Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Your Haggling Strategies?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

OK. Times are tough. We'd all like to be able to go into a shop and argue/bargain/haggle with them and get the price down. Some of us (i.e. me) are crap at it. I know it and the salesman knows it. So, for those of you who are inveterate hagglers,what are your best strategies and tips? Some of you were even haggling at the height of the Celtic Tiger when shops didn't care at all about their customers. How do you do it?:D

P.S. Mine is:

Me (going red): Is that the best you can do?
    Salesman: Yes, to be honest I'm losing money at that price.
    Me (going redder): Are you? OK I'll add 10% on for you so.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

1. Have a price in mind which you want to pay.
    2. Do your homework, have a good argument why you think your price is a good one.
    3. It's just business, don't take things personally.
    4. Work with the retailer, you want to do a 'deal' that is good for both of you.
    5. Always finish with a handshake, then they will remember you for next time.

I normally only haggle either
    1) In a market buying anything.
    2) Private sale.
    3) Is worth more than €100 and is not the best deal.

Never feel bad about saying 'or I will walk away' and then going back on it, it's all part of doing the deal.

Remember, the price of an item is the invitation to offer, it is basically asking for offers of that value, no law states it needs to be sold for that value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not really a Bargain Alert, sorry for the delay in replying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement