Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with facial shaving?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Folks,

having trouble with ingrown hairs on my face after i shave, particulary if i shave very close....sick of it at this stage.

condition of skin improves if i leave the facial hair grow for a few days but generally i have always a slightly red shaving rash complextion to my face, with the odd ingrown hair, so annoying. i sound gorgeous don't i!! any tips on how to shave properly and consistently would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Ditch the mach3/fusion that you use (assumption), and get yourself a DE safety razor.

I too had trouble with this. I think it was due to the fact that all these fancy razors lift the hair and then cut it, whereas the safety razor just cuts it close.

Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Warm water on the face .Choose a good shaving foam , maybe with aloe vera in it . I find the 5 pack twin blade gillette disposable as good as any with at least 5 shaves from one blade . Shaving downwards works for me although some swear by the upwards blade shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

A badger brush with a good shaving cream/soap will make a big difference. If using a cartridge shaver I wouldn't reccomend shaving against the grain. As stated earlier get a DE Saftey Razor for best results, but they do require a bit of time and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

When I used to shave I used Total Shaving Solution and found it to be very good.

http://www.totalshave.com/

You only need a few drops per shave so it works out fairly good value. They've also got some good shaving tips on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I too was plagued with ingrown beard hairs some years back.

The following routine has worked for me and I rarely suffer from them now.
    - Shower or bath before shaving
    - Exfoliate and use fresh clean face-cloth on face.
    - Shaving brush with King of Shaves shaving gel
    - Good sharp razor.
    - Clinique aftershave moisturising balm.

I also find if I skip shaving for a couple of days it makes my skin worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

It sounds like themultiblade cartridge is not doing it for you. These razors rely on hysteresis to give a close shave i.e. the first blade tugs the hair out of the folicle as it cuts it meanwhile as the next blade come along the hair is cut again, and so on. This means that the beard hairs are cut below the skin line which can cause the problems you are seeing. Try buying an old style DE razor and usning a brush and cream instead of canned foam. Plenty of advice at www.badgerandblade.com. Worked for me.

Advertisement