Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

glic83 wrote: »
    How much are champix?i take it that they are only available on prescription?

Ok i see they are prescription only but rough price would be helpful thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

glic83 wrote: »
    Ok i see they are prescription only but rough price would be helpful thanks?
    120 euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have tried giving up several times in the part using various methods such as patches,gums etc, i have even home for hypnosis and nothing worked

My advice when going to see a hypnotherapist is to first make sure that the therapist you are seeing has actually been trained. Most have no training and it's not regulated here in the ROI. There are a few schools, which I would say to check out for.

The Hypnosis Academy (formerly The Irish Hypnotherapy Association)
    The National Guild Of Hypnotists
    The Institute Of Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy

If the therapist trained at these schools, you're off to a good start, but you should always phone a few and pick the one you feel most comfortable and confident with. Forget about prices. It's better to spend €500 for results, than €100 for disappointment.

The Irish Hypnotist Register lists qualified therapists from all the schools mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

I stopped today, day 19 on champix. it's my second time using them. Stopped for 3 weeks a few years ago but stopped taking champix after the first month and I decided I could smoke while drinking! Didn't last obviously.
    Doing well half way threw day one and plan to stay on the champix for the 3 months or more this time if I get there.
    I forgot how effective these are at stopping the physical cravings. Just hope I can keep on top of the mental side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

I stopped today, day 19 on champix. it's my second time using them. Stopped for 3 weeks a few years ago but stopped taking champix after the first month and I decided I could smoke while drinking! Didn't last obviously.
    Doing well half way threw day one and plan to stay on the champix for the 3 months or more this time if I get there.
    I forgot how effective these are at stopping the physical cravings. Just hope I can keep on top of the mental side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Mur1 wrote: »
    Well done Muri keep the up the fight and it is a battle but the longer it goes on the stronger you will get and you will win over in the end . The mental side can be hell but time I believe is what can get you through this stage and a strong thread and support helps also(I got the support i needed from this thread) looked in to night to see how things were and other nights but dident post, am off them 3 years now but without this thread(support) and the champix , i might still be trying to gave them up. I do belive when gaving up cigs it helps for you to be able to converse with people going through the same feeling, emotions. (this is the thread)
    Regards to everybody , connie,donnie,

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Started Champix 2 and a half weeks ago, and smoked my last cig on Sunday night. Have to admit, it's not a bother...thought it would be alot harder. Although, today is only day 3, so taking one day at a time. Plus going to the pub might be a different story, but I'm adamant that I have smoked my last.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Well,i'm ashamed to say that I haven't been on here in a long time and am back on the smokes...:mad: I started champix in april,no side effects,gave up no problem,and started smoking with drinks in july,on holidays in august and haven't stopped since. I'm so upset and angry with myself.I'm still taking the tabs,jst one a day as always and feel that I could give up but everytime I finish a pack I find another excuse to buy "just one more box". I'm nearly at the end of my 3rd pk of champix so starting to panic now cause I really need to jst get off these smokes for once and for all!! Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hi MazzR! It seems like you are not ready yet. The Champix help you on your journey but only if you have the will to stop smoking. And to me it looks like you need more time.
    So do not stress yourself out. Go back to your GP and talk it over.
    And have a closer look at your circumstances. Are you stressed out, or in financial difficulties, afraid to put on weight when stopping, do you have a lot of people smoking around you,what triggers the itch for a cig and so on? This can play a big role in your mind even if you are not aware of it. Try to get a focus why you want to stop and focus on one thing at the time!
    Good luck.
    I am off the fags since 2 years and 6 months and never looked back.
    You can do it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

MazzR wrote: »
    I'm nearly at the end of my 3rd pk of champix so starting to panic now cause I really need to jst get off these smokes for once and for all!! Any advice?

It took me 4 packs of Champix to get there.

Eventually I got so annoyed with myself for prolonging the misery of being addicted that I stopped. Which is exactly what I wanted to do in the first place !

Doesn't addiction really screw up your thought process or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MazzR wrote: »
    I'm still taking the tabs,jst one a day as always and feel that I could give up but everytime I finish a pack I find another excuse to buy "just one more box". I'm nearly at the end of my 3rd pk of champix so starting to panic now cause I really need to jst get off these smokes for once and for all!! Any advice?

