Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to frame oil painting?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much it would be to get an oil painting framed. It's roughly 100cm * 75cm. It needs to be stretched I think. I've no idear how much these things can cost....

Any advice welcome
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You can save a lot of money buying a frame second hand, if you can find one that fits exactly. Of course, that won't help if it needs to be stretched.

For new, I'd say about €100+ for the frame, depending on how good a frame you want. Couldn't tell you how much stretching would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Instead of re stretching it, maybe you could consider mounting it flat on a piece of panel using adhesive brushed onto the panel thinly, and placing under some heavy, flat objects overnight. You will now have a canvas panel ready to frame. Like the previous post says, a second hand frame is a good idea, or you could even try Atlantic homecare, they have a large enough selection of inexpensive frames...you could pick out the least 'tackiest'... and remove the glass also. if the frame is slightly on the large side, use mounting board (get a framer to cut this for you) to place over the canvas, so that it will fit into the frame. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wickedfairy

try an auction house such as buckleys in sandycove, they often have second hand frames/art for sale, can be very reasonable.
    Wickedfairy

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Find a good handyman with a good router. Or... do a carpentry course in one of those evening courses.

Frames are very easily made. I make them for my wife's paintings and from one piece of timber stock that would cost about €10, I would get an average of 6 or 7 frames, depending on the type of frame she wants.

They are very easily made.

Advertisement