Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting onto PHD program without a primary degree

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I was wondering if anybody can help me with this query, basically how difficult is it to get accepted onto a PHD program without a primary degree? While I already have an Hons Masters and numerous professional qualifications and certificates in my particular field, I do not possess a primary degree. I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question" but I would like to establish if lacking a primary degree spells the death knell for me before I even attempt to pursue applying for any such program.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I was wondering if anybody can help me with this query, basically how difficult is it to get accepted onto a PHD program without a primary degree? While I already have an Hons Masters and numerous professional qualifications and certificates in my particular field, I do not possess a primary degree. I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question" but I would like to establish if lacking a primary degree spells the death knell for me before I even attempt to pursue applying for any such program.

Cheers

I think depends on the school. I would imagine in areas such as science however the piece of string would be very short; entry is quite tough even with a primary degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm just curious, how do you have an honours masters without a primary degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I'm just curious, how do you have an honours masters without a primary degree?

I think a lot of masters courses accept people with relevant professional experience instead of a degree. Right anyone?
    Did you get a first class honours masters, you'd need that without a primary degree I reckon. Get in tough with potential supervisors at different unis and you'll find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I think a lot of masters courses accept people with relevant professional experience instead of a degree. Right anyone?

Correct - depending on what previous qualifications you have and what relevant professional work experience you gained you can be accepted onto a masters course. I was in that situation and have since completed my masters.

Advertisement