Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

smashey wrote: »
    Eh, Derry is on the border.

Sorry, it has to border a real county :pac:

Any way if your coming from any where other than north Donegal wouldnt you nearly be passing by enniskillin anyways? So there might be method in his madness

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey, I was thinking of maybe going north on Sunday morning, and was wondering what time the shops open on a Sunday is it like here where most stuff only opens at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sorry, it has to border a real county :pac:

Any way if your coming from any where other than north Donegal wouldnt you nearly be passing by enniskillin anyways? So there might be method in his madness
    Cheeky pup. :p

Depends on where he's coming from if Enniskillen is an option. Omagh and Dungannon might be handier although Derry would have a lot more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

the-ging wrote: »
    Hey, I was thinking of maybe going north on Sunday morning, and was wondering what time the shops open on a Sunday is it like here where most stuff only opens at 12?
    The information you require precedes your question in this thread, many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well

a euro is now = 91.32p

Amazing fall in the currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Just after checking my credit card balance (scary!!) and all my stuff that i got from my shopping monday to newry are on it.

Now - all transactions were carried out within a half hour of each other and came out 16-12-2008 yet the exchange rates are different.

Whys that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Different shops using different banks. Could be posted to your a/c on different times/days also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is the exchange rate at the time of posting that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

leex wrote: »
    Different shops using different banks.
    It irrelevant which bank the shop uses. You pay your own banks overnight rate as of when the amount is posted to the account.

Which can be up 48 hours after you make the purchase. The rate can often move in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

haven't seen it posted so i'm just letting you all know that the buttercrane shopping centre in newry is open until 11pm this week ! quays is 9pm. i'm going to go up tonight as although we went last week for most of our shopping the conversion rate down south on clothes is so annoying so i'm going up to get a few bits and need to visit argos for more santa stuff :D

so....what??

Couple of the shops didnt get proccessed until this morning??

dlambirl wrote: »
    so....what??

Couple of the shops didnt get proccessed until this morning??
    That is pretty much it.

Some shops are quicker at processing transactions than others. Eg Argos in Enniskillen was posted to my account within 24 hours of the transaction. That would be normal for most of the huge retailers that handle huge amounts of transactions. Some shops may be a bit slower. But it is the rate when posting the transaction that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

1 to 1 gets closer & closer!

Euro surges above 92p sterling
    Wednesday, 17 December 2008 12:46
    The euro has surged to a fresh record high against sterling, hitting 92.02 pence this lunchtime.

The latest record was reached after new figures showed that UK unemployment jumped in November by the biggest monthly amount for more than 17 years.

It also came as minutes from the last Bank of England rate policy meeting showed that policymakers voted by 9-0 to slash UK interest rates earlier this month by a full percentage point to 2%. They had considered an even steeper cut, the minutes added.

AdvertisementThe Bank of England had on December 4 cut its key lending rate from 3% to the lowest level since 1951, amid mounting evidence that Britain faces a deep recession.

The nine members of the BoE's monetary policy committee agreed that a steep rate reduction was needed to prevent annual inflation falling under the central bank's 2% target, according to the minutes.

As the euro and sterling edge closer to parity some British holidaymakers travelling to Europe are reportedly already receiving less than €1 for £1 at bureaux de change.

Sterling has lost more than a quarter of its value against the euro and the dollar over the last year.

Earlier this week the pound crashed through the 90 pence level against the euro for the first time since the single European currency was launched in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

went to the argos uk site looking for any good bargains on toys found this robot dog on sale at £49.99 the exact same model in irish argos stores?? €149.99 it's completely ridiculous!!! will never shop in any of the southern argos stores again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Anyone know the exchange rate they are offering in Argos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Padna

In The Quays, Newry last Sunday the euro rate in Argos was only 86p. I think the interbank rate was between 89p & 90p at the time. The rate varies a lot between the shops. The same day HMV had a rate of 88p (fair enough given the interbank rate) and Sainsburys had a rate of 91.7p (amazing!).