My advice is follow the prescription, your meant to take 2 a day, One in the morning and one in the evening, taking just one a day is making things very hard on yourself and a waste of time.
    Don't come back and say your not able to take 2 as recommended by everyone, there's no excuse, I don't care about how sick you feel etc I went through it all, nightmares, sickness etc but I stuck to the prescription to the bitter end, I was hardly able to swallow the champix by the end, i'm 6mts off them now and so are some of my friends, the only ones that are still smoking after the champix are the ones who made up there own dosage like yourself and and the ones who went it half arsed and stopped taking the champix once they stopped smoking or else started crying like little babies that the tablets made them feel sick, i'll remind them of those words when there lying in a hospital bed with lung cancer,
    I'm annoyed at them and i'm annoyed at you, stick to the prescription (and dosage) and let the tablets do their Job. If that doesn't work then you should feel sad but not now as you haven't done what you were told to.

You don't need any more advice. Just do it. It'll make sense when your finally off them.

Maybe forget about giving up for a month or so, give your body a chance to heal again. Then start back on the Champix but this time take the 2 a day and don't dare give up before the end of the 12 weeks and all the tablets are gone. You owe it to yourself as this stage to do it properly, and if you do have than 1 smoke on a night out at any stage don't have one the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Hi All,

Just wondering how everyone is getting on with their Champix/stopping smoking. I've read this thread through from the beginning, it took a while! I kept intending to start posting but wanted to read to the end. I started reading after I got my prescription and wanted to see how people got one with this, I was kinda scared to start them reading about some of the side affects, but thought, feck it I'll give them a go I need to stop. I am now on day 51 smoke free, stopped smoking on day 14 of taking the pills. I did suffer some side affects like nausea - still do, and headaches - only for about a week early on, oh and the crazy dreams - but I don't really mind them:). I hit a point after about a week of not smoking and thought that's it for me, I'm not going through this again from the start so I'm not going to smoke again. I did find though the actual not smoking part was fine, I've tried cold turkey before and found every hour that passed more and more dfficult, but with these pills the days just rolled past! The odd pang when I saw someone smoking, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I have just less than 3 weeks left from my 12 week course and I just wanted to ask anyone who has completed the course, should I cut down gradually on them, or just take them as normal until the end of the course?
    Did anyone have any trouble or issues when they stopped taking the tablets?

Thanks

Catsup99 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering how everyone is getting on with their Champix/stopping smoking. I've read this thread through from the beginning, it took a while! I kept intending to start posting but wanted to read to the end. I started reading after I got my prescription and wanted to see how people got one with this, I was kinda scared to start them reading about some of the side affects, but thought, feck it I'll give them a go I need to stop. I am now on day 51 smoke free, stopped smoking on day 14 of taking the pills. I did suffer some side affects like nausea - still do, and headaches - only for about a week early on, oh and the crazy dreams - but I don't really mind them:). I hit a point after about a week of not smoking and thought that's it for me, I'm not going through this again from the start so I'm not going to smoke again. I did find though the actual not smoking part was fine, I've tried cold turkey before and found every hour that passed more and more dfficult, but with these pills the days just rolled past! The odd pang when I saw someone smoking, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I have just less than 3 weeks left from my 12 week course and I just wanted to ask anyone who has completed the course, should I cut down gradually on them, or just take them as normal until the end of the course?
    Did anyone have any trouble or issues when they stopped taking the tablets?

Thanks
    Hi Catsup99,
    Well done , I did'ent go the complete course but everybody is different so keep with the prescription and I would say try not to get to get hung up on the end date because you can go back to your doctor and be advised on the next step and believe me every day, hour , minute , second you are off them the stronger you will get, I am off them a little over 3 years now and without the champix and this thread I would be in big trouble health wise.
    So well done again and am sure other people will gave advice on what to do has you come to the end line.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

Hey guys just checking in, still off them and dont miss them one bit, 1 year and 7 months later, i can breathe so much better, i forgot what a deep breath felt like :D continued success and good luck

Thanks Terenc,
    You're probably right, I don't know why I'm worrying about it, If I didn't do anything because I was worrying about it I never would have started Champix in the first place :) So yeah all's good then, it great to hear about continued success stories, still free and clear after 3 years is pretty good going well done you and hellomynameis, hopefully I'll be able to post similar success stories in a year's time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Wow, so happy to see Terenc & Connewitz still offering their support. My best to you on your goals to get healthy! Also Mazzd, try reading through this thread if you haven't already. You came in here for a purpose. That purpose was to rid yourself of a DEADLY addiction. Listen to the advise you've been given, apply yourself, or give it up! Champix/Chantix is a PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION!! Take as directed and follow instructions. It may not be easy but it's damn better than the alternative which would put a lot of grief on your loved ones. In January I will be off those dastardly things for 4 years!
    I've never had a pang, craving, or any other desire to start up again. Plus I'm not a raving lunatic if some one lights up around me. Good Luck and I wish you the best!

