Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LASER EYE SURGERY - GOOD or BAD experiences.... where to go??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

I had the LASEK wavefront surgery done last July. Wavefront surgery is 25% more accurate than the regular LASIK. It tracks even the slightest eye movement during surgery, ensuring an even sharper line of vision afterwards. I have an astigmatism in both eyes, and had no problem. The surgery was expensive at 3100 euro, but I got 1k back from my insurance company, or you can claim back 20% back on a Medical tax refund form.

I had a free consultation, where they do an extensive about of tests on your eyes. The surgery was only about 10mins long. There was no pain at all, just slightly disturbing since you can see everything they are doing. They put in some bandages contact lenses which I had to keep in for a week. They give you a small bag with different eye drops (antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, moisturing and pain relief) and eye shields to wear while sleeping.

I did have some discomfort for the first 3 days, but the pain relief drops and a few Panadol sorted that out. The rest of the discomfort was just the horrid feeling of having week old contacts in! They just felt so dry, and since you have to sleep in they aswell. I was constantly putting in moisturing drops.

At the end of the week they took my bandage contacts out, and did a few eye tests to make sure my eyes were healing properly. You still have to keep up the eye drops for the suggested times and days. But it was no problem at all.

My eye sight is now better than 20/20, I could see 2 lines below the 20/20 line on the chart. I do not have any halos, blurred vision, pain or additional problems. I would totally recommend this to anyone. I had my surgery done at the Wellington Optilase clinic. They give you a YEAR worth of check up appointments for free with your surgery. Plus your eyes are covered by them for your lifetime if you ever have any problems you can go back to them for free.

The couple days of pain and shelling out of 3k was totally worth not having to wear glasses or contacts anymore. I can now wear sunglasses whenever I want!

The only word of warning I do have is: no matter where you get this done, make sure they are a reputable place! A friend of mine went to bulgaria since the surgery is cheaper than, and thought she could have a holiday afterwards. She had major problems with her eyes after surgery and she can now barely see. Cheaper is not always better. Remember that old saying, You get what you pay for!!

If anyone has questions they would like to ask, pm me and i'll be happy to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

Got my laser surgery done here ; http://www.cathedraleye.com/

Dr Moore Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishbreeze

I had the LASEK wavefront surgery done last July. Wavefront surgery is 25% more accurate than the regular LASIK. It tracks even the slightest eye movement during surgery, ensuring an even sharper line of vision afterwards. I have an astigmatism in both eyes, and had no problem. The surgery was expensive at 3100 euro, but I got 1k back from my insurance company, or you can claim back 20% back on a Medical tax refund form.

I had a free consultation, where they do an extensive about of tests on your eyes. The surgery was only about 10mins long. There was no pain at all, just slightly disturbing since you can see everything they are doing. They put in some bandages contact lenses which I had to keep in for a week. They give you a small bag with different eye drops (antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, moisturing and pain relief) and eye shields to wear while sleeping.

I did have some discomfort for the first 3 days, but the pain relief drops and a few Panadol sorted that out. The rest of the discomfort was just the horrid feeling of having week old contacts in! They just felt so dry, and since you have to sleep in they aswell. I was constantly putting in moisturing drops.

At the end of the week they took my bandage contacts out, and did a few eye tests to make sure my eyes were healing properly. You still have to keep up the eye drops for the suggested times and days. But it was no problem at all.

My eye sight is now better than 20/20, I could see 2 lines below the 20/20 line on the chart. I do not have any halos, blurred vision, pain or additional problems. I would totally recommend this to anyone. I had my surgery done at the Wellington Optilase clinic. They give you a YEAR worth of check up appointments for free with your surgery. Plus your eyes are covered by them for your lifetime if you ever have any problems you can go back to them for free.

The couple days of pain and shelling out of 3k was totally worth not having to wear glasses or contacts anymore. I can now wear sunglasses whenever I want!

The only word of warning I do have is: no matter where you get this done, make sure they are a reputable place! A friend of mine went to bulgaria since the surgery is cheaper than, and thought she could have a holiday afterwards. She had major problems with her eyes after surgery and she can now barely see. Cheaper is not always better. Remember that old saying, You get what you pay for!!

If anyone has questions they would like to ask, pm me and i'll be happy to help :)

Great to hear you are happy with your decision. would you mind share to us whom you went with? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mochara1

I got LASIK eye surgery done with Optical Express. Cost me 2900 euro but I'd recommend them to anyone. They were very helpful before, during and after my treatment. I was able to change the date of my surgery and times of aftercare appointments very easily and I thought the aftercare treatment was top class too.

mochara1 wrote: »
    I got LASIK eye surgery done with Optical Express. Cost me 2900 euro but I'd recommend them to anyone. They were very helpful before, during and after my treatment. I was able to change the date of my surgery and times of aftercare appointments very easily and I thought the aftercare treatment was top class too.

Mochara1,
    When did you have it done? who was your surgeon? thanks.

• Advertisement

Mochara1,
    When did you have it done? who was your surgeon? thanks.

I cannot remember the name of the surgeon. It wasn't a traditional Irish name anyway! He was very helpful though along with the other staff. I got it done on the 20th of December in the Dublin clinic. Just over 4 months now. I was officially discharged a month ago with 20/20 vision.

mochara1 wrote: »
    I cannot remember the name of the surgeon. It wasn't a traditional Irish name anyway! He was very helpful though along with the other staff. I got it done on the 20th of December in the Dublin clinic. Just over 4 months now. I was officially discharged a month ago with 20/20 vision.

Thanks Mochara1. What did you mean by "I was officially discharged a month ago with 20/20 vision."

Do you still need to use drops for dry eyes etc.? What was the treatment you had?

Thanks Mochara1. What did you mean by "I was officially discharged a month ago with 20/20 vision."

Do you still need to use drops for dry eyes etc.? What was the treatment you had?

I got the LASIK treatment. This and LASEK were my only options with optical express because I played quite a bit of sport. Not much of a difference except regarding recovery time. Seem to have similar success rate. These are different from the procedure which is advertised as 495 per eye. However its worth considering because even if you don't play sport you never know when you could get a bang.

What I meant by officially discharged was it's my own choice whether I go back or not now. They'll give me a free check-up every 2 years and will perform the procedure at no extra cost if my eyes are not up to standard.

After my treatment I had an appointment the next day, 1 week, 3 weeks and 3 months after procedure before been "officially discharged" as I said. I finished using the drops after 3 months but it isn't much hassle really when you have to use them.

Advertisement