Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry skin

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have the worst dryest flakiest skin. Especially on my face- eyebrows, nose, chin and the worst on,in and behind my ears. I use nizoral shampoo and most moisturing creams and lotions burn my skin and vaseline makes my skin red. What can i use on my face that can help my problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

have you tried emulsifying ointment from the chemist?

you can use it as both a wash and as a lotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ya iv got a tub of it alright, i didn't know you can use it on your face. I'l try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'd really recommend E45 as it's a wonder cream! However, if you can splash out a little bit, go for a Dermalogica facial and they can recommend the right products for your skin. I went for one there a few weeks ago and I've hardly any dry skin now anymore, it's working wonders for me!

vitamin E cream is amazing. The plain unbranded type is best and it will work wonders on your dry skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I use E45 also, the one that comes in a tube. At my worst I've had to put it on every hour or two, but it definitely helps, as long as I kept using it even for a while after my skin appeared fine. Sometimes it can take a while for it to take effect.

If it's a serious problem for you, you should maybe take a trip to a dermatologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Gauge wrote: »
    I use E45 also, the one that comes in a tube. At my worst I've had to put it on every hour or two, but it definitely helps, as long as I kept using it even for a while after my skin appeared fine. Sometimes it can take a while for it to take effect.

If it's a serious problem for you, you should maybe take a trip to a dermatologist.

Yep - I've been using E45 for the past year and have found it to be the only cream that I can use that doesn't result in dry blotchy skin. Very happy with it. The only thing I'd recommend is to very lightly exfoliate your skin once a week - don't be too harsh though!! This really helps my skin - otherwise I could never wear makeup I'd be way too self consious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Put on Silcocks Base at night, its quite thick but excellent for extremely dry skin. You can also use it as a soap if you're skin is very sensitive. Once it clears up i'd stick to something like E45 cause the skin absorbs it quicker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried Aqueous cream? It costs less than a tenner for a huge tub and Boots and all chemists sell it. You can use it to moisturise, as an alternative to soap on dry skin, and you can even use it as a cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

As already mentioned E45 is a great treatment on dry skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

It could be Eczema, caused by stress and strain.

I had a small area of dry skin beside my lip, it was really bugging me so I then consulted my local doctor (because vitamin e moisturiser wasnt treating THIS area and other methods werent working) and he gave me a prescription for Fucidin H cream(this treats Eczema)

Its a cream that you put on the dry parts of your skin a couple times a day and it really helps!
    I would recommend it, my skin is fine now, no dryness or flakyness!
    Go for it if nothing else works and its annoying you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Tea tree oil works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tea tree oil works for me.

But teatree oil dries out the skin? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I have really bad dry skin too for the last fortnight I have had two really bad, painful patches on my face, and two on my arm. I put some bio oil on them last night and this morning they were completely gone. It's great stuff!

Advertisement