Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes shopping in Oz

Options
  • 14-01-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My Australian friend tells me clothes shopping is really expensive in Oz. She lives in London now and finds it cheaper.

Is this really the case? Going there for a holiday and looking forward to some retail therapy - my usual shops are Penneys, H&M, A-wear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

In Ireland clothing is one of the few things that is competitively priced compared to most other countries, so yes, it's expensive enough in Oz. It's not frighfully dear but it's certainly no cheaper than back here. However, while I was there I found that the high street shopping was pretty average to say the least and I'd really recommend that you stock up on all your basics and favourites before you head over. Amazingly, despite their being the 3 biggest clothing companies in the world, there isn't a single Zara, Gap or H&M on the entire continent (these shops are where I do most of my clothes shopping) and there isn't a single one of the Brittish high street chains either. Of course Oz has its own versions but they're nowhere near as good. Melbourne is good enough for shopping but I found Sydney pretty dire. In both cities the branded shopping is excellent but I dunno if you're gonna be able to afford Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Guess, Diesel, Bulgari and the likes when you're over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I didn't find shopping great when I was over there. From the shops you've named you'll probably like Cotton On, Supre, Sports Girl, Target and Bardot.

I thought surf shops would be cheap enough over there but not so. Cheaper in the states!

The range of shops were better in Melbourne than Sydney. Head to Chapel Street, Prahran in Melbounre for lots of shops. Or if in Sydney Bondi Junction, there's a big shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Thanks girls for the info. I will keep a note of those shops and streets while I'm over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

If you like Penneys clothes, take a peek in Target and KMart, i went mental on lingerie in those shops...try gloria jeans, i swear to god, they look like earl jeans..Diva for all things girly and frothy, but yeah it is quite expensive. Also a warning, the stuff is very seasonal orientated too, and i mean really seasonal orientated, i went in may to aug last yr and it was only when i was set to come home, that the nicer stock for their summer was coming on sale.. have a ball down under..!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 godeas

my second time in Oz was in August and boy did we shop til we drop!!

got some gorgeous dresses for dirt cheap in Paddys Market. Westfields in Boni was crap. There are a few cool clothes shops beside the Cotton On shop on George St. Sydney.

Good inexpensive shops you should visit would be Sportsgirl, Cotton On, Dotty, Supre, Portmans, Target and K-Mart.

Witchery is lovely and extremely popular but it is a little bit more expensive.

Have a great holiday :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement