Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas boiler regulations?

• 13-11-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, we care getting a new kitchen in and a gas guy looked at the existing natural gas boiler and said it would not be certified because it is not fixed to an outside wall. Anybody know if this is true? Are there alternatives?

This is a problem because we are in a terraced house and dont have much external wallspace.

At the same time he has vertical flue boilers in his catalogue, which is what we have at the moment.

Thanks a million!
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

There’s nothing in the regulations that say the boiler has to be on an outside wall
    Or you leaving the boiler where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hserk

I will definitely leave it where it is if they will certify it, but your man wasnt having it last time. Time for a second opinion I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mightymouse311

im a gas fitter n i never heard of it mate id get the manufacturers instructions and have a look them it depends on the make of boiler def get a second opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hserk the guy did not lie to you ,about the boiler position.
    Anyone that tells you otherwise ,won't be able to issue you with a certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

311 wrote: »
    Hserk the guy did not lie to you ,about the boiler position. Anyone that tells you otherwise ,won't be able to issue you with a certificate.
    Is this a new regulation then, and if so, what is the basis for it? What if there physically isn't any space to install a boiler against an outside wall, and the existing one has been attached to an inside wall (in a corner of the kitchen with the flu going straight out via an outside wall) for several years. I don't recall ever seeing a certificate of any kind for my existing boiler when I bought the house, or ever being asked for one (e.g. for insurance purposes) either. Confused :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Alun ,sorry for been short with this answer ,but I'm not going to get into anymore regulations on the forum here.
    I've had a few people post replies after mine and make it look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

So I'll only post in future ,when I think someone is been given the wrong information or if someone wants to PM me ,no problem.

311 wrote: »
    Hserk the guy did not lie to you ,about the boiler position.
    Anyone that tells you otherwise ,won't be able to issue you with a certificate.
    it there a re
    Is there a regulation that states that a gas boiler has to be fitted to an outside wall.
    I know that Bord Gáis and boiler manufactures advise and recommend that a boiler should be attached to an outside wall
    These are only recommendations they are not regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I’m no ‘expert’ in the regulations, but I looked up the Department of Environment website (http://www.environ.ie/en/) and I found the following link to Gas Boiler Regulations (http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,16982,en.pdf ). Have a look at page 5 and it states ‘It is acceptable to install a gas boiler in any room other than the principle living room. See Section 9’

Section 9 states, among other things, that ‘Note that once the assessment is complete the boiler can be installed in any location to meet householder preferences provided it meets regulations and manufacturer's installation requirements’.

I had a look and the Installation Instructions for my own boiler and it states : ‘The appliance may be installed in any room or internal space, although particular attention is drawn to the regulations of the current I.E.E. wiring regulations ……’.

Reading the regulations, it would seem to suggest that the installation of the ‘flue’ is critical to the installation (as you would expect). I also believe that common sense would also dictate that it is mounted on a non-combustible surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Sorry 'bout the appearance of my last post. Typed the draft in Word so I could de a spell check and then did a 'cut and paste', and that's how it ended up.

Should have read :

I’m no ‘expert’ in the regulations, but I looked up the Department of Environment website (http://www.environ.ie/en/) and I found the following link to Gas Boiler Regulations (http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,16982,en.pdf[/FONT][FONT=Times ). Have a look at page 5 and it states ‘It is acceptable to install a gas boiler in any room other than the principle living room. See Section 9’

Section 9 states, among other things, that ‘Note that once the assessment is complete the boiler can be installed in any location to meet householder preferences provided it meets regulations and manufacturer's installation requirements’.

I had a look and the Installation Instructions for my own boiler and it states : ‘The appliance may be installed in any room or internal space, although particular attention is drawn to the regulations of the current I.E.E. wiring regulations ……’.

Reading the regulations, it would seem to suggest that the installation of the ‘flue’ is critical to the installation (as you would expect). I also believe that common sense would also dictate that it is mounted on a non-combustible surface.

Hserk is being ask to replace his boiler for no reason.
    [The gas guy] I presume is an installer; is trying to sell him a boiler
    He is doing so by quoting non existing regulations
    He is giving all gas installers, a bad name, and is acting no better than a cowboy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement