Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tying off?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I just started making little plushie/teddy bear type things, and you know what? I'm not half bad! but I do have one problem...how do you tie off the thread? I mean, I know you put a knot in it but mine are always too small and tend to slip through the fabric or if they do work they are never far enough down the thread so I have to leave this big stringy bit hanging off whic, as you can imagine, looks ridiculus...so how do i do it properly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

This is probably not the correct way to do a tied off thread, but it's what I do and it works for me. I'm sure there are going to be others who know more than me but in the mean time perhaps this will help a little. On the wrong side of the fabric pull needle thru the last stitch making a loop and insert needle through back of loop. Pull tight to make knot then, do it again to insure knot holds together. You are really tying the threads together so it doesn't matter how big or small the knot is. If you are doing some kind of embroidery stitch like a bear's nose or something on the right side of the fabric with stuffing already in place do the same sort of knot then pull the needle through at the nose area and out of the bear at a little distance from the nose and clip close to the fabric. That leaves the long clip of thread on the inside of the bear so it won't unravel as easily. I hope this is of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nelliet

I'm not sure if this is right either, but here is what i do. poke needle through partway to wrong side, wind the thread around the needle tip four or five times, then pull the needle all the way through the winds, being careful not to let them uncoil. then pull tight, like a french knot. then I tthred the thered back through a couple of stiches and cut very close.

Advertisement