Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just try not to eat everything in sight. People posting about gaining a couple of stone over the initial few months is crazy.

A stone is 14 pounds of fat. If you gain that in a month it's over eating by a massive amount. 1750 calories a day over.

Even half that is 900 cals, or probably 40% over and above what you need.

You've got to notice this. It won't just sneak up on you. People should use their heads and not use quitting as an excuse to eat cakes, buns, crisps etc. with abandon.

Eat lean meat and veg and leave the cake alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Just popping my head in to say hello. I am on this thread since over two years now and still check in now and than. This thread was an incredible helping tool through rough times!
    It is amazing, how different people approach the task of giving up and how many excuses are used to start smoking again. But we are only human after all and have our strong and weak sides!
    Weight gain is topping the list of reasons for not giving up smoking for us females! I had trouble to get my head around this as well! So, if you are female and you want to quit without gaining weight - start to change your habits before your quitting attempt! Change the food you eat (more veg, fruit, grains, less sugar and fat) and most important START EXERCISING! This will keep your body in a healthy balance through the enormous task of nicotine withdrawal!
    In over two years of not smoking, I only put on 2 pounds. And I am healthier and fitter than ever in my life. The only thing I do regret is, that I did not do it much earlier and wasted so much money and my health on this filthy habit!
    Stay strong, will yourself through the rough times and you will be a winner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

90 days smokefree today. Thanks to all who posted connewitz, username and macs quitlog. If I can do it anyone can. I have made 2 many attempts to mention. As they say try and try again and finally you will succseed.
    820 euros saved in 90 days. I used to really hate being addicted to the smokes. Paying to be a slave. Paying to kill the quality of my life.
    Still have to take it one day at a time even doe the compulsion to smoke has gone. I can still look at a ciggy and say it would be nice but in reality it wouldnt. But its only very short and passes quickly.
    To all whos finding it tough hang in there its gets easier and better as time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm now 36 days off the cigs. I have saved €323.23 & not smoked 710 cigarettes(I use aha!Smokefree App).
    So I'm just going into my 6th week without the cigs & I'm delighted.
    I don't think I could have got this far without the champix. It really does make a huge difference. I haven't had any major panic attacks about not smoking though I do realise its still early days. I suppose you can never really take your eye off the ball once you have been a smoker.
    Anyway its amazing to see the weeks add up & I suppose I have to ask myself why I didn't try this earlier. I have been lucky in that I haven't had any side effects. I have another months supply to take & I have stuck to the dosage.
    I do think you need a positive attitude along with the champix, it takes the edge completely off, but unless you want to, it won't stop you from lighting up. I had previously read the Allen Carr book & I have found it a help now as it really does explain how the cigs affect your mind.
    So heres to the future. To all those who have stopped,well done & keep it up. To all those thinking about quitting, just go for it. You have nothing to lose & everything to gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 covo

Hi all this is my 3rd day on Champix.

Nothing major at the moment. Just the cigs tasting funny and I feel a bit tired for about 30 minutes after taking the pill. But that is so far!

I will keep posting here too... Some support will be welcome :)

I also found this Irish site for users of Champix: https://www.liferewards.ie/default.aspx

I just signed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TOMTAC

Hi, it is a good number of weeks since I posted last. I'm writing now as I have just completed 6mths off the cigs. The 6mth target date was a big one for me...the craving for a smoke is long since gone but as smoking was such a big part of my life for so long I have to be very wary that the 'habit ' of smoking doesn't get me to try 'just one little smoke'.
    I did not believe that I could give up cigarettes, I smoked for over 40years and in most recent years was averaging 35 cigs per day. I did 'nt want to give them up but when doing an annual medical last Oct, the Dr. just said ' you know if you give up smoking you will prolong your life'. When I said I didnt think I would be able to do it he told me to try Champix. I said ok and tried it and was absoloutly flabergasted when the craving for a smoke started to deminish and eventually dissappear. While I am extreamly consious that the 'habit' of smoking could get me to pick up a cig at anytime...and therefore I have to be on my gard all the time...I am prepared to say now that I have given up smoking...something I thought I would never be able to say, even as late a s a few months ago. So , to all of you who are embarking on this mighty quest...set yourself a target, and when you get there, no siting on the fence, stand up and say 'I have done it!'
    Good luck to you all, this board was a great source of inspiration for me, and should be for you also............ I have the rest of my life to get on with now..God bless.

