Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 evs

Thanks and apologies for my lazy-ass thread skimming!

As soon as I get the prescription and set my quit date I'll be back on to let you know how I go. From what I've read on this thread, the medication does seem to help significantly. I've tried everything from NRT to Allen Carr to hypnotherapy at this point so need all the help I can get. I did manage to stay off them for 3 months the first time I had hypnotherapy so I know I can get over the initial stages - I just need to get to the point where I can get off them long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

I was the same, nothing else works as well as Champix. The side effects are a hot topic but even though I've had some, I'm still on it. Do read the thread when you have time it tells all.
    Will be glad to have you on board with the rest of us, we've built up a little posse at this stage. All fighting the same battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi Evs, Welcome to the Gang! Poutbutton pretty well covered it. The cost of the program is pretty much the same here in U.S. Dollars. But it's well worth it considering the cost of smokes these days and here in the U.S. they keep raising the Cigarette Tax!
    Fortunately I've had no side adverse side effects with the exception of occasional dreams. The secret is to take as directed. Make sure you don't take the pill on an empty stomach. GOOD LUCK!! and keep in touch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pinnyoshea

Hi guys,
    just spent the last while reading the thread. Just started taking champix today and plan to quit on day 8. The posts give me hope for success but i hope the side effects dont effect me too bad. I feel a lot more prepared for whats to come from your posts. Thanks. Might pop in every now and again jus to kno there others in the same boat. On my numerous previous attempts (none using champix) I had no support base so think this could help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Yep, ok, I will join in too then :) Well done to all of you so far -I am on day 8 - first day of 2 x blue ones - (decided I will stop day 10) but honestly I have had one cigarette today, and it was FOUL so may stop sooner!

I have had some of the side effects -mainly nausea after taking the tablet, but food before taking it really helps. Very dry mouth, as if someone has wiped the insides of my cheeks with a towel -but not particularly thirsty! And a horrid horrid taste in the mouth, not metallic really but more like washing up liquid:eek: I wanna be a NON SMOKERRRRRRRRR!!! :D:D:D

I'm GONNA be a NON SMOKERRRRRRRRR!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Right, I've smoked my last cigarette. But only because I had it here, not because I wanted to -how dim is that. And it was mank, to boot.;) YAY!

Hello again Bunnyaloo,
    I just re-read your post. I've also been off cigs since January. NO don't stop the pills without consulting with your Doctor. It's suggested that you complete the 12 week program. There are a few who became complacent because they longer cared to smoke, quit the pills, and ended up back on the smokes. Do not stop on your own unless you want to end up back on the nicotine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Bunnybaloo,
    I actually took the tablets for six months! I took them for three months before I stopped smoking - during that time, I had cut down cigarettes from 25 a day to about 8-9 a day but I just couldn't make the decision to stop for good! I suppose I didn't believe that this little tablet would work! But eventually I did and when I was stopped smoking for three months, I took a further month to wean off the tablets. I was just so nervous that I would smoke again once the tablets stopped. Now I know there was probably no need to wean off the tablets for so long, but I just wanted to be sure! Best of luck

Hi folks
    Great to see all the new members giving Champix a twirl, Good luck to everyone of you, it's a brilliant aid to stopping, stick with the course & you will be a non smoker in no time. Over a month down the line now & the Cravings do still happen but not half as strong as with any other quitting programme.
    Well I had a crazy busy day/night I finally got my car back all fixed & firing on all cylinders :D thank God for good friends in the motor trade! I did'nt feel any cravings all day but you guessed it, as soon as I got home a little while ago Bam! Craving! It lasted about 20 minutes on and off but is now gone. It almost felt like I was missing smoking :eek: Daft idea!
    I'm only taking one pill a day now as my tummy was constantly upset, glad to report that all is well now, no more feeling ill all day and I sleep better & any cravings I do get are not increased in intensity, frequency or strength. So taking the dose over 24 hours rather than 12 seems to be working for me.....so far.
    This will mean I will be on the course for longer but I think it will be worth it so I'll really feel able to fight off temptation when I go off the drug completely so yep I've reduced my daily dosage but will still be on the same level as anyone else longterm, just always 24 hours behind :) {now I'm confusing myself...you know what I mean}
    Anyone have any crazy champix Dreams to report? I had a night terror last time & cant remember it now I'm glad I cant it was awful. I'm due a good one now surely......:cool:

SMK wrote: »
    Bunnybaloo,
    I actually took the tablets for six months! I took them for three months before I stopped smoking - during that time, I had cut down cigarettes from 25 a day to about 8-9 a day but I just couldn't make the decision to stop for good! I suppose I didn't believe that this little tablet would work! But eventually I did and when I was stopped smoking for three months, I took a further month to wean off the tablets. I was just so nervous that I would smoke again once the tablets stopped. Now I know there was probably no need to wean off the tablets for so long, but I just wanted to be sure! Best of luck

Hiya SMK, did the last pack come like the first pack with 2 weeks of 1mg and then the last 2 weeks 0.5mg? If that's the case, I'll be chopping my 0.5s in half! Only joking, just curious to know what the final pack looks like or is it all 1.0mg & you go "cold turkery" off Champix? I assume it is'nt addictive anyway so we should'nt have to wean ourselves off it. Perhaps it's the sign of us being true addicts thinking we have to get off it by degrees :rolleyes: almost like getting out of bed on a cold morning..easy does it.

• Advertisement

Well day 2 on champix down and still smoked 20.I know its bad but at least im starting to notice the rotten taste every time i take a pull. Didnt smoke much during the day but work as a doorman in a pub to fund university and smoked like it was goin out of fashion all night on the door.... as usual. I still feeling confident tho. very early days yet. I will get there this time. I will be free. I will be a happy non smoker on day 8 and for the rest of my life :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ha Ha I like your spirit!
    Yes You will be a non smoker and on day 12 or 15 you will turn to your colleague bouncer smoking beside you with a look of pure disgust, you will abhore {is that how you spell that word...} the smell of smoke & the smell of him/her :D You will realise how awful it USEd to make you & your home & you clothes stink but now you can re-emerge & don your favourite parfum and know that that is how you smell not like an aged ashtray festering in the grey ash of doooooooooom.;)
    enjoy the fags now while your allowed, take in each one & think that next week you are going to give your lungs the best holiday they ever had since you began the nasty habit in the first place.
    I had a smokers cough and POOOOOF it's gone! I can smell leaves on the trees! I can taste stuff I neer knew tasted the way it does! Life is good, it's better when you've given up smoking.:)

Cheers for the words of encouragement Poutbutton. Its funny normally I rush into giving up and go from 20 a day to 0 the day after deciding and last about a week to 10 days off em and the whole time thinkin i wont manage it. This time I still smoklin, plannin ahead and feel really positive about it. Cudnt be the drug yet. Think its the thread, read every last post at this stage. Neway sleep time... college begins at 9.

Hey pinnyoshea, don't worry about week one! It will take care of itself. One day 3 or 4 my desire for a smoke demished considerably. So knock yourself out and look forward to your quit date! I know Poutbutton said it was like looking forward to Christmas!

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hey pinnyoshea, don't worry about week one! It will take care of itself. One day 3 or 4 my desire for a smoke demished considerably. So knock yourself out and look forward to your quit date! I know Poutbutton said it was like looking forward to Christmas!

Boy I screwed that up royally! And I haven't even had a drink tonight!:o
    I meant "on" day 3 or 4, my desire for a smoke "deminished" Oh well this ole turd is to old to join any spelling bees anytime soon!! :D L.O.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bunnybaloo

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hello again Bunnyaloo,
    I just re-read your post. I've also been off cigs since January. NO don't stop the pills without consulting with your Doctor. It's suggested that you complete the 12 week program. There are a few who became complacent because they longer cared to smoke, quit the pills, and ended up back on the smokes. Do not stop on your own unless you want to end up back on the nicotine.
    hi dont think i would be able to stop on my own thanks so much for the advice probably be on the champix for a lot longer keep up the good work to all you non smokers

SMK wrote: »
    Bunnybaloo,
    hi SMK probably be the same as you dont think i could come off tabs for a another while but sure we have to take everyday as another day off ciggs best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Poutbutton wrote: »
    Hiya SMK, did the last pack come like the first pack with 2 weeks of 1mg and then the last 2 weeks 0.5mg? If that's the case, I'll be chopping my 0.5s in half! Only joking, just curious to know what the final pack looks like or is it all 1.0mg & you go "cold turkery" off Champix? I assume it is'nt addictive anyway so we should'nt have to wean ourselves off it. Perhaps it's the sign of us being true addicts thinking we have to get off it by degrees :rolleyes: almost like getting out of bed on a cold morning..easy does it.

Hi Poutbutton,

The last pack does come like that but then I got a prescription for just the .5mg and they didn't come in a pack, I got them in a bottle. I had an elaborate "weaning off" plan!! I started taking .5g twice a day for 5 days, then .5g once a day for five days, then 5.g every second day for a couple of weeks!! As I said before, there was probably no need to come off them like that but I felt better doing it that way.

Poutbutton wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Great to see all the new members giving Champix a twirl, Good luck to everyone of you, it's a brilliant aid to stopping, stick with the course & you will be a non smoker in no time. Over a month down the line now & the Cravings do still happen but not half as strong as with any other quitting programme.
    Well I had a crazy busy day/night I finally got my car back all fixed & firing on all cylinders :D thank God for good friends in the motor trade! I did'nt feel any cravings all day but you guessed it, as soon as I got home a little while ago Bam! Craving! It lasted about 20 minutes on and off but is now gone. It almost felt like I was missing smoking :eek: Daft idea!
    I'm only taking one pill a day now as my tummy was constantly upset, glad to report that all is well now, no more feeling ill all day and I sleep better & any cravings I do get are not increased in intensity, frequency or strength. So taking the dose over 24 hours rather than 12 seems to be working for me.....so far.
    This will mean I will be on the course for longer but I think it will be worth it so I'll really feel able to fight off temptation when I go off the drug completely so yep I've reduced my daily dosage but will still be on the same level as anyone else longterm, just always 24 hours behind :) {now I'm confusing myself...you know what I mean}
    Anyone have any crazy champix Dreams to report? I had a night terror last time & cant remember it now I'm glad I cant it was awful. I'm due a good one now surely......:cool:
    hi poutbutton just wandering did you suffer with gingivitis anytime while on champix i seem to be suffering with it now didnt know it was a aside effect until i looked it up tonite

Hi Bunnybaloo, no, I never had gingivitus, it sounds nasty! Go to your dentist quick, I believe that causes tooth loss? The only side effects I've had are a few wild dreams in about the 2nd or 3rd week, a horror one last week, my 6th week on champix I think.
    I also began to get an upset stomach in about the 4th week on the drug, it was'nt nausea after taking the tablet it was more like not being able to digest anything all day no matter how much water I took. Thats why I cut the dosage in half and my tum has been fine ever since. Cravings are no worse so I'm sticking with half the dose for now.
    Have you noticed any other side effects?

• Advertisement

Hi Poutbutton.. Guess what!!?? I hadn't mentioned it before because I hadn't considered it relevant. But back in September I was diagnosed with Polysthemia Vera. That's where your bone marrow is producing to many red blood cells causing your blood count to soar. They had to start taking 500cc's of blood weekly to keep my count down. I noticed that since January when I've gone to the Hematologist the blood count has been normal. Today I mentioned to the Physician's Assistant (he mentioned Chantix last October) that I had quit smoking on Chantix. He got so excited! He said: "That's It! The Nicotine" CONGRATULATIONS!:D

Hi Donnie I just googled it, it sounds complicated, is it causing you a lot of problems? That is good that the lack of nicotene is making a difference. I'd never heard of this one before. How s it treated?
    I had heard of Kawasaki disease, a little boy I knew once had it, it's to do with the white cells.
    How is your war wound now? Hopefully healing up well.

I brought my Mother {75} in to have a camera look inside her heart yesterday, she has a leaky valve but thankfully they've said it is'nt an issue for the moment. I had plenty of opportunity to look about me at all the people on trolleys and reaffirm my decision to stop smoking & thank God I'm healthy.

The entrance to the hospital is an unofficial smoking area & I felt like holding my nose like a 4 year old as I brought my Mum past. She has many heart problems although she never smoked, but my Dad did all of their lives together.

He smoked those non tipped cigs, 20-30 a day I would think. He worked hard and then worked on his acre of hired land growing vegetables in his time off, then he'd come home & tend the gardens of our house so much that he won prizes! You could say he never stopped working, he had a 4xBypass and was told to stop smoking or he could face his maker in 5 - 8 yrs. He never did stop smoking & died very suddenly less than 3 yrs after the bypass aged 57.

With both my parents having had heart trouble, I've known for many years that I had to give up, it took me this long!

Really sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my dad to heart problems also.

