Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor V Hankey Showdown...

Options
  • 11-01-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I dunno whether its done on purpose but thinkin back it seems like theres a 'showdown' every five years, like taylor barney in 99' and taylor fordham in 04', maybe this year will follow suit and have a taylor hankey shoepiece...that'd be a serious game i'd say...

any takers..???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

whaaames wrote: »
    I dunno whether its done on purpose but thinkin back it seems like theres a 'showdown' every five years, like taylor barney in 99' and taylor fordham in 04', maybe this year will follow suit and have a taylor hankey shoepiece...that'd be a serious game i'd say...

any takers..???
    the count would be home well before day light if he played the power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Taylor will not lose to any BDO player and would destroy him.

Did Barney play Taylor when he was in the BDO

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Can't see the BDO wanting to let that match happen, or why Hankey would want to play??

Hankey would probably put up a game to alot of the PDC throwers, but nobody can put it up to Taylor. Taylor beats him it'll just be another excuse for people to rubbish the BDO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

unknown13 wrote: »

Did Barney play Taylor when he was in the BDO

Yup, beat him fairly comfortably too i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Degag wrote: »
    Yup, beat him fairly comfortably too i think.

21-10 or 21-12 iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Arn't these 2 both from Stoke.........wonder if they get along with each other.

But to answer the Q doubt there will be a show down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

And don't forget the cringe-factor that Sid has probably already written "The Power has blown his nose with Hankey" :rolleyes:

Yerac wrote: »
    And don't forget the cringe-factor that Sid has probably already written "The Power has blown his nose with Hankey" :rolleyes:

:pac:
    Anyone know what average Hankey threw last night. I heard tony green say he had an average of 98 at one stage but that could have been the first 9:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

:pac:
    Anyone know what average Hankey threw last night. I heard tony green say he had an average of 98 at one stage but that could have been the first 9:rolleyes:

Not sure what his end average was but about half way through he was averaging just over 92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Only chance of this happening is if Hankey throws in the Grand Slam and he draws Taylor.

MBC wrote: »
    Arn't these 2 both from Stoke.........wonder if they get along with each other.

But to answer the Q doubt there will be a show down.

I think hankey is from stockport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Stoke-On-Trent, England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Hankey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tony o Shea is from stockport, Hankey is from Stoke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I actually think that a showdown is a very good idea for the simple reason is that will bring much needed publicity to the sport and may make more people become fans of the sport. The last two times there was a show down there were writeups in all of the papers about it and there were very big viewing figures because of the publicity it got. This can only be good for the sport.

Yes we all know that Taylor will probably win fairly easily but if the night had three matches it could be a very good night of darts.

They should hold it in Stoke because both Taylor and Hankey are from there. They could have a lineup as follows:

Lewis v Hamilton
    Dobromyslova V Bristow (Undercard)
    Hankey V Taylor (Main Event)

I think this would be a good night of darts and generate lots of publicity. Bristow has already agreed to take on Dobromyslova after she challenged him to a once off game because he was slagging her so much. Many people would be interested in that match, Lewis and Hamilton would be a great exhibition match from two Stoke Boys and then the main event between Taylor and Hankey.

What do you lot think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Love the idea and that card would be something they could even do on Box Office, but as someone already said the BDO will not let their World Champion take a pounding off Taylor. He would be immensely exposed and it would shatter people's image of them long-term. At least Barney and Fordham had the darts to not make absolute shows of themselves...Hankey notsomuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

If they did it with last years PDC champ in John Part, it could be a good match. But Taylor makes the rest of the PDC look average despite mid 90's to tonne plus averages.

Love the card, sounds like a brilliant showpiece for the sport. But could you imagine if Taylor whitewashed Kankey and Bristow beat Anastasia, it'd make a joke of both the BDO and the women's game. The type of publicity that could really backfire

Love the card, sounds like a brilliant showpiece for the sport. But could you imagine if Taylor whitewashed Kankey and Bristow beat Anastasia, it'd make a joke of both the BDO and the women's game. The type of publicity that could really backfire

Having watched Bristow throwing in the League of Legends I don't think that would happen! It was fairly embarrassing for him at times, he has totally lost it. I think Ana would beat him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I don't think Bristow slagged of Anastasia, he stated a few facts, ie she hadn't earned her right to be there, if she was a male from Russia she wouldn't have been there. Bristow said during the worlds that if 5 women qualify by right to get there then fantastic but she only got a wildcard due to her gender and not her ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I actually think that a showdown is a very good idea for the simple reason is that will bring much needed publicity to the sport and may make more people become fans of the sport. The last two times there was a show down there were writeups in all of the papers about it and there were very big viewing figures because of the publicity it got. This can only be good for the sport.

Yes we all know that Taylor will probably win fairly easily but if the night had three matches it could be a very good night of darts.

