Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to focus myself

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Right, so, this might not be the proper place for this question...

I am supposed to be writing a dissertation but I can't concentrate on it at all. Im working full time and studying, but I find it so hard to get anything done in the evening or at weekends.

Some of you must have some good tips to aid concentration etc?

I haven't quite reached the absolute tipping point of not enough time left to get it done, but I'd say its getting close.

And I know not wasting time on boards would help, but I seem to get as far as opening the books and microsoft word, and then......

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I did a short 10 week course while working full time recently, and though it wasnt excatly what you call demanding I even found it hard to find time. Personally, I just set aside a few hours on Saturday morning to plan everything... once I knew what needed to be done I spent all day Sunday doing it with the attitude of "Get this out of the way". Then I knew I'd get fed up about 5 or 6 hours in, so I always get my 'Plan and start project' weekend done as early as feasible and follow up with another few hours to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you keeping a written diary/schedule of everything you need to do? (down to times for meals if necessary). Thats the first thing I do when I need to organise myself.
    I guess working full time can't change you so you need to be smart about how much work is needed when, and how much you can fit in without overloading yourself. Plan towards assignments well in advance should also help spread things out-I'm guessing you end up with piles of work to do at times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Factor small treats (bubble bath, bar of chocolate...) into your timetable - this keeps up your morale, aiding concentration so that ultimately you get more out of your study time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Thanks guys.

Today I had a look at the study plan I made in November. It's hardly a suprise that I am way behind, but I have redone it today and done it differently.

Instead of setting targets like finish chapter one by x date, finish field work by x, write conclusions by x, I have set a very small (and I hope achievable) goal for every day. Like research paragraph on x, next day, write up paragraph x. This, I hope, I can do realistically and it seems I will have enough time to do it all.

I'm hoping it will help me get some momentum and motivation going if I know I am making some small target every day. And I have some rewards in mind for myself too, like the odd day off!

I also rang the binding people to check out their turn-around time, which is one day apparently so that is brilliant.

Advertisement