Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New man's watch

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I am looking for a new watch. Nothing too ott or blingey.
    I am considering spending up to €450 as it is my xmas pressie to myself.

I've looked in a few shops ie Weirs, Fields.

Can anybody recommend a nice watch in that price bracket and where to buy it. I don't want to travel to Belfast.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have always been a Seiko watch person myself but really depends what you want.

I just bought a new one myself last week and spent €300 on it.

I was like Del Boy at one stage. Tried on 10 watches last time for a few different brands and process of knocking them off one at a time.

Not looking at makes ended up down two Seiko watches.

I always look for watch makers (Seiko, Tossit etc) instead of your Gucci and them kind of watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Toy Watch Company are brilliant looking, crazy kinda see through crystal watches. Really different and lots of different colours

02-06-2008_ToyWatchWhite_Medium.jpg

11-10-2008_ToyWatch_FluoBlk_Medium.jpg

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/shop.php/toy-watch-company/c_93.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well what kind of watch are you looking for??

Sporty?
    Casual?
    Dressy?

Chrono?
    Quartz
    Automatic?

Info helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

If you don't mind purchasing a second hand watch then try the forum on www.watchuseek.com. Their sales section has pretty much every make you can imagine and because they are second hand you will get a much better watch for a lot less than it would cost brand new, some nice brands aswell (Seiko, Breitling, IWC, Tag Heuer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

Hi fields is very good and i think they have 10% off at the moment so there is a saving to be made. I know from looking at the men's watches there they have a good selection. I bought a Longines there a couple of months ago and got 95 euro off (10%), i though it was really good. I presume its a girls watch you are looking for. I collect watches and i suppose the only advice i can give you is to steer clear from the predictable bling watches like D&G, Tommy and all those kind of watches. you would prob appreciate a watch that is made by a true watch company and not a clothes designer!. I always think men's watches (meduim face) look great on a woman with a leather strap. If you were going to pay around 450 for a womens watch i would prob suggest venturing into meduim sized men's watches such as seiko. Although i am not a huge fan of seiko, they are a watch company that i cant fault for quality and value but every shop you look into has a seiko watch in the window. But i suppose that can also be a testament to their quality!. I dont know what the selection of women's watches are like in longines but you wont regret it. You may be lucky to get a watch made by them for around 450?.
    Deffo check out seikos though, the selection is endless. coming from a guy who loves and collects his watches, i think there is nothing more interesting than a woman wearing a man's style watch with a leather strap. It goes with everything and of course there are men's watches out there that are not bulky either so it wont stand out as a miss-fit! kind of thing. Do you know what! i'm actually not sure? I'll have a look around the web for ideas!

• Advertisement

Tbh, just go on to eBay and take your pic, I was going to buy a Tag for 2k during the summer, decided against it and bought an Invicta off eBay for €50 and I couldn't be happier with it. I only wear it occasionally, it's not a top of the line watch but it tells the time the same as an expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The missus got me a Seiko Sapphire last Xmas for circa €300. It's a kinetic model, looks very smart as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jason31

i had a tag kirum once, best and coolest watch i ever had!! it got robbed but i still want it back!!! will be buying another when i have sheets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm not a huge fan of Tissot, but the ones I did like were the plain PRC 200 (as above except without the chrono) with a white face, It was simple which is why I liked it.

Other than that I'd go for the Quadrato, either brown with leather strap and chrono, or white face and bracelet. (pics don't do them justice)

Tissot-quadrato-2.jpgL11147688.jpg

For the record OP, I'm assuming by your name that you're looking for a mans watch but you are a woman, I personally think a square shaped case like the Quadrato above would really suit a woman, depending on her size of course, and they're within your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Personally I would keep the 450, double it next year, and do so for a few more years, and then buy a watch you'll be able to pass on to your children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

Hi, that Tissot looks really well. I never tried it on though. I think its in or around 370 euro?. I could be very wrong there. I have always been hearing mixed things about tissot but i bought my first one there about a month ago and it is my favourate watch yet!. Its the (T) touch , touch screen with thermo,weather,Altimeter and compass. The only thing is the strap is brown leather and looks taty and dirty already. The girl in the shop made the comment to me about the tissot above and the other one that you may have seen that has white on the outside around the face from 12 to 3 o'clock , they are going like hot-cakes out of the shops at the moment for x-mas so that i suppose says something about how attractive they are!. I have had steel strap watches for years but decided to get an interest in good leather straps and find them very nice to wear. Those square faced tissots above prob are a good choice but i am not a fan of those i tend to go for the trad round face. I suppose a 40mm would be the best. Has anyone ever seen the seiko Monster diving watch with an orange face here. I would love to get my hands on one if they are been sold from new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bedlam wrote: »
    Personally I find the dial a bit over bearing and as MagicMarker said would be more inclined towards a non chrono version.

A few suggestions but with out knowing what style you are looking for it's hard to recommend.

Sinn 556 Stainless Steel 455euro
    Stowa Airman Automatic 464euro
    Seiko SCVS013 249euro
    Alba AAAA101 154euro
    Meister Singer Scrypto 459euro

All are at or under the 40mm size bar the Meister Singer which could possible be a bit over bearing on your wrist. Both the Seiko and Alba (made by Seiko) would pass for smart casual / business attire. The Sinn are probably one of the best value for money watches you can get (along with Seiko) quality is top notch for the price but you do have to pay a little more for some of the nicer pieces.

For just over your budget (min 477euro) you could design your own Blancier watch

i was going to goto the trouble of doing this but bedlam has already.

the watches above are incredible value for money for under 500, anything you buy on the dublin high street for 500 will be incredibly bad value for money and thats with a 15% discount :p

oh, he forgot the stowa marine, its the auto version not the marine original but its very nice

http://www.german-watches.com/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=17665&ls=e&nc=1229531160-17745&rubnum=marine&artnum=marine40&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--marine

Advertisement