Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Players Lounge, Dublin Singles Competition

Options
  • 13-01-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Darts competition starting Saturday 17th January in The Players Lounge, Fairview Strand, Dublin 3. (It's near barcode AFAIK)

It is same format as the Saturday Competition that used to run in the Horse and Jockey in the early 2000’s some of you might have played in it or heard of it.

Prize money: €400 guaranteed every Saturday and it's €10 entrance fee.

3 x 601 games Double Start, after 10 weeks Qualifiers play-off for €1,200.

I will get the starting time for you in a while as it was not given to me but I take it will be between 6-7pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Do you have to register beforehand or is it just turn up on the night?

Details of the venue
    http://www.fairview-marino.com/players-lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Turn up I would say, that's the way the Horse and Jockey one was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

This isn't too far from the house. I may have found a place to hide on the weekends !!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Thats the old Fairview Inn. Playing a league match there tonight, will find out what the story is and put it up here.

Carrickman wrote: »
    (It's near barcode AFAIK) Not really, its at the other end, beside the church.

I will get the starting time for you in a while as it was not given to me but I take it will be between 6-7pm. Probably closer to 5.30.

Just to add, looking at the format it looks like its being run by Bobby Toland. I know he was looking for a venue after The Tram shut. Some here might have played in the Saturday comps there, always a good night.

• Advertisement

It is Bobby's competition alright and it starts at 5pm. Diden't know that The Tram shut.

Carrickman wrote: »
    It is Bobby's competition alright and it starts at 5pm. Diden't know that The Tram shut.

Good (Carrick)man !!!

Perfect start for a night out of drinking and darts.

I'll definitely try to make it out on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 acdc

hi there hoe to enter in the tournament???im from spain i dont know anybody that plays or any pub in my area i used to play in spain a lot of competitions but with electronics plastic darts but i got metal darts and i would like to start playing again ,what do i have to do??any team i can join ,any help i would be greatful to you.thanks juan

acdc wrote: »
    hi there hoe to enter in the tournament???im from spain i dont know anybody that plays or any pub in my area i used to play in spain a lot of competitions but with electronics plastic darts but i got metal darts and i would like to start playing again ,what do i have to do??any team i can join ,any help i would be greatful to you.thanks juan

Just show up on the night and bring your tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

acdc wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047187
    This might help, where are you living?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 acdc

i live in finglas beside charlestown shopping center.
    unfortunatley i dont have anybody to go with on sat and to go in my own it feels a bit crapy plus i havent got a clue how to get there/

Few more details about this,

Money...
    Winner 200
    R/up 100
    S/F 50

Points...
    Winner 8 pts
    R/up 6
    S/F 4
    Q/F 2
    Loyalty 1 ..... top 16 qualify for the final Saturday.

Fantastic venue too, might I add.

Now there is no excuse for all the people on here always looking for competitions and its almost city centre.

AndyP wrote: »
    Few more details about this,

Money...
    Winner 200
    R/up 100
    S/F 50

Points...
    Winner 8 pts
    R/up 6
    S/F 4
    Q/F 2
    Loyalty 1 ..... top 16 qualify for the final Saturday.

Fantastic venue too, might I add.

Now there is no excuse for all the people on here always looking for competitions and its almost city centre.

I was wondering how it was going to work. I'll miss at least the 2nd and 3rd weeks while I am out of the country, but should be back in time to throw week #4.

I'll be there on Saturday afternoon.

Looking forward to getting out and damaging the wall !!

Just getting home from the night's festivities. There were 56 people who turned out to throw tonight.

Big thanks to Bobby who was running the show this evening. I have to say that it was one of the best run pub tournaments that I have been to.

Looking forward to trying to make it to as many of these nights as possible.

Week 1 results
    Last 8
    Shane O'Connor
    John Bell
    Anto Turner
    Gerry Healy
    Terry Meehan
    Keith Byrne
    Robert Moore
    Barney Reddy

Semi Finals
    Shane O'Connor 2-1 Anto Turner
    Terry Meehan 2-1 Robert Moore

Final
    Shane O'Connor 3-1 Terry Meehan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just getting home from the night's festivities. There were 56 people who turned out to throw tonight.

