Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit v NUIG

Options
  • 20-01-2009 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all,

I'm considering doing a masters in Smurfit in either Supply Chain Management or Mgmt Consultancy...

I'm also considering doing a Msc in Corporate Strategy and people management in Nuig...

What I want to know is if the prestige of Smurfit really matters to prospective employers, could the fact that a student went to Smurfit as opposed to Nuig make him more employable?

Also if anyone went to Smurfit - Whats it like? Is there any atmosphere on campus at all? Is it just like a continuation of UCD?

Im final year Ec and Fi in UCD and tbh Im quite sick of the place hence Nuig looks tempting for a change..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

theesicko wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm considering doing a masters in Smurfit in either Supply Chain Management or Mgmt Consultancy...

I'm also considering doing a Msc in Corporate Strategy and people management in Nuig...

What I want to know is if the prestige of Smurfit really matters to prospective employers, could the fact that a student went to Smurfit as opposed to Nuig make him more employable?

Also if anyone went to Smurfit - Whats it like? Is there any atmosphere on campus at all? Is it just like a continuation of UCD?

Im final year Ec and Fi in UCD and tbh Im quite sick of the place hence Nuig looks tempting for a change..

Smurfit is known as one of the top business schools in the world so it might make a difference to some employers especially global companies as they tend to recruit heavily from the top 100 business schools but its not a golden ticket, a great student from NUIG will always outshine a poor student from Smurfit and vice versa.

Business school reputations tend to be self fulfilling prophecies, if its known as the best it tends to attract the best students which then enhances the reputation and so on but Smurfit doesnt have any business "secrets", they teach the same theory as any other school in the world and they cant turn a student into a success- that will always be down to the individual.

If you feel a change of scenery would enhance your life, make you happier and therefore make you a better student then go with NUIG. If your miserable in Smurfit then no amount of reputation is going to make it a better experience and you could even end up dropping out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

JDLK wrote: »
    Smurfit is known as one of the top business schools in the world so it might make a difference to some employers especially global companies as they tend to recruit heavily from the top 100 business schools but its not a golden ticket, a great student from NUIG will always outshine a poor student from Smurfit and vice versa.

Business school reputations tend to be self fulfilling prophecies, if its known as the best it tends to attract the best students which then enhances the reputation and so on but Smurfit doesnt have any business "secrets", they teach the same theory as any other school in the world and they cant turn a student into a success- that will always be down to the individual.

If you feel a change of scenery would enhance your life, make you happier and therefore make you a better student then go with NUIG. If your miserable in Smurfit then no amount of reputation is going to make it a better experience and you could even end up dropping out.

Hmmm....no doubt you have a link to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

blucey wrote: »

No problem,

Smurfits own explanation of its renown, including its "triple accreditation" which only a select few business schools have achieved
    http://www.smurfitschool.ie/aboutsmurfit/rankingsandaccreditation/

Finacial times ranks Smurfit in the top 100
    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

The economist ranks Smurfit in the top 40
    http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2008rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

blucey wrote: »

It's true, it's consistently ranked as one of the best. This isn't everything of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

theesicko wrote: »
    Hey all,

Hi there,

First off, Smurfit have an MBS course in corporate strategy, might be worth a look? I'm an MBS Consultancy student in Smurfit, if you'd like to discuss the course/campus, PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement