Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year Masters - how much?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at some masters in Trinity and they claim to cost about 1600 for 1 year,

is this the full fee, or are there other fees that I hsould now about

I was under the impression that these masters cost like 10grand,

is that just for Smurfit or something?

cheers.

Comments

See here (PDF) from page 8 onwards for a list of all fees for Trinity Postgraduate courses. But yeah, if it says only €1,600 then that's it. Although Trinity does have a 'Commencement Fee' of over €100 which is basically a money making exercise.

The above charges are for 2008/09 btw, it could change if you start your masters in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

oh wow terrific,
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

IT related courses supported by the advanced skills programme are subsidised by the HEA, the fee the student pays is €1750 this year, these include some in Trinity and even one in Smurfit.
    http://www.hea.ie/en/skills+funding

Most other masters are more than this, right up to €20000+ for a MBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

All the taught postgrads in the School of Computing in DCU cost €1750 last academic year (2007/8). They're HEA funded as you said but also they tend to rise by €150 approx every year (they were €1600 for the academic year 2006/7). (more info: www.dcu.ie/computing)

The HEA don't normally confirm figures until summer but I reckon there'll still be some change from 2K (which is still very good for a postgrad course). It'll probably be €1900 for academic year 2009/10. Mostly cos the government wants highly skilled IT persons in our workforce - they're very sought after, in Ireland and everywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Dont forget to factor in that you might have to pay towards the "students union contribution fund" or something along those lines... :rolleyes:

IIRC, that was just under €100 here (UL) this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I'm commencing a Masters in Sept which is also funded. 2 years part time costs a total of 1750. However I was led to believe by mates (have not asked the university yet) that there is student capitation fees of 1500 euro or so a year. Is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Flaccus wrote: »
    I'm commencing a Masters in Sept which is also funded. 2 years part time costs a total of 1750. However I was led to believe by mates (have not asked the university yet) that there is student capitation fees of 1500 euro or so a year. Is this true ?
    It might vary from college to college, but I did a funded IT conversion masters in UCC last year and the €1600 (as it was then) included everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Should have read my letter of offer more carefully. The fee includes everything including capitation. A relief then.

Advertisement