Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement Ring

• 21-10-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Looking at getting engaged in the next few weeks just need the ring budget up to 1000 idealy and i know not very romantic but i want her to come along and pick out the ring.

Plan is my dad went to school with a guy who is now a very good jeweller and that is where my mum got her ring and the ideal was to go there and hopefully should get a very good deal.

But...
    I have been looking online over the past few days and im wondering will i get any better value buying online or what is the general concensus. Obviously she would have to try on something similar to make sure shre likes the style and get the correct fitting. I dont know am i getting ahead of myself here but it just seems a bit more hassle free.

Have been looking on golden mine and have found a good few in the style she wants for the right price will i be getting value for money or am i better off going the traditional way.

Just to note theres no prob with her shes not overly fussed about the whole thing and eveything doesnt not need to be done to the last she just wants a nice ring that suits her doesnt mind what it costs prob is the jeweler is in dublin im living in cork and the parents are from kilkenny so its just a bit hard getting the OH and parents and myself up to dublin at the same time and to get a ring. Hence me looking to the internet.

Thanks

Also to add if anyones got any nice stories of proposals wouldnt go amis ;) or point me in the right direction

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

I wouldnt get it on the internet if I were you... it's probably the bigggest thing you will ever buy, better to see it in the "flesh" and fitting properly.

As for proposals, read in a magazine where a guy did a kind of treasure hunt for his fiance, clues to different places of meaning in their relationship... the prize at the end was him in their new house with baloons and flowers down on one knee with a photo of him which she didnt know he took that had "will you marry me" on his t-shirt standing behind her, taken before the engagement without her knowing! Cant beat that story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I buy a lot of things online, but really wouldn't feel comfortable getting something this big and important on the internet, especially as fitting is important too.

With regards to bringing your girlfriend along to choose a ring, that's still a romantic thing to do. Better than buying a ring and her not liking it and having to pretend she does!

Myself and my wife went to look at rings together, but we were just looking, not buying. When she picked the ring she liked the most, we took the details of it and left it at that. A couple of months later I went back and bought it and proposed to her, and she'd no idea I was going. I mean, obviously, she knew we would get engaged at sometime, but had no idea when, so it was still a big surprise for her, and still very romantic.

As for the proposal itself, it really comes down to you and her and what works for you both. I booked a surprise short trip to New York, but ended up simply proposing in our house the night before as I couldn't wait anymore! Just pick a moment and go with it, I think the more you build it up and the more complicated it gets, the more could go wrong!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Well we're both quite young at 20 and bit skint at the moment so leaning more towards romantic stuff than big gestures if you know what i mean.

Ya i knida had it in my head would be better to see it in person was just looking around the internet and seemed to take a lot of hassle out of it.

Thanks for the advise and the story has me thinking a bit more.

If anyone else has any good engagment stories would love to hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

When we went for mine, I picked it out, tried it on (all very exciting) but when we went to collect it my OH picked it up and 'dropped it'. I nearly died on the spot, and the sales assistant nearly had a heart attack, dropped to the floor to look for it - we hadn't paid for it at that stage. He was in hysterics, because of our reactions - he had it in his hand the whole time.

Nearly 20 years later he still has a laugh about it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

My fiance picked my ring all by himself and I love it! Coudln't have picked a better ring! he knows my taste really well though.

Proposal was really simple and I loved it, cos it kind of fitted in with how are life is.

I went down to feed the dog and was clearing the coffee table.
    He called me upstairs and I told him I was busy, he told me he wanted to show me something, I told him to f**k off I was busy, but then felt bad so went upstairs with an empty crisp packet in my hand.

Walked into the room, and he was on one knee in his boxers with t/shirt on and a box in his hand

He'd messed about things like this before, so I thought he was messing, I was looking at the box going where did he get that? Is it for a tie pin.

Literally took me about 20 seconds to realise what was happening, then I burst into tears, didn't look at the ring, didn't say yes, just kept crying.

It was so romantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

my fiance got my engagement ring online and i love it. far nicer than anything id ever seen and while he paid 1k for it i recently had it valued and it was valued at 8750!!!

id recommend it. we'll be buying our wedding rings online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Me and my fiance went to pick out my engagement ring together. A few months after actually getting engaged. We were totally broke students :D

I don't think it take any romance out of it. And having a look around in random jewellery shops was fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

We went together to pick my ring and bought it in H Samuels. Honestly I dont think it matters where it is bought or how much is spent on it, I wouldnt be at all materialistic anyway.

We bought our wedding rings in a jewlers in Fuerteventura when we were there and they were very high quality and only 600 euro altogether. I wouldnt buy it online though there are quite a few fake sites outthere.

I lost my engagement ring before I got married :eek: and ended up getting a ring in New York, in a shop that was closing down, for $900, 1.1ct reduced from some ridiculous amount, it's fab and anything close to it here would cost soooo much more, so I dunno, I would like to say, go online and get a bargain, but it really all depends on your wife to be, and also, if the site can be trusted, I'd be afraid of you getting stung......

The treasure hunt thingy sounds lovely, my friend got engaged on christmas day, and for days before she kept asking her boyfriend where her xmas card was so she could put it on the mantelpiece and he kept fobbing her off, so on xmas morning, he gave her her pressie and that was that, then he left the room and shouted, oh your card is on the table, so she read it and it said

To xxx,
    happy christmas,
    love you,
    from xxx

Oh, and by the way....

And she turned around (confused) and there he was on one knee saying will you marry me, so simple, yet soooooo sweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

To xxx,
    happy christmas,
    love you,
    from xxx

Oh, and by the way....

And she turned around (confused) and there he was on one knee saying will you marry me, so simple, yet soooooo sweet.

Wow! That is so romantic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

bstar wrote: »
    my fiance got my engagement ring online and i love it. far nicer than anything id ever seen and while he paid 1k for it i recently had it valued and it was valued at 8750!!!

Bstar, myself and my boyf are going to purchase my ring online over the next couple of weeks. I chose it over the summer. Can I ask what site you have used? And was there any complications in doing it this way? Thanks

Psittacosis - congrats!!! Best of luck with everything, it will be sweet no matter how you do it!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Would you mind telling me where you got it valued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

he never told me the site name but ill ask later on. it was valued by jewellers in the powerscourt centre y?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

he never told me the site name but ill ask later on. it was valued by jewellers in the powerscourt centre y?

Because I have a 3 carat, vvs2 clarity. I'd like to get it valued as things didn't work out , I have to try and sell it, a valuation wil help me try and sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

girliegirl wrote: »
    I wouldnt get it on the internet if I were you... it's probably the bigggest thing you will ever buy, better to see it in the "flesh" and fitting properly.

Not even close to the biggest thing really. What about houses, car, furniture, family holidays etc.?

Advertisement