Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grants in Scotland?

• 09-12-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Is it right that I won't have to pay any tuition fees if I go study in Scotland. I have checked the SAAS website and this seems to be the case but I need to make sure.
    Any responses would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i found a thing the other day on the citizens information website that said if it's your first undergraduate course you dont have to pay fees if you're from the EU.

was trying to find the link but the website isnt working right now, ill have a look later and post it then.

EDIT: sites working now
    Scotland: Scottish students and EU students who started their first full-time degree course in Scotland do not pay fees. Those who graduate after 1 April 2007 do not have to pay the Graduate Endowment which is a fixed amount that some graduates have to pay at the end of their degree.

linky

i'm open to correction but i don't think you have to pay fees... well i hope not anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Nope you dont pay fee's.
    That is the reason alot of Irish students go to Scotland instead of going to England (not sure about Wales) to finish off degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dinner's ready!

Just wondering do you know if I would be eligble for this grant? I started a degree course in Ireland in September but dropped out after 2 months. Would this mean that I wouldn't qualify as technically it wouldn't be my first full-time degree, even though I didn't complete it?
    I know that if I apply to another course in Ireland next year that I will only have to pay full fees for the first half of my first year, and then fees as normal after that. Would it be the same case with Scotland?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tim131

I could be wrong, but I think as long as it is the first time you are taking an undergraduate course in Scotland or possibly the UK, you will get the grant. So the fact you did a bit of an Irish degree should have no bearing on whether or not you get the Scottish grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Tim131 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think as long as it is the first time you are taking an undergraduate course in Scotland or possibly the UK, you will get the grant. So the fact you did a bit of an Irish degree should have no bearing on whether or not you get the Scottish grant.

That's exactly the question I'm trying to figure out at the minute (thank you search function!). If anyone can clarify it would be much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

You wont get a Scottish grant. The grant you will get (if you are entitled to one at all as it is means tested) is the Irish grant, i.e. the one from your local council. This is the same grant you get if you are studying in Ireland, the council will give it to you whether you are studying in Ireland or Scotland.

@ dinners ready! - why did you drop out of the course? If it was due to medical reasons (stress etc) you should be entitled to it again. You usually wont get the grant if you repeat a year but there are exceptions - medical reasons being one.

Your fee's will be paid by SAAS so you wont have to pay fee's.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

kildara wrote: »
    Your fee's will be paid by SAAS so you wont have to pay fee's.

You have any idea if this still applies if I've already done an undergrad in Ireland?

abelard wrote: »
    You have any idea if this still applies if I've already done an undergrad in Ireland?

Yes as far as I know SAAS will pay the fees even if you have completed an degree in Ireland. I'm sure their website will clarify either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Bonzostar wrote: »
    Is it right that I won't have to pay any tuition fees if I go study in Scotland. I have checked the SAAS website and this seems to be the case but I need to make sure.
    Any responses would be appreciated.
    Yes that is right. I did my degree in Scotland and am now doing post grad here too. Fees are paid by SAAS. Used to be some kind of thing where you had to pay back a certain amount after graduation, (only a small percentage at that) but thats been done away with too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

kildara wrote: »
    Yes as far as I know SAAS will pay the fees even if you have completed an degree in Ireland. I'm sure their website will clarify either way though.
    Oh and yep, they def still pay the fees even if your original degree was in Ireland. A few of my flatmates on the same course as me completed their degrees in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just checked the saas website there. im just finishing 1st year of study here in ireland, so if i were to transfer over to scotland and continue studying the degree over there(2nd to final year say), i would still get the mature students grant im currently getting from my vec, and i may qualify for an allowence from the saas aswell, is that right?
    farkin ell!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hi, Iv got a conditional offer to finish my higher degree course in one of the unis in Edinburgh. I no that i can get a grant from my local VEC, but does anyone know if the rates are the same as those that you get when your studying in Ireland? Is there any difference in the means test?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've been looking into Scotland myself as Aberdeen does a great politics course.
    I'll be finished my BA in a couple of years and would love to do Aberdeen's politics course.

The SAAS website says;
    SAAS wrote:
    We will not normally pay tuition fees, the Bursary or the Additional Loan if you have previously been on a full-time higher education course at HNC, HND, degree or equivalent level, and had help from public funds to do so. However you can still apply for the student loan and any supplementary grants that may apply to you, including travel expenses.

Does the BA on free fees count as an equivalent level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tim131 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think as long as it is the first time you are taking an undergraduate course in Scotland or possibly the UK, you will get the grant.

Shouldn't that be Scotland, or possibly the rest of the UK?

Please clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Just to clarify for people;

I got onto the SAAS (who help you out with fees in Scotland)

They told me that education in your home country doesn't matter so you can still apply for tuition fee help in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 detriment

Camelot wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be Scotland, or possibly the rest of the UK?

Please clarify.

If you already have a degree from outside the UK, you will be eligible to have your fees paid by the SAAS in Scotland. I sent an email to the SAAS and they confirmed this. If you already have a degree from outside the UK, you are eligible for government funded loans in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, to cover the cost of tuition. In either case, you'll get no help with maintenance. If you already have a degree, Scotland is the best option, because you won't have to pay back fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hi,

Im currently coming towards the end of my undergraduate degree here in Ireland. Im wondering that if I went and did a postgrad in Scotland, would I have to pay fees?

Any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hey Hulk Hands.

No, you wont have to pay fees if you are coming to scotland next year.

You need to fill in a form on SAAS. They are the equivalent to the VEC in Ireland, but they wont pay out on maintenance for you.
    If you are in receipt of the grant from the VEC at the moment, then, as long as you meet the normal criteria (i.e cut off points etc), you should be eligible for the full grant over here. If this is the case you should apply for the grant as soon as you get confirmation from your new college of your place as you need to get forms filled out when you register with your college. However theses forms (as far as I can remember from last year) are only issued to you once you get confirmation of the grant. Your local grant office should be able to let you know anyways.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

just to let you know that saas have changed their funding for postgrads for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

just to let you know that saas have changed their funding for postgrads for this year

how so? i've just accepted to do my masters in Scotland, i currently receive a grant here and wondering is there any financial aid I would be entitled to in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

how so? i've just accepted to do my masters in Scotland, i currently receive a grant here and wondering is there any financial aid I would be entitled to in Scotland.

they now only fund tuition costs,no maintenance cost and i think there are less places.you cant apply online,you have to apply to the college and they nominate you if they have funding places for your course,some on a first come first serve basis

local grants are totally different to saas funding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I sent off a online application regarding undergrad fee funding for when i start in sept. Its been a few weeks how long before i hear back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kanderson

I sent off a online application regarding undergrad fee funding for when i start in sept. Its been a few weeks how long before i hear back?

It says on the website that if you have not received a letter with in 28 days to contact them. I sent mine last week of May got my letter 2 days ago. Just wondering do i just bring it to the university in September and thats it or is there anything else i gotta do before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

woohoo mine arrived today. Still can't believe I can get funding. :)

I'd say we bring it with us

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

:) hi there.

I want to study psychology in the UK. i did a BA in ARTS in NUIG a few years back and teaching ever since. Now I want to pursue psychology.

has anyone heard of a two year psychology conversion course in the UK?

Or a good UNI for psychology??

I would love any information.

Have been accepted onto a great psychotherapy program here in ireland but not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leeroy23

can i get a grant in scotland even if im from ireland in a ful time level 3 course?

Advertisement