So best to pay with pounds / card in Argos and euro cash in Sainsburys. With a rate like in HMV there wouldn't be much difference either way. To get best value from a shopping trip you need to bring both euros and pounds / card. If you're just going to one shop ring them to check their rate and then decide which is the best way to pay in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The official rate is now = 92.8p

The pound is tumbling.

60p in KFC Enniskillen.
    70p in Burger King.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bond-007 wrote: »
    60p in KFC Enniskillen.
    70p in Burger King.

:eek:

Don't eat sh1te food - problem solved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

as i'm going up to newry tonigt can anyone tell me if they have experience of the carparks after 6 - 7pm ish? i need to go to argos to pick up something for my daughter as price in irish argos is over eur30 dearer! but want to go to the buttercrane shopping centre mainly .... item will be too heavy to lug across to the buttercrane car park tho .... oh the dilemma i have! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maryjane1

could i get some advice please. im going to head north in the morning. i usually head to newry every month or so but with all the reports im hearing i dont know whether to head to enniskillen instead.

ill be coming from dublin and ill have sat nav but is it hard to get to ie whats the chances of me getting lost half way even with sat nav. also are there many shops around the supermarkets for gifts?

im going to leave about half 5 or six so i should beat the rush whichever one i go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

go to Belfast - better parking - castlecourt (fee paying) and easy to get home. Newry is a nightmare. There are smaller towns but you'd need to know where you are going.
    Belfast is a great place and I have noticed a lot friendlier than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

HMV do a great deal on the WII

£195ish for a WII with Sports, Mario Kart (with wheel) and an EA game of your choice.

The store was out of EA games so just let me pick any game below £40 value. So i got Zelda.

All in all, a brill deal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

maryjane1 wrote: »
    could i get some advice please. im going to head north in the morning. i usually head to newry every month or so but with all the reports im hearing i dont know whether to head to enniskillen instead.

ill be coming from dublin and ill have sat nav but is it hard to get to ie whats the chances of me getting lost half way even with sat nav. also are there many shops around the supermarkets for gifts?

im going to leave about half 5 or six so i should beat the rush whichever one i go to
    You won't get lost, just take the N3. Enniskillen is well signposted from Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

maryjane1 wrote: »

How about going to Sprucefield in Lisburn I was there monday morning at 9am and the car park was empty. Sprucefield has 2 shopping parks located there.

My sister was in Newry yesterday and said it was crazy but when we where in Sprucfield on Monday it was a pleasure strolling around. although if you want need to go to game, hmw that type of shop you need to go to the BOW street Mall in Lisburn town.

The Sprucefield parks have M&S, M&S Home, Boots, MFI, JJB Sports, Argos Extra, Sainsburys, ToysrUs, Currys and B&W.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Don't eat sh1te food - problem solved :D
    Just an observation now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

anyone know of a site that lists items in ROI and NoI with their respective prices?
    Or equally RoI versus other European countries....?
    Or just a list of what is significantly cheaper and what is not worth bothering over...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maryjane1

thanks for replies. ive looked at castlecourt and i cant see a supermarket in the centre and it does seem more direct but ive been wanting to see whats in enniskillen for a while now.

• Advertisement

tregan wrote: »
    as i'm going up to newry tonigt can anyone tell me if they have experience of the carparks after 6 - 7pm ish? i need to go to argos to pick up something for my daughter as price in irish argos is over eur30 dearer! but want to go to the buttercrane shopping centre mainly .... item will be too heavy to lug across to the buttercrane car park tho .... oh the dilemma i have! :)

going down myself this evening (i think) carparks will be grand. Both shopping centres are less than a 5 min walk away so whichever one you park in you'l be grand. Park in the parks in the middle between the two.

If i see someone lugging a massive argos bag i'll give you a hand!!!

Advertisement