than to scrape some leaves & scum from it every now and again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Is this the south-east corner of the park? I presume they're not removing the larger pond with the lake-house style structure that's further along the coast?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,016 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Anytime I have been there recently, the pond and the stream feeding it reeked of sewerage, so I'm not surprised they're redeveloping it.
    The other pond is far nicer anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Nannakin was badly polluted a while go, there was a significant fish kill, the sewerage was leaked from apartments in Santry from what I read. I really don't know how the hell they can preserve the badger sets! They bulldozed over exactly where they were!

Any birdies here, there is a kingfisher darting around where the river comes out on the coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

lightening wrote: »
    Any birdies here, there is a kingfisher darting around where the river comes out on the coast!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431985

Careful not to disturb.

Pity about the pond and waterfall. I'd a lot of fun messing there when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Spotted 3 herons there. Amazing site when they fly off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, the Nannakin was badly polluted a while go, there was a significant fish kill, the sewerage was leaked from apartments in Santry from what I read

Does the nanniken run through santry?I thought that was the Santry river?

I'm not sure. I know the one in the park is the Nannakin and one of the gardeners told me about the sewerage from Santry. Do they join up at one stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Degsy wrote: »
    Does the nanniken run through santry?I thought that was the Santry river?

The Santry and Nanniken are two seperate rivers. But the corpo made an artificial link between the Santry River and the Naniken River, to reduce the flow of the latter and to allow handling of any flooding in either watercourse.

More info here.

Saw a dead mullet in the older pond when i was a kid..i wonder had it made its way from the sea or is there a population in the pond.

I used to play at the pond as a kid many years ago, late 50s early 60s (before the corpo made any changes to the original) and the only living creatures I saw were sticklebacks and newts (we used to think they were lizards). Never saw anything like a mullet though.

There used to be a tombstone beside the old house, near the pond. It was the grave of a dog that had died, probably a pet of the original owners.

Happy memories of St Anne's Woods (as we used to call it).

Rashers wrote: »
    I used to play at the pond as a kid many years ago, late 50s early 60s (before the corpo made any changes to the original) and the only living creatures I saw were sticklebacks and newts (we used to think they were lizards). Never saw anything like a mullet though.

There used to be a tombstone beside the old house, near the pond. It was the grave of a dog that had died, probably a pet of the original owners.

Happy memories of St Anne's Woods (as we used to call it).

There were definatly rudd in the pond as well,my uncle stocked it when he was a kid and i remember seeing them going after bread and worms when i was fishing there..my hooks were always too big and i never caught one!

There were definatly rudd in the pond as well,my uncle stocked it when he was a kid and i remember seeing them going after bread and worms when i was fishing there..my hooks were always too big and i never caught one!

I don't doubt it, it's just that I never saw anything there bigger than a stickleback.

Anyway, we used to do our fishing in the Shooting Grounds..... part of which is now called Edenmore. But back then the ground (or at least the shooting part) was owned by Garnett and Keegan of Parliament St.

Oops... I'm going off topic. Sorry.

I don't doubt it, it's just that I never saw anything there bigger than a stickleback.

Anyway, we used to do our fishing in the Shooting Grounds..... part of which is now called Edenmore. But back then the ground (or at least the shooting part) was owned by Garnett and Keegan of Parliament St.

Oops... I'm going off topic. Sorry.

Off topic again but do you happen to have apic of Grangemore,charlie haughey's old place?

Off topic again but do you happen to have apic of Grangemore,charlie haughey's old place?

If I haven't I'll try and get one.

If I haven't I'll try and get one.

Thanks..the Donahies too if you can!

Advertisement