Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

So anyway....
    Take a look at the exchange rate today and it is only getting worse...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1215/breaking51.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

ah now that's not worse - my uni fees are in sterling so a nice weak pound suits me just fine - my shopping is all in sterling (apart from the bread n milk run) - so long as sterling remains weak I'm a happy man. Bring on the January sales -

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Nearly hit 1.1000 at lunchtime :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

heading up to newry this eveing to see if i can get a few xmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

whens the 1 euro for 1 pound offer comin to azda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pangea wrote: »
    whens the 1 euro for 1 pound offer comin to azda?
    When the pound collapses completely, i.e. when the € is worth 103p

Bond-007 wrote: »
    When the pound collapses completely, i.e. when the € is worth 103p

noh azda are having for one day a special offer when they make 1 pound = 1 euro, nobody knows what day it is ,because they dont want it to be too crowded ,all i know is that it will be one day in xmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The O2 shop in Strabane has stopped accepting Euro as of last Friday. :eek:

Boo hiss to them.

Why would they do that?

Why would they do that?
    Good marketing idea i guess ,to attract more customers , to make customers come there everyday to shop until the offer comes up. :pac: :confused:

• Advertisement

Why would they do that?
    sorry thought u wer refering to my statment about azdas pound for a euro offer

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

noh azda are having for one day a special offer when they make 1 pound = 1 euro, nobody knows what day it is ,because they dont want it to be too crowded ,all i know is that it will be one day in xmas week.

untrue

Dooish wrote: »
    untrue
    Thats what I heard ,maybe it is untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Has anyone been to Derry, was thinking about going up this Wednesday (overnight) / Thursday for the Christmas food shopping. My thinking is that its far enough from the border to offer better bargains than Newry (could be completely wrong with that assumption.)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Went up to Lisburn yesterday, visited the 2 shopping parks at Sprucefield and then into the Bow Street Street mall to pick up some xbox games which where very good value save around €60 on 3 games alone. Also picked up shoes for the kids in Barrats which was having a warehouse closing down sale.

Also went to boots in Sprucefield and saved a huge amount on baby wipes, nappies and baby milk. M&S was ok but didn't really buy much there.

Went to Argos extra and got a Little Tikes kitchen for £48.98 (€55.65) which is listed at €99.99 in Argos republic as well as some other toys and bed linen.

The it was onto Sainsbury's filled 2 trolleys for 2 households and saved a good amount while getting some things as well.

Example would be 2 Nintendo Ds games at £10 each, Hellboy 2(2-Disc special editions) for £11. Oh and Crunchy nut 500g cornflakes are £1.92

My wife also got the latest Take That Cd in HMV for £8.

Also Xbox Live 2100 points cards are only £17.50 in Game in the North compared at €29 here.

The shops in Lisburn where not that busy yesterday and Argos only had a waiting time of around 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Derry, was thinking about going up this Wednesday (overnight) / Thursday for the Christmas food shopping. My thinking is that its far enough from the border to offer better bargains than Newry (could be completely wrong with that assumption.)
    Eh, Derry is on the border.

As i posted earlier - i headed to Newry yesterday evening. Journey (albeit not that long cos i'm from South Monaghan) was grand and no traffic at all.

Parking was grand, the carpark in the middle of the Buttercrane and Quays was almost empty. Both shopping centres were quiet, buttercrane especially.

Shops werent mental busy, some doing £=€ (Jack and Jones, Jewellers, A-Wear among others) with Dunnes Stores giving 92p = €1.

Only took a nosey into Sainsburys (didnt wanna shop) but there were only 1 trolly at tills and not all tills were open.

However, i'd imagine that it will get busier as the week goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Went up to Banbridge last Saturday morning, left north Kildare at 8 am expecting delays after hearing horror stories! Didnt hit any traffic and was parked at Banbridge outlet mall at 10 to 10. Got a space right beside the entrance and we at first thought the place was closed it was that quiet!!!!!

Stayed there till about 2 pm shopping and got some great deals on designer clothes that would have cost a fortune down here! Bench was very good and my girlfriend got loads of stuff in the make up shop there. Few other good shops as well.

Although the place had filled up a bit it was no where near as busy as Liffey Valley or Blanch! (stopped in blanch on the way home for a drive-thru and it was packed)

Found some off licence near the border on the way home as well and got 12 cans of guinness and 15 bottles of miller for £20!!!!!:D

Well worth the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

What's dunnes like up there?

I have a voucher for dunnes from work. could i use it up north?

LeahBaby wