Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That happens every time here, only once every was it the same consultant for more than 1 appointment.

Are you back and forth every 4 weeks?

Not anymore (she was due yesterday).

More like once a week at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Not anymore (she was due yesterday).

More like once a week at this stage.

Wow, best of luck, hope all goes well.

Once a week is common towards the end (last 4 weeks)

Wow, best of luck, hope all goes well.

Once a week is common towards the end (last 4 weeks)

Cheers man.

Yeah, I'd prefer for her not to have to get induced if at all possible and let it go naturally. Wouldn't like either of them under any unnecessary stress.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is it your first?

Toots wrote: »
    Is it your first?

Yep :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's pretty normal to go overdue on your first - my first was 7 days over. The midwife told me one of the best ways to get baby out is the same way it got in there ie: riding :pac:

Cheers man.

Yeah, I'd prefer for her not to have to get induced if at all possible and let it go naturally. Wouldn't like either of them under any unnecessary stress.

All 3 to date with my wife were natural with the only assistance gas and air :pac:

Is it after 10 days they induce?

I've read somewhere here that 'getting jiggy' helps bring on labour.

I can only imagine the stress you are under yourself.

It's pretty normal to go overdue on your first - my first was 7 days over. The midwife told me one of the best ways to get baby out is the same way it got in there ie: riding :pac:

My wife is something special so :pac::pac::pac:

The 3 pregnancies to date are as follows;

DD1 15 days early

DD2 was 2 days early

DS was 7 days early.

My child from my previous relationship was 1 day over but that wasn't a natural birth.

The current pregnancy is guaranteed to beat all of those at this stage also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Our first was 2 weeks early so a month earlier than we expected (as we were told to expect to go 2 weeks over).

Ha so I heard, though we've also been told sage oil, hot curries, walking up and down mountains.
    All 3 to date with my wife were natural with the only assistance gas and air :pac:

Is it after 10 days they induce?

I've read somewhere here that 'getting jiggy' helps bring on labour.

I can only imagine the stress you are under yourself.

11 days from what they said.

Oddly enough, I'm not worried at all at this stage, just excited to meet them.:)

• Advertisement

Not sure what the policy is in the Coombe but when I was in Holles St you had an appointment at 10 days over, and an induction would be scheduled for day 14. However, that would only be if everything was still looking normal and they were happy to let you go another couple of days. If your BP was high etc they might schedule it earlier.

My little boy looked like he was planning his arrival at week 26, but he stayed put, however all the midwives and doctors were advising me to prepare for him to arrive early. Consultant said she couldn't believe it when I waddled in for my 40 week appointment!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The induction policy really depends on your hospital - my hospital's policy is to offer induction at 40+11 with an option for daily monitoring after that if all is well. It can vary by other factors though as well - I have a friend who had her first baby at 43 and was induced on her due date with her age as the only reason for it.

At my 40 week appointment (40+4) it looked like my son was in it for the long haul, not even slightly engaged and my midwife said she fully expected to see me for induction a week later. He came of his own accord at 8 days overdue thankfully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think it may be 40+12 in the Coombe and Rotunda.
    No.1 came two days over.Number 2 went the whole hog, 12 days over.Decided to commence her own arrival about two hours before I dragged myself into the hospital for induction.Despite having made shapes at coming for the previous 4 weeks - I felt like I was in endless almost-labour for a month!!!🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

Off to the Coombe today for 12 week scan for our first. Nervous/excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

tibor_imo wrote: »
    Off to the Coombe today for 12 week scan for our first. Nervous/excited.

Good luck!

So my daughter was born yesterday and she is healthy and doing great along with her mammy. Really don’t think I’ve ever been as happy in my life as I am right now!c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

So my daughter was born yesterday and she is healthy and doing great along with her nanny. Really don’t think I’ve ever been as happy in my life as I am right now!

Aww, congratulations!

So my daughter was born yesterday and she is healthy and doing great along with her mammy. Really don’t think I’ve ever been as happy in my life as I am right now!c

Congratulations :D

Welcome to the daddy's club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congratulations to ye!!

Congratulations!!

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

It really is the most amazing thing in the world watchin a baby being born.

Has anyone here gone for a gender scan at 18 weeks and the baby wasn't the sex you were told?

We had a 3D scan yesterday and they told us our twins are both the same gender,however, we weren't shown the 'bits' on one in a 3D version and only a standard version.

The second twin was very very difficult for the sonographer to see and she said in the end she was 'satisfied' that they were both the same gender.

We went to Babyscan in Ballincollig.

Edit:

At 15w 1d the doctor in the C.U.M.H told us the gender of one, it was the opposite to what we were told yesterday.

Bloody confused now.

Anatomy scan in 2 weeks.

I'd have thought it would be unusual for them to confirm gender at 15 weeks because things wouldn't be defined enough for them to tell conclusively AFAIK, although I've a cousin in the states who's expecting right now and her OB offered to check the gender very early on, like I think about 13 or 14 weeks. Having looked into gender scans for our baby, I couldn't find anywhere that was doing them before 18 weeks. At my 20 week scan we tried to find out the gender, but the sonographer said that while she had a fair idea, she couldn't tell for sure and they aren't allowed to tell unless they're confident they know for sure.

They were able to tell me the gender at my anatomy scan on my first baby, so you could always tell them at your anatomy scan that you'd been told initially that you were having one gender, then at the gender scan told something different, and ask could they confirm which was correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They were able to tell me the gender at my anatomy scan on my first baby, so you could always tell them at your anatomy scan that you'd been told initially that you were having one gender, then at the gender scan told something different, and ask could they confirm which was correct.

Our first was waving his willy around during the scan so we knew immediately.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Our first was waving his willy around during the scan so we knew immediately.

One of ours was very active and we instantly knew what it was, the second though kept hiding, i doubt the opinion of the second gender.

They are non identical twins there is a chance the other will be different.

As for the waving the willy bit, we had that last year as well with our son :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

Just learned in the past few days that ill be a father next year. Can’t say I’ve ever been happier in my whole life :)

First scan is coming up soon so fingers crossed everything will be ok!

Congratulations!!! Wishing you and your OH a happy and healthy pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BSquared

Hi All, new to this group. Good to see a group for father's here as I could find any groups on Facebook. Anyway my misses is 14 weeks along so spreading the word now to friends and family. Exciting.

Anyone else at the same point? Seems like there's not a whole lot to do yet re planning etc

BSquared wrote: »
    Hi All, new to this group. Good to see a group for father's here as I could find any groups on Facebook. Anyway my misses is 14 weeks along so spreading the word now to friends and family. Exciting.

Anyone else at the same point? Seems like there's not a whole lot to do yet re planning etc

1st time out???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BSquared

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    1st time out???

Yep 1st time so brand new to all this

Advertisement