Thanks Terenc,
    You're probably right, I don't know why I'm worrying about it, If I didn't do anything because I was worrying about it I never would have started Champix in the first place :) So yeah all's good then, it great to hear about continued success stories, still free and clear after 3 years is pretty good going well done you and hellomynameis, hopefully I'll be able to post similar success stories in a year's time:D

I hope too! I am off the fags since 2 years and 7 months now. No regrets and no way back. Did not finish the course by book, took the last tablets only at night time. But here I am, smoke free!!! You can do it too. Btw I smoked for over 35 years. It is never too late to stop!:D

Thanks Connewitz, I'm just about 9 weeks free now - so still on track to come back next year and say I'm still off them :). I have only a week of tablets left so I might as well just finish them as prescribed, feel like it's another milestone reached:D

Thanks Connewitz, I'm just about 9 weeks free now - so still on track to come back next year and say I'm still off them :). I have only a week of tablets left so I might as well just finish them as prescribed, feel like it's another milestone reached:D

Go! Your are on the right track! Nothing to lose, just smelly clothes, bad breath, early aging skin yellowing teeth and so on......;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Flurple

Side effects I had were mood swings.

• Advertisement

Flurple wrote: »
    Side effects I had were mood swings.

Can be hard sometimes but the positives far outweigh the moments of panic,loosing your cool, I remember really loosing it at work and at home but it
    was I believe part of the journey (I really can only say to you stick with it and but still feel for you ).
    Look through this thread when ever you need support and

Hi Everybody,
    How are we all keeping, am just great because I have not smoked 3 Years but if it was not for this thread I would still be smoking and am sure people still look in and read the stories of the people going through their battles with cigs, I would look at this thread on a regular basis but not post but this was my support when trying to stop smoking ,the people that started this thread might not realise what they started but I would say If you use it let other people know and support each other in their battle . I dont smoke any more thanks to everybody on this thread.
    Have a very happy Xmas. PS use to dread new year, always failed,dont know what am going to gave up this year"""""""""""""""""""""""

You are so right! I did need the support as well. Still off the fags myself and no looking back!
    Would like to know what happend to Poutbutton. She started this thread.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me on my journey and good luck to all who are still battling it out.:D

I used this as support while giving up too, although I was more of a lurker than poster. Still I do think it helped me. Finished Champix just over two weeks now I think, just passed the 12 week smoke free too - 3 whole months:D. So pleased with myself! Thanks to all for posting as you were going along, you'd be surprised how much of a boost some of the posts can give us lurkers!

Just wanted to pop in and wish Connewitz, Terenc, and my smoke free and future smoke free friends a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy SMOKE FREE New Year!![/B]

I used this as support while giving up too, although I was more of a lurker than poster. Still I do think it helped me. Finished Champix just over two weeks now I think, just passed the 12 week smoke free too - 3 whole months:D. So pleased with myself! Thanks to all for posting as you were going along, you'd be surprised how much of a boost some of the posts can give us lurkers!
    Great Stuff Catsup, well done and you are so right to be pleased with yourself because
    its not easy , its a batttle , have A GREAT XMAS. I love the term lurker and believe me I was a lurker .

May you all have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
    I do hope, that the ones who gave up smoking will stick it out in 2013 and the ones who are still fighting the battle - keep it going. YOU WILL COME OUT OF THIS AS A WINNER!!!
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Champix was a god send for me. No way i'd be able to give up without them. Off smokes 13 months now and still can't believe it, that was one quick year.
    The tablets were just magic.

Did feel very tired in the mornings and had really, really vivid dreams but nothing that would of stopped me taking them.

I kept forgetting to take the one in the evening so after the 2nd month a 28 day pack would last me about 35 to 40+ days. Ended up not going back for the 4th month supply. 13 months free and counting.

Strength and good luck to all who are taking them now or thinking of taking them.
    Every cigarette free day is a victory.

Just saw this quote on-line and thought it appropriate for this forum!:D
    "A cigarette is a soft cylindrical disease delivery device with a flame on one end and a fool on the the other.J Russell"
    Wishing you ALL the best on a Smoke Free future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi all, I am now 8 days smoke free and am starting to really believe in myself!
    The champix as helped me enough with the cravings which meant I could use all my strength to battle the little monster in my head!!
    I am really looking forward to a life free from smoking and just be able to live properly without always wondering when I was going to get my next fix!

This thread has really helped me over the last couple of weeks! Thanks all!!!

Advertisement