Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First degree meaning?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place,

I'm looking into doing some post grad study, probably in the UK.

I have a BSc Arch Tech which is an ordinary degree and i got a 2.1

my question is a language one i suppose..

when a uni says "Applicants should possess a good first degree" is a first degree what we know as an honers degree? or is it any level of undergrad degree? or have i completely confused myself?

any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is your first undergraduate award. Say you do a BSc in Arc Tech and then an MSc in Business, two unrelated subjects.

Your first degree would be the first one you are awarded, i.e. the BSc. The idea behind this, I believe is that if you wanted to do a further qualification in the business area, but your primary/first degree was not in business, you may not meet the entry requirements for the further qualification.

Advertisement