When we were younger I remember he smoked Camels (no filter) My very best to your Mum! Bet she's happy that you quit!:pac:

I was told that Polysthemia Vera starts in the bone marrow. The brain is signaling the body that there are foreign substances in the body and the bone marrow reacts by sending out more red bloods cells to battle the foreign matter. He said because of what I told him today really helps him with other patients.;) He is also an Oncologist. After my last appointment he was scatching his head trying to figure why all of a sudden my blood count had leveled out. I'd forgotten to mention the smoking. Go figure.:o Anything over 45 is high and thats when they performed the phlbotomies. Mine as remained around 40 the last 3 or 4 appointments.:D

Oh by the way, Polysthemia Vera is treatable with phlbotomiies, (blood-letting) in the old days, but there is no cure. They just have to monitor your blood count and keep it from going to high. So currently I'm going in about every 3 weeks.

Thats amazing, Nicotene is a foreign particle I suppose as would all the other chemicals in cigarettes, thats encouraging now that such a drop could occur in just over 2 months!
    Yes My Mum is delighted I'm off them, she's a worrier. But she's great even with all her problems she has a great spirit.

So I'm burning the midnight oil again, I have the next 4 days off work to move house :eek: I'll be all about packing & boxes & organising for the weekend but I'm going to have all my favourite music at the ready and try to enjoy the carting back and fro of my life! Another new start awaits, I love new starts.

Just for fun, I put Anaheim on my iphone weather reader, I will share with you the joy that is Irelands measly current 5 degrees celcius & you are basking in a sunny/hazy 21, am I right :D soooooooo jealous!:)

Ahh, you're finally moving. Well it looks like you'll be just getting good and settled by the time you're ready to start your gardening. You must get that from your Dad.:)

Actually it has been beautiful here yesterday and today (low 70's). The Mountains around us are covered with snow as far down as you can see. I hear there's another storm headed this way sometime next week. It was pouring here Monday morning when I went into the clinic for the surgery. The War wound is coming along. He put in around 11 stitches.:eek:

I'm in Garden Grove which actually borders Anaheim. I can hear the Disneyland fireworks in the evenings. :D

Ah that sounds so nice, I was in Disneyland Paris, it was winter though so no fireworks. I've only been to the East coast of America and always in Winter or early spring so I've yet to experience the warmer weather.
    Yes I was brought up watching & helping my Dad work the soil so I love it & seeing the results, I'll be able to plant for the first time in 5 years! :D

Well I've had a busy day packing & moving stuff & another 1 to look forward to tomorrow, I did'nt get a craving today until right now, it's just when I sit back & relax that I think I want a puff, I think it's just about what I was used to doing rather than actually needing a cigarette.

I've had a couple of drinks tonight but the need to smoke is still not strong enough for me to go buy some cigarettes. I'm beginning to wonder is this it? Are the cravings always going to be there at certain times & it'll just be up to my willpower not to go buy a pack....I know if I was'nt on champix I would go now, at 1am to a 24 hour garage & buy a pack...hmm.

Just ignore those cravings!! Don't MAKE ME come over there with my
    Shillelagh!!
    Hope you have a very productive weekend!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kahlan

Dear all,

Well, I am just in the door from Rome! (a few hours) and am really really tired. I had a fantastic time. The two priests that went with us were so knowledgeable and brought us all over Rome from 9 o'clock every morning until 11 o'clock at night. I was beginning to get a bit sick of pizza and pasta though!!! I will give a quick list of all the things I saw, St. Peters, the Vatican museum, the sistine chapel, the trevi fountain, the spanish steps, the colosseum, the catacombs, the Keats-Shelley museum, The arch of Titus and the arch of Constantine, The Tiber and a ridiculous amount else. I have approximately 300 photos and 5 short videos from the week. Rome is an amazing place, though it was cold. It was actually colder than Ireland but it was always sunny and it only rained once. DonnieL - you must think that we Irish are obsessed with weather and you are probably right.

Okay, I have to fess up, I let you all down during the week, but I am getting back on the horse again. I am not going to let a momentary weakness spell failure for me again. So I messed up, forgot my champix at home (in Ireland) and ended up surrounded by smokers - I made up a load of what I thought were really good excuses in my head for why smoking was okay but the minute I arrived back in Ireland I knew that they were just excuses and I had let my guard down. So in one sense I am back at square one but in another I am going to be oh so much more wary. I hope you guys are not too disappointed in me and I just want you to know that I plan on sticking this out to the bitter (hopefully happy) end.

So there is my cautionary tale, and I am just about to take my first champix in 6 days.

Will talk tomorrow!!

xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kahlan

Well here are two pics!!

Advertisement