Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Calling

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hello ladies and gents, I'm headin to London this weekend and would love to know the best spots to hit for some fabulous shopping. This includes department stores, boutiques, markets etc.

So if any of you have any tips for London shopping, please post and let me know :D

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Ooh, I love London shopping! Carnaby Street has some good shops and it's nice even just to walk around. It's just south of Oxford Street, off Great Marlborough Street. If you walk south from the huuge Topshop store on Oxford street, Great Marlborough street is on the left. Also further along Great Marlborough Street is Beyond Retro, a great vintage store. I got a fab pair of cowboy boots there and they have some great vintage handbags and scarves. Another good store is Uniqlo, for casual stuff. There's a few along Oxford street.

That's all I can think of at the minute! :)

Oh and also Portobello road. There's Portobello antiques market there on Saturdays, but if that's not your thing there's some really cool little clothes and jewellery shops. Get off at Notting Hill Gate tube station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimzytwin

You need to go to Camden Market, it is just insane how good it is. I could have spent my whole time in London in Camden, I loved it so much. More of the market opens at the weekend but it's still good during the week. Oxford St is great as well, check out Uniqlo and American Apparel for casual stuff and Topshop on Oxford St needs to be seen to be believed, it's huge! Selfridges is also good and check out Harrods if you get a chance. Covent Garden is also great for picking up accessories and tshirts and that kind of thing. As you might have gathered I love London, have loads of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Oh, you're so lucky, I lurve London! As said, Portebello Market is great, but can be a bit of a trek, what with all the antiques and tourists getting in the way of the fun things! Camden has to be visited, a bit rock/goth but lots of funky stalls. Wander around Covent Garden, not just the main market area, but down the side streets, there are loads of cool little boutiques (look for a sign for an ice-cream place called Scoop, down a side street, amazing!) Oxford street is shopping heaven, but i find that it can be time consuming if you're looking for something different, as most of the stores are in Ireland now. Still worth it though, my fav route is to get to Piccadilly Circus, go up Regent St, then you come to Oxford St., lots of good shops on the way. For something very different, Spitafields Market on Sunday is great, it's opposite Liverpool St. station, down by a glass office block. Brick Lane is near there, haven't made it there yet, but meant to be very funky. Of course, if you want the department store experience, just head to Knightsbridge, Harvey Nichols and Harrods, you can spend the day looking at mamzing clothes and wishing you had money (Harrods is a bit touristy though). Selfridges on Oxford St is cool too, Primark is just past it but to be honest I don't think it's worth the hassle, the queues are crazy and it's mostly the same stuff as Penneys.
    As you can see, I love London shops!!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Beyond Retro really is great, got some lovely pieces! There's some painfully cool shops along Brick Lane, limited edition runners and the likes and in you're into music, the Rough Trade Shop East is worth a look. I bought six vinyls and worried about them the whole flight home!
    Camden Market is definitely worth a trip, great shops and food. The Dover Street Market houses some cool labels like Fred Perry and Comme des Garcons.
    Topshop on Oxford Street is HUGE and they have loads of stuff we don't have here, including local designers.

Advertisement