Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Phil Student

Options
  • 28-12-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey guys,
    I'm in my first year M.Phil in early modern History. Whereas this is something I always wanted to do, and would love to do a PhD. I am just a little nervous given the whole recession thing. I intended on working last summer, but the place I used work summers, couldn't take me back. I got a job on campus this year, but they let everyone go come Christmas, due to cutbacks. Pretty much I'm living off savings and my parents paid my registration fee this year and will more than likely pay for it next year. I don't like having them to pay, as I'm the eldest of 4 children and the others have just begun or have yet to go to College. Ideally, I would like to do a PhD. in History. Thing is most of my friends have gone off to either teach or left College, It has been more solitary this year than I thought, I'm looking around me thinking maybe I should go find a job abroad after my M.Phil... I would love to live abroad also as I don't see myself in Ireland for the rest of my life. Does anyone perhaps have any suggestions or had experience! I'm the only one in my extended family to have done a post-grad, the rest just went and got jobs after their degree. Of course, I would love to have steady money coming in, but I know that eventually I'd get bored with the work.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved to Postgrad as this thread will get a better response here and seems better suited.

Tbh, I think its hard to know whats the best choice in terms of economy/recession. It's not an easy one to predict and your own personal situation obviously means you'd do something different to the next person. Best of luck.

Advertisement