Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Statement/Research Statement

Options
  • 04-01-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Currently mid application to applying to for M.A's in three different institutions all fall under the MA in Geography, 2 of 3 want a personal statement. Any ideas what to put in here.

Third one is a research statement/proposal so know what i have to do there.

Another one is relevant knowledge/technical skills..what do i put here? About any computer packages iv used?

Sorry im new to this and my head is a bit wrecked! any help atall would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Mention anything you might have covered practically, any GIS packages, remote sensing, SPSS, Acrview, endnote - its all important

Mention something of your personal interests also - it might help to know is it a human/physical degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

The three MA's offer very very different modules!

one covers the whole climate change/zero carbon footprint/sustainability thing

another covers risk assesment, gis, responses to terrorisim, water sustainability in urban areas etc

the third is more social and cultural! So very hard to say!

yeah i did use SPSS in my thesis in my final year and i was wondering if id mention that alright but that was about the most high tech package iv ever used! dont class the auld Microsoft office suite technical at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

First of all, be very specific with each application. Dont draft one for all three, as they appear quite different in content.

Mention in all three your technical skills, computer, practical, anything practice based from your degree.

You should also write a paragraph outlining your interests - if you're not terribly interested make something up, but dont exceed your experience. Write about any interesting projects you completed, interesting subjects you studied, particularly ones with potential application for your masters.

Again, be specific, phrase it like (for the first one for example) 'I am particularly interested in....local impact assessment, and have taken modules in climatology and GIS.....' or for the second 'I am interested in spatial approaches to the study of terrosism, and have encountered theoretical approaches to risk and political geography in x and y....'

Make connections to the course content from your degree (they also like to see theoretical knowledge-this could be an important swing consideration if it comes down to it)

Dont worry too much about personal statements, demand is not as high this year, and I doubt it will be next year, so the main acceptance criteria will likely be your degree.

At the same time, dont underestimate it, if it comes down to a choice, they will look to your statements

Advertisement