Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a film pitch- how can I submit it?

Options
  • 23-10-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have, what I think is a great film idea. How can I pitch it to someone in the industry without having to pay a fee (some websites claim they can pitch for you but charge a 'membership' fee or you have to buy a CD- live moviepitch.com) and without my idea being 'stolen'?

It's just an idea, not a script. I've heard that Bob Kosberg is the pitching man in Hollywood.
    Thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

There's a difference between an idea and a script, which one is it? You tend to pitch a script, not an idea.

If it's a script then copyright it to avoid problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

t's just an idea, not a script. I've heard that Bob Kosberg is the pitching man in Hollywood.

As Soldie says there is no protection for *ideas* anyone can come up with ideas and anyone can take em.

To protect your idea you got to develope it.

That means a treatment and a script would be the two best things.

If you feel your no good at writing, write a treatment and try and see if you can find someone interested in writing it.

Still remember the idea can always be stolen, its specifics that cant be, so the more detailed the treatment, the better chance you have in a courtcase if it is stolen.

Now under EU law, the moment you write a script/treatment its copyrighted, this doesnt apply to the US, but in ireland and the rest of europe you write it, then its yours.

But you will need to prove it so obviously make copies get a copy stamped etc, put it up on websites and email it etc are actually good things to do to an extent because they all date stamp the work.

In the US you need to actually go and get a copyright for your work. Different matter. I wouldnt know much about that though :(

Best advice I can give if you only have an *idea* then start making connections, not pitching an idea, help people with their projects, get them working with you on your project etc etc, turn the idea into something physical.

Advertisement