Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA then MRes?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking an MRes after an MA is not such a good idea if you're not planning on going into research/academia? My field is broadly politics but I've been approached to do an MRes in something slightly different which, although it interests me, has no real value in terms of job prospects (I don't think anyway?). I did used to think I'd do a PhD but my MA has beaten my love of my subject outta me :(

Obviously if jobs are thin on the ground then it'd be a more attractive prospect but other than that it seems like a protracted way of getting another certificate in a field I don't plan to work in. I'd rather to the research part-time and work for a living!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

If you're really not interested in the subject any more then I would think its probably not a good idea to invest in doing an MRes. Don't do it just for the letters after your name!!
    Did you lose interest in the subject of your MA because of external factors such as supervisor issues? If thats the case, a different university and a different approach might work really well. If you're really not into the subject any more then it will be a long couple of years to go through.
    Depending on your field and the university you may be able to do the MRes part time and work at the same time. That could be worth enquiring about. Doing some research would give you transferable skills that may be useful when applying for jobs in the future (such as report-writing, data analysis, etc.).
    Hope it works out whatever you decide anyway :)

Advertisement