Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a good enough reason to go back to college?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

very general inquiry to see if anyone has any advice...
    in a bit of a conundrum.
    am pretty unsatisfied in my current job (in advertising) though i'm getting on well in the role. however the thoughts of still being in the industry in 5 years time gives me mild panic attacks.
    i'm thinking of going back to college to do a postgrad (i have a degree in psychology) but not sure what area to go into. word on the street is that it's a good time to go back into education given the recession and all...
    are there any online or in-person careers advisory services out there i could use? has anyone else been in the same situation?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelllz

Well if the thoughts of being in the same industry is giving you mild panic attacks I would say go for it! I was in your situation last yr now in a full time 2 yr masters, its working for me! Really enjoying it....its hard but so worth it!

There's lots of areas you can go into with a psyc degree, have a search around the internet and look into a few different areas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woollysocks

thanks...
    i guess i'm worried about shelling out a small fortune in fees for a postgrad without knowing if it's really for me or not is the problem..... how did you decide on your postgrad? i've gone into the careers advice service in trinity (where I did my undergrad) before and did the prospects planner which pointed me in the way of advertising (!!!) but i found the service to be fairly topline and not very directional...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelllz

Well I'm a UCD gal myself.....but to be honest I never really found any career guidance service any good be it in school or UCD! I just kinda fell into it i suppose, followed on from my undergrad, I know what you're saying about the money tho.....it is a lot....but you might be entitled to a grant, you should check that out!

would you like to pursue psychology any further? what about something in the health care side of things? or would you like to stay in business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woollysocks

thanks shellz
    not sure which avenue to go down. not into the whole occ psych thing though i know it's a growing area.
    will have to sort it out in my head first i guess. cheers for your feedback!!

e

Advertisement