Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primer

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this has been done before but I couldn't find a thread about it. I'm looking to buy a really good primer, what do people think the best one out there is?

Thanks for your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

ooh me too actually....

Don't wanna break the bank though! I've been scouring boots for them but no luck...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

For face - Smashbox Primer
    For eyes - Urban decay Primer potion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd recommend smashbox primer too. Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I love Benefit primer. It smells amazing and worked really well for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I dont think im a real girl, whats primer? I thought you posted in the wrong forum and meant to post in DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

primer is a lotion you put on your face before applying makeup. It provides an even base for foundation and helps it last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭XXNikXX

estee lauder do a brilliant primer... not exactly cheap but lasts ages so well worth it.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

The smashbox one is good but No7 brought one out and it is great you only need the smallest amount so it lasts ages and its not that expensive about €15

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

The mac primer is great not sure how much it his because my aunt got it for me in new york but a little bit goes a long way so would last ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i found the benefit one great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mandcal

estee lauder matte base primer. brill stuff!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I'm interested in buying a primer aswell.

Benefit/Mac/Smashbox/Estee Lauder..decisions decisions!!
    Seems they're all much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

lubie76 wrote: »
    For face - Smashbox Primer
    For eyes - Urban decay Primer potion

+1

I use the Smashbox Photo Finish primer with SPF. It is actually amazing! It keeps your make up on all day, and gives a smoother even base for your foundation! Also helps to even stuff out, so that ou don't necessarily need to wear foundation! I've also used Benefits, "That Gal", and it is really good for making your face look fresher and more even if you don't want to wear foundation! The Smashbox one is between €30 and €40 and can be bought in various chemists, not too sure about department stores/the internet though. The Benefit one is €29.50, or something very close to that, and can be bought in BT's, some Debenhams, Arnotts, the usual suspects when it comes to Benefit!

I think you're looking for a face primer, but Urban Decay's Eye Primer Potion is absolutely amazing! It is like a miracle product and I could sing its praises all day. This stuff seriously works, and I often wear quite big bright looks so I need something a little hardcore. I LOVE it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ok so does primer have to match your foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Doesnt have a colour,well mine didnt. It just goes on see-through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Ok so does primer have to match your foundation?

No, not at all. They are usually transperant, even the ones that look pink/skin tones. The Benefit one I mentioned is a light pinky colour but goes on clear, and the Smashbox one is either transparent or skin colour-ish (depending on which version you go for!) and again, goes on clear! :D It is just a base, over which you can put your foundation which matches your skin tone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Spootie

+1 Smashbox photo finish is brilliant. The best Primer I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I use Estee Lauder Idealist most of the time. I think it's officially a 'skin refinisher' but that's a posh word for primer. I also own Smashbox and find it good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm works great as a primer when your skin has that hungover look - it gives a lovely glow.

The urban decay primer is great for eyes - check for the vids on youtube showing the amount of product that gets stuck in the tube though when you think its empty (cutting it in half and transferring it to another little jar or something works!). Apparently they were meant to be changing the design but it hasnt happened.

The smashbox primer is pretty good and gosh do a cheaper alternative. No 7 also do an eye primer which is quite good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Estee lauder idealist is fantastic but really expensive, have to save up to get some more. Origins have one too, cant remember the name but it would be similar to the estee lauder one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I use the Laura Mercier one. Bobbi Brown have primer built into their moisturisers which works well too and you don't have to buy 2 separate products

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've used GOSH primer which is pretty awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Crazy as it sounds, this stuff is a great dupe for the Smashbox primer at a fraction of the cost. You might have to get it online, though, I'm not sure if it's available in Ireland.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/2688072673_397e2ff848.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

i like the Paul and Joe one its only 22uro on asos but i havent seen it in Ireland...its got an SPF 15 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I like the Prescriptives one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Betsy-Wetsy

I was told the Benefit primer "that gal" was very good so i bought it. i love the smell of it, it's like strawberry cheesecake :DAnd before that i had the MAC primer which i thought was brilliant, makes your skin feel like satin and its easier to blend your foundation. lasts ages too.

both of them are in or around the 20euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I just bought the benefit primer "dr feelgood" the other day. Lovely smell. And it makes my large pores on the cheaks look much smaller. Can be underneath or on top of makeup or without any make up at all. Great stuff. I use it for eyes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

ive only ever used the smashbox photofinish.. brilliant but pretty pricey!
    id love a cheaper alternative, couldnt find the no.7 one mentioned anywhere tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

smashbox for face primer..its AMAZING!

i also think eyeshadow primer is fantasticc...it hold your eyesgadow inplace and you dont get that panda eyed creased effect!best one is lemon aid by benefit!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement