Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with tranlsation please

Options
  • 21-12-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    i am trying to buy something off a spanish website and i have to complete a application form, was able to get most of the meaning from a translation website but i cant seem to figure out what Dni-Nif* is?? its on the application where address details are being asked for, so is this my house number they are looking for here??
    any help really appreciated,
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

crowlef2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    i am trying to buy something off a spanish website and i have to complete a application form, was able to get most of the meaning from a translation website but i cant seem to figure out what Dni-Nif* is?? its on the application where address details are being asked for, so is this my house number they are looking for here??
    thanks.

Every citizen in Spain has their own DNI number which comes with their national identity cards. Instead, put your passport number in there and it should be ok.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ElCrapula

Hi,
    thanks.

This could be a stumbling block for your purchase.All Spanish citizens carry an identification card which along with name,photo and so on has a DNI number.It is a type of social identification number used when you have any official correspondence-signing up to a contract for work,tax purposes,opening a bank account,buying a mobile,signing for registered post.Many,many things.The NIE is used the same way but it is what is issued to non-citizens.I have come across this before and many sites will not let you procede if not entered.I would be surprised if entering a passport was acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crowlef2

thanks for all your help, i have emailed the seller previously about delivering to Ireland, and have just let him know i dont have one of those ID numbers, waiting on him to get back to me.

another quick question i could do with some help is, when i am trying to enter in my credit card details i keep getting the same message back

"El comercio no acepta pagos no autentificados. Pongase en contacto con su entidad para activar este tipo de pago. "

does that mean my card is not recognised or its just not working?

thanks again,

thanks for all your help, i have emailed the seller previously about delivering to Ireland, and have just let him know i dont have one of those ID numbers, waiting on him to get back to me.

another quick question i could do with some help is, when i am trying to enter in my credit card details i keep getting the same message back

"El comercio no acepta pagos no autentificados. Pongase en contacto con su entidad para activar este tipo de pago. "

does that mean my card is not recognised or its just not working?

thanks again,

Not exactly sure what it means but translated,

"The seller doesn't accept unauthenticated payments. Contact your bank to activate this type of payment".

Never had a credit card so cant be sure about the ins and outs of this manner of payment.You do need id everytime you use a card,be it credit or debit in a shop or supermarket ect,so maybe something similar is in place for online transactions.That seems to be the thing here.
    An Citeog has got the translation spot on.

• Advertisement

would you think it has something to do with not having one of those ID numbers?
    when I initially filled in the application form I put in my house number as my ID number, so now when i put in my card details the ID doesn't correspond?

Doubt it.Credit cards are international so you shouldnt need a DNI/NIE number to use it.Im surprised the site accepted your house number as valid because these numbers are usually five/six digits long and contain a letter or two also.No idea what the problem is but wouldnt imagine its that.

would you think it has something to do with not having one of those ID numbers?
    when I initially filled in the application form I put in my house number as my ID number, so now when i put in my card details the ID doesn't correspond?

It could be because you put your house number rather than a longer DNI or passport number but I couldn't tell you for certain. Is it a credit or a debit card? Is it on the seller's list of accepted methods of payment? If you want to post the link to whatever you're buying here, I'll take a look for you.

thanks for all the help, i suppose i cant to anything until the seller emails me back.

it was on the spanish ebay, for a phone, he doesnt accept Pay pal, he only accepts credit cards or bank transfer.
    the seller has his own website too which when you are paying for the item you have won on ebay you are directed to, its called:

http://www.latienducha.com/

• Advertisement

thanks for all the help, i suppose i cant to anything until the seller emails me back.
    it was on the spanish ebay, for a phone, he doesnt accept Pay pal, he only accepts credit cards or bank transfer.
    the seller has his own website too which when you are paying for the item you have won on ebay you are directed to, its called:

http://www.latienducha.com/

Yeah, just wait for the seller to get back to you and he should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Hi again,
    so far the seller has not emailed me back, i tried to ring him this morning but he does not speak english, so i want to mail him in spanish this time, does anybody know how to say-

"hello,

i bought nokia 5800 from you on ebay item no (....), as i am irish i do not have a Dni Nif, what should i do as your website will not let me complete the payment transaction without one.
    I tried to contact you by phone, but as i have no spanish it is difficult to communicate with you,

Kind Regards,"

Any help anybody could give me with writing this message would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ gives this as the translation for your message - it may not be 100% but based on the little Spanish I know it looks okay :)

" hola, compré a Nokia 5800 de usted en el artículo ebay ningun (….), como soy irlandés yo no tenga un Dni Nif, qué debe yo hacer pues su Web site no me dejará terminar la transacción del pago sin una. Intenté entrarle en contacto con por el teléfono, pero como no tengo ningun español él soy difícil de comunicar con usted, Atentamente, "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daisk

Just write your passport number instead of the DNI. But I dont think that has anything to do with the credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barbara23

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ gives this as the translation for your message - it may not be 100% but based on the little Spanish I know it looks okay :)

" hola, compré a Nokia 5800 de usted en el artículo ebay ningun (….), como soy irlandés yo no tenga un Dni Nif, qué debe yo hacer pues su Web site no me dejará terminar la transacción del pago sin una. Intenté entrarle en contacto con por el teléfono, pero como no tengo ningun español él soy difícil de comunicar con usted, Atentamente, "

Ok, I hope I'm not too late but this translation is pretty bad.

Try:

Hola, acabo de comprar una Nokia 5800 de usted del sitio web Ebay, artículo xxxx. Como soy irlandés yo no tengo un DNI/NIF y no sé que hacer para poder pagar porque el sitio web no me deja terminar la transacción. Intenté llamarse por teléfono pero, como yo no hablo el español, fue difícil comunicarnos. Atentamente, .....

Ive just realised the date of the last post, but Ive written it now! lol:pac:

Advertisement