Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere I could access these materials in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I've recently seen some steampunk art and accessories, and figure I'd like to have a go at making some steampunky accessories.
    However I'd like to know if I could pick any of the stuff up in Dublin instead of buying it online.

So if anyone has any information for me on where I could pick up
    • cogs/gears
    • general old watch mechanisms (These first two are proving difficult, Ive asked around two watch repairs places and they said they keep the gears)
    • Antique jewelery/trinkets- preferably not too expensive
    • Junk, as in old useless stuff.
    • Reisin
    • Chains (the small ones)- I know, easy enough to find, but if anyone knows of a place that sells them cheapish
    • Leather/leather substitute
    Anyhow, I appreciate your responses very much,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One of the exciting parts of doing this kind of work is collecting the materials, which can take ages! Leather cloth you will get in an upholstery shop, or you could look in MurphySheehy http://www.murphysheehy.com/.
    Old jewellery - trawl round the charity shops.
    Any of the other stuff - you just have to root around in markets and secondhand shops, you can also get things like jeans rivets and eyelets (the little round things that laces go through) in sewing supplies shops.
    You can harvest all sorts of interesting little gears and cogs from old machinery, including discarded computer periferals (scanners have lovely stuff in them). They are mostly plastic though.
    See if you can find a scrapyard to look around in, look out for small bits of cars and machinery that you can dismantle.
    Unless you are willing to spend a load of money on pre-sorted stuff on the net, you have to do it the hard way, who knows though it might be more profitable to harvest and sell the stuff yourself on e-bay, this is a popular craft :D

Advertisement