Big thanks to Bobby who was running the show this evening. I have to say that it was one of the best run pub tournaments that I have been to.

Looking forward to trying to make it to as many of these nights as possible.

How did you do Rented? Did you win any matches?

Kingp35 wrote: »
    How did you do Rented? Did you win any matches?

I got out of the first round and had my chances in the second.

Fair play to the man who beat me as he went in with a 130 and out with a 122 in the deciding match.

I got out of the first round and had my chances in the second.

Fair play to the man who beat me as he went in with a 130 and out with a 122 in the deciding match.

It was my team mate, Liam Mongey that beat you, he is a very handy player. I think you action sort of works against you a bit. How the hell do you get the darts to lie in the board like that, screwed you on a double 5 shot at one stage.

Me, I was beaten in the second round in a cracker against Frank Kelly.

Shane did a 170 out in his semi. Good repesentation from our tem, two in the semis and Terry played a blinder in the final.

Fair play to Bobby, run well as usual and looks good for the future of this competition.

It was my team mate, Liam Mongey that beat you, he is a very handy player. I think you action sort of works against you a bit. How the hell do you get the darts to lie in the board like that, screwed you on a double 5 shot at one stage.

Do I stick out in the crowd that badly ?? lol

I have no idea what I was happening with my first dart. It kept falling down and covering whatever I was shooting at, and I kept having to switch to 19s (which I seem to hit better than the 20s at one stage) I must not be following through on my release. This is what I get for throwing twice a year. lol

I'm heading back to the States for a few weeks, and will probably get more games in there than I have in three years living here. lol

Just an FYI to anyone intersted in going to one (or more) of the qualifiers.

The qualifiers will run for ten weeks with the exception of the 31st of January as the defending All Ireland Champions, Tyrone, will be taking on a few of the local lads at Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

is there a serious standard at this thing, or is there room for the darts fanatic turned journeyman player...?

with the like of 170 checkouts maybe i should stay away, ha

whaaames wrote: »
    is there a serious standard at this thing, or is there room for the darts fanatic turned journeyman player...?

with the like of 170 checkouts maybe i should stay away, ha

Absolutely, you should come out.

Beautiful setup and a very well run tourney.

There were 56 people there on Saturday and the standard varied across the boards. It's a great night out. I'll certainly be back again.

Just a reminder, 5pm tomorrow.

Week 2 Results
    Last 8

John Burke
    Shane O'Connor
    John Paul Kinsella
    Damien O'Brien
    Keith Crook
    John Bell
    Joe Kinsella
    Frank Kelly

Semi Finals
    Damien O'Brien 2 John Paul Kinsella 0
    Shane O'Connor 2 Keith Crook 0

Final
    Shane O'Connor 3 Damien O'Brien 0

There is no competition for next two weeks due to matches in Croke Park. Next Comp therefore is Saturday 14th February 5 pm and every Saturday thereafter.

shane won it again, suppose when theres a pdc player in the tournament he'll always be the favourite,..

mite try make an appearance the next saturday it's on, altho saturday night is the only night i work so might be difficult,..

what time does it usually go on until...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Is this still on this saturday?

Yes it is. Try to be there around 4.30 or so.

Be interesting to see who has the neck to ditch the missus for a game of darts. (I'll be there!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Be interesting to see who has the neck to ditch the missus for a game of darts. (I'll be there!).

Haha good man, i wanted to go to this myself but money is tight at the moment:( never played in a tournament so it would be good just to see what the standard is like and get a taste of the atmosphere:confused:

Has anybody come close to beating shane yet or is he practically unbeatable in this comp? Seen him at the world champs and was impressed, even tho he only averaged in the mid70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was thinking the same thing myself, hopefully gonna be there this week and have a go. That is of course unless mrs jaysoose says its 'Fine' for me to go then its an obvious trap.

• Advertisement

:) its a brave man that'd ditch the mot for a darts competition, unless of coarse your missus is anastasia dobromyslova, ha

Advertisement