Hi there! Just looking up the thread and I can see, it got very quiet here.
    Is everybody still trying to give up or just gave in and started smoking again?
    Lets hear your stories, people! We were a very strong community and gave a lot of hope and support to others trying to quit or fighting there demons. Can we still do this? I am sure, there are lots of people out there,which still need us. Lets do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ive 7 days left on the Champix and im scared. How hard is it going to be without them, ive the habit broken but at the same time i'm a bit terrified to stop the tabs. I'm going on holidays in a few days and would like a cigar with a good rum in the evening sometime while away. I don't ever want to smoke cigarettes again. Im half way through holidays when the tablets run out.
    Some advice please, can I have that cigar, I probably won't smoke much of it and ill end up throwing it away but denying myself it will chew me up, I couldnt give 2 hoots about a cigarette as I feel sick if I think about having one.

Is this a serious question?!

Buy yourself an 'ego C twist' set it to 4.2, add some Liqua coffee flavoured zero nicotine juice, should satisfy that cigar crave, at least as safely as you're going to get.

Obviously don't smoke a real cigar man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

covo wrote: »
    Hi all this is my 3rd day on Champix.

Nothing major at the moment. Just the cigs tasting funny and I feel a bit tired for about 30 minutes after taking the pill. But that is so far!

I will keep posting here too... Some support will be welcome :)

I also found this Irish site for users of Champix: https://www.liferewards.ie/default.aspx

I just signed up!

I took Champix too and thought they were great, I am four and a half years off them and dont miss them one bit. The first few weeks are the toughest but once you can go one day without them you can get through any day, and before you know it your talking weeks and then months.

Stick in there and you will feel the benefit, I have never felt better and cant believe I didnt give up sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi, just thought I'd check in and see how the thread is going. I was on here for over 2 years. I see a lot of newbies giving it a go. Just hang in there it's worth it.
    Drunkmonkey your post caught my eye. Forget the cigars. Your asking for trouble. Besides after smoking for over 50 years I found that I could never light up a cigar without trying to inhale and as we all know that can be pretty painful. I can't figure how you did both. Good luck to you and everyone on the thread. Quitting is the Supreme Award!! Connewitz can attest to that! God Bless! :D

Even if he doesn't inhale he'll still absorb the nicotine through his mouth and be back to square one.

Hi Drunkmonkey, dont be concerned with finishing the tablet course.....the craving for a smoke does not come back. I can testify to this as I also was concerned that once the tabs were finished I would not be able to handle the no smoking by myself. I have the oppinion that Champix kills the craving for a smoke but that the reason people go back on the cigs again is because of the 'habit ' of smoking...so a little bit of willpower and disapline is required here. I have a box of sucky sweets with me all the time now and if the thought ' a smoke would be nice now' enters my head, I take a sweet....and so far it has worked. For what its worth, I was smoking for over 40 years, an average of 35 per day, never attempted to give them up until last Oct when I started on the 3 mth Champix course and I'm off them now for over 6 mths. By the way, dont smoke the cigar...or pipe or anything else..the whole idea of taking the Champix course was to stop useing nicotine. Good luck, enjoy your hollidays..but dont smoke..you are home!

I hope that you, drunkmonkey, had a nice holiday without a smoke! It is very important to stay away from any form of nicotine. This was the whole idea about taking Champix in the first place.
    The desire for a smoke will come and go. This will stay with you a lifetime! You (and all of us ex-smokers) were addicted to nicotine, as other people to alcohol or drugs. If you are able to admit this to yourself, you have won half of the battle. Don`t give in!!!!
    And to all the others.... nice to hear you are still on track and a special thank you to all them people who give support even after stopping for 2 years or longer!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 covo

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I'd check in and see how the thread is going. I was on here for over 2 years. I see a lot of newbies giving it a go. Just hang in there it's worth it.
    Drunkmonkey your post caught my eye. Forget the cigars. Your asking for trouble. Besides after smoking for over 50 years I found that I could never light up a cigar without trying to inhale and as we all know that can be pretty painful. I can't figure how you did both. Good luck to you and everyone on the thread. Quitting is the Supreme Award!! Connewitz can attest to that! God Bless! :D

Hi there just an update. I've been 4 weeks off the cigs now. I feel good. No major side effects but a dodgy tummy if I have the pills without food and the dreams... they are so real! But no mood swings or any other nasty thing.