They should hold it in Stoke because both Taylor and Hankey are from there. They could have a lineup as follows:

Lewis v Hamilton
    Dobromyslova V Bristow (Undercard)
    Hankey V Taylor (Main Event)

I think this would be a good night of darts and generate lots of publicity. Bristow has already agreed to take on Dobromyslova after she challenged him to a once off game because he was slagging her so much. Many people would be interested in that match, Lewis and Hamilton would be a great exhibition match from two Stoke Boys and then the main event between Taylor and Hankey.

What do you lot think?

This is what i was talking about, remember the taylor fordham showdown, bristow played john lowe, and then wayne mardle played roland scholten before the main event, was a great night of darts. I agree taylor would win fairly convincingy, maybe 7 sets to 2 if hankey was lucky but i can't honestly see why hankey wouldn't want it, it'd be a serious money spinner, be great for ted to play on sky (i'm assuming it'd be on sky since the last one was) and be brillaint for darts,..plus i'd say they know each other well enough being 2 stokeys...

Plus i love the idea of a Dristow Dobromyslova undercard, the hype around that would be gas,..

• Advertisement

Think it could be better for ted if they ran it on Legs instead of sets... Taylor could easily beat him 7-0 on sets but hankey would definately win a few legs... 27-12 would be better than 7-0 for example.

Think it could be better for ted if they ran it on Legs instead of sets... Taylor could easily beat him 7-0 on sets but hankey would definately win a few legs... 27-12 would be better than 7-0 for example.

?? Best of 53 ?? Only jokin yeah I would imagine if it were to take place this is how it would be done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If they did it with last years PDC champ in John Part, it could be a good match. But Taylor makes the rest of the PDC look average despite mid 90's to tonne plus averages.

Most of them only get those averages against Taylor though.
    Its relatively easy to have a high 90s average if Taylor is relentessly putting in 15 dart legs and therefore you are not getting to throw at a lot of doubles.
    e.g.,
    Taylor finishes in 15 in all the legs he throws first. You score 100, 100, 85, 97.
    You've havent done anything sensational but have an average of 95.5 in those legs and Waddell talking rubbish about how your average would be winning most games.

Most of them only get those averages against Taylor though.
    Its relatively easy to have a high 90s average if Taylor is relentessly putting in 15 dart legs and therefore you are not getting to throw at a lot of doubles.
    e.g.,
    Taylor finishes in 15 in all the legs he throws first. You score 100, 100, 85, 97.
    You've havent done anything sensational but have an average of 95.5 in those legs and Waddell talking rubbish about how your average would be winning most games.

What :eek: he never, does he :D

Yeah it's very easy to have a higher average than you usually would in a match that you are getting hammered in. It's the close matches or the matches that you win that is a true reflection of your average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

As much as I don't rate the BDO all that much. I actually think on his day Hankey is a pretty good player. I recall him playing very well when he won first time around in 2000.
    If he was playing well I think the match would be respectable although Taylor still wins 99% of the time. I regard him as far better then Andy Fordham ever was. As for why he would do it, money of course. He would be guaranteed a decent payday for a 1 off match and gets lot of publicity so would likely garner sponsorship. Why wouldn't he do it?

That's where he's from but he's based in Telford, Shropshire now.

Though I'd fancy ted against many in the PDC, think Taylor would beat him alright, so unless there was a lot of money in it for him I don't see why Hankey would bother. I'm not sure Sky would be an attraction seeing as he plays to far bigger audiences on BBC. Plus the heat, the lights, the pressure, the beered up crowd roaring, he'd go bananas. Wonder will he play the grand slam later in the year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I'm not sure Sky would be an attraction seeing as he plays to far bigger audiences on BBC. Plus the heat, the lights, the pressure, the beered up crowd roaring, he'd go bananas. Wonder will he play the grand slam later in the year though?

Thats a fair comment, considering in the final last sunday he went ape when a legitimate photographer took a picture,..

But lets be honest, darts isn't golf or snooker which demands absoltue silence, darts is about the atmosphere and the buzz and the fact that fans can go and get beered up and have a laugh,..

But i still think it'd be great to have it, but the idea of a matchplay game would make it a bit more respectable, best of 41 legs; i'd see taylor winning 21 - 10/11 but suppose it's bette than 7 - 0/1.
    I'd say tho that both the bdo and andy fordham went into the showdown 5 year ago knowing that taylor was gonna win easily and convincingly but it still happened and it was great watching (for a while)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Having watched Bristow throwing in the League of Legends I don't think that would happen! It was fairly embarrassing for him at times, he has totally lost it. I think Ana would beat him.

I watched him last night from the 1997 semi-finals at Purfleet against and he was very average back then (and this was considered his comeback). I think he was averaging 83 points per round (although he did average 89 against Taylor in the semis).

I don't think he would want to throw his name into a major tourney that he wasn't going to have a good showing in.

• Advertisement

I don't think he would want to throw his name into a major tourney that he wasn't going to have a good showing in.

Well he has already agreed to play Ana in a once off €10,000 game, it's just a matter of where and when it's going to be played.

As for League of Legends he was very poor. In fairness though he suffered from the dreaded D disease and it's pretty sad seeing of the legends of the sport unable to play anymore.

Advertisement