Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamps from Bottles

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My 5 year old wants to make a table lamp for his new bedroom. So he has collected shells from the beach which he wants to stick on the outside of the bottle.

I have seen similar lamps in the past and there is a white paste / cement put onto the bottle and the shells stuck into this cement.

My question is, what cement is used to put onto the bottle that will hold the shells?

Regards,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Try epoxy resin - it would ruin the look slightly, but it should hold the shells onto the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Ordinary tiling grout will work just as well, mix it up quite thickly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 copperfield

Transparent poxypol would be my first choice. And don't forget to boil the bottle for better adherence! Hey, have fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 orlaigh

Being of the older gen we used to make the bottles with the shells. The white paste was the putty that you used to put in windows. I dont know if it is still available or used anymore but if you know any glaziers they might know.:)
    An alternative that has already been given is maybe tile cement.

Advertisement