I decided to give it a go after reading most of this thread, and most of DonnieL encouraging answers, so thanks a lot DonnieL! A funny thing tho, I also have those weird dreams with me smoking and when I wake up I feed so disgusted with myself! They are so real that is scary! And another interesting thing... I had a very vivid/real dream in which one of my brothers, a friend and myself were given €50 million each for no reason. So I was very rich and it was all so real. And then... I woke up... :D You can't imagine the disappointment! :P

Anyway, giving up cigs is the best gift you can give yourself. It is an addiction and as with all addictions, we are addicted to them for the rest of our lives. We just won't use nicotine. But we have to know that even after a very long time if we have a puff we have a very high chance to fall again. We are addicted to them. We just don't smoke. This happened to me. I was off cigs for a very long time, then in a party I tried one (tasted like crap) but anyway, next I bought a pack and within a week I was smoking my usual 20-30 again. Never become complacent!

Here is a very good link for everyone: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_04_Relapse.html
    That is probably the best ever website regarding quitting smoking. And all the information is free.

big hug to everyone. I'll update more later!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

im off them since 10 January and last night was a huge test as i was out with 10 or more people and everyone of them smoked so i hung in there and didnt give in. i still find it soo hard when i go out, its such a bloody addiction. a friend of mine gave up a week before me and he told me today hes back on them. hope i dont go back on them again. that scares me.
    anyway just my little update. :rolleyes:

im off them since 10 January and last night was a huge test as i was out with 10 or more people and everyone of them smoked so i hung in there and didnt give in. i still find it soo hard when i go out, its such a bloody addiction. a friend of mine gave up a week before me and he told me today hes back on them. hope i dont go back on them again. that scares me.
    anyway just my little update. :rolleyes:

You passed one enormous hurdle! Just be vigilant and do NOT give in to the temptation. One cig and you are back to square one!!! Keep this always in mind. It is hard, but you can do it. And do not think too much about failing, better concentrate on every hour, day, week and so on of Non-Smoking!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

connewitz wrote: »
    You passed one enormous hurdle! Just be vigilant and do NOT give in to the temptation. One cig and you are back to square one!!! Keep this always in mind. It is hard, but you can do it. And do not think too much about failing, better concentrate on every hour, day, week and so on of Non-Smoking!;)

thanks a million, your so right but it can be very hard at times!! just the weekend really !! i know aswell that even if i have 1 puff im back to square one so i have to keep remembering that and not give in to the eviil weed!!! thanks again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Got the prescription off the Doc yesterday and plan to give them up on or around 7/07/2012 (Have a big night out planned so don't want to start off on the wrong foot). I've been a smoker for 23ish years and smoke 20 a day and more on the weekend/when out. I've been off them once before for about 6 months when my second child was born but fell off the wagon through lack of vigilance really. Anyhow number three kid arrived last February and I think the time is right to try again I need to give these things up for my kids and my own benifit and I won't lie the money could be better spent elsewhere (the Wife says shoes!!). I was thinking of getting one of those large water containers from Ballygowan and using it to drop in my daily cigarette money as an added incentive and then getting a good holiday after a year. Anyway will be checking in now and again for advice and support. Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

TheBlock wrote: »
    Got the prescription off the Doc yesterday and plan to give them up on or around 7/07/2012 (Have a big night out planned so don't want to start off on the wrong foot). I've been a smoker for 23ish years and smoke 20 a day and more on the weekend/when out. I've been off them once before for about 6 months when my second child was born but fell off the wagon through lack of vigilance really. Anyhow number three kid arrived last February and I think the time is right to try again I need to give these things up for my kids and my own benifit and I won't lie the money could be better spent elsewhere (the Wife says shoes!!). I was thinking of getting one of those large water containers from Ballygowan and using it to drop in my daily cigarette money as an added incentive and then getting a good holiday after a year. Anyway will be checking in now and again for advice and support. Best of luck all.
    Block i feel for you, been there done it gave them up for a day maybe one week think i went 3 weeks and still went back on the feckers am off them now NEARLY 3 YEARS seem thing children came along a brother died from cancer and i still kept on smoking, so dont ever think you cant give them up because you CAN
    Having been back here for a bit but this is a great thread for people supporting each other and people like donny and conne(my son had italy i had germany i ll be in touch) and everybody who posts here is/are helping each other in their battle against smoking.
    Rock on.
    champix is the start of the journey but this thread continues and continnues.

• Advertisement

Okay, we had summer holidays and a lot of people were away, but not everybody on this thread - or?
    How is the non-smoking going? Where are your stories? Is all the enthusiasm gone already? Would be nice to hear from some of you again.;)

Hi Connewitz, I have checked in to this board a few times over the last few months and was supprised at the lack of interest. I'm sure there are people commencing the Champix programme starting every day, however as with most things in life the more strands to ones bow the better chance of success. I have being using the internet for years on a daily basis but never felt the need to join a board before. However I knew in commencing to give up smoking that I would need every bit of help I could get to ensure success and therefore needed to access the experiences of those who had gone before me. This I got from this board. Actually I'm 9 mths off the cigs today and I do nt have any craving for a smoke... however I'm consious that the habit of smoking could have me light up on the basis that one little smoke wont do any harm! Of course it would ...I have learnt from this board that one leads to another and that within no time I would be back to where I was.
    Keep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Still going strong at nearly 7 months. I get the odd echo in my head saying a smoke would be nice, but its gone in 30 seconds.
    Theres a lot more spark in me today. I am quiet active today unlike when I was smoking and any task seemed like a mountain to climb.
    I feel a healthy now and enjoy life alot more.
    The champix helped at the start but after 6 weeks it turned against me.
    Depression kicked in, but I knew it was from the tabs so I cut them in half and a week later I packed the champix in. Be aware of any unusual change in mood. And if you find that you are depressed all of a sudden, dont panic its the tabs that can cause this.
    Than again other people dont get the side effects that I experenced.
    Cant say it enough. My quality of life is a lot better been a non smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

How much are champix?i take it that they are only available on prescription?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annadoll1985

Hi guys, im on day five of the tabs and i have to say experiencing some side effects .i plan to stop smoking on day nine can anyone tell me once the dosage goes up do the side effects worsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annadoll1985

I have to say that i have never used a forum before ,but i have been reading through the comments left on this and am finding it very encouraging. I have tried giving up several times in the part using various methods such as patches,gums etc, i have even home for hypnosis and nothing worked .this time round i feel extra determined as i have a one year old little girl and am going back to college to complete my degree so i feel it is the right time for me to stop.Thursday is my quit date and i plan to stick to it so here goes .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PaddyW

I have to say that i have never used a forum before ,but i have been reading through the comments left on this and am finding it very encouraging. I have tried giving up several times in the part using various methods such as patches,gums etc, i have even home for hypnosis and nothing worked .this time round i feel extra determined as i have a one year old little girl and am going back to college to complete my degree so i feel it is the right time for me to stop.Thursday is my quit date and i plan to stick to it so here goes .:)

Best of luck, you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Finally bit the bullet and went to the doc on Monday and got the prescription. (got a medical card recently, so said might as well take advantage of it). Started the tablets on Monday, and hope to give them up Thursday or Friday of next week. No side effects so far, although I do feel less of an urge to smoke, but maybe that is just the placebo effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sirius11

On day 5 of taking Champix now. Was like a bear the last couple of days but fine today although my bicep on my left arm has been twitching for 3 days so maybe that's the reason for the mood!!! Haven't smoked much today at all and only managing half a fag when I do. Tobacco starts tasting stale or something and get a bit of a scratchy throat.

Yesterday I started smelling the smoke off my clothes and hair too and I smell like an old lady smoker!!!! SICK!! Stale cigarette smoke mixed with perfume! How come no one told me I reek before! Am now half way through washing ALL my clothes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

I was using this thread back in January. Happy to report i'm still off them, no problems. I do get the occasional....oooh a fag would be nice.... but i wouldn't call it a craving. Happy to smell better, be a better example to my little one, have more cash in my purse etc.

What keeps me off them is knowing that 'just one' will taste revolting.. i would have to smoke 5 or 6 i reckon just to get used to them and for it to 'taste nice' and by that time there is no going back.
    So 'just one' simply cannot work.

Good luck to one and all. It really is worth it.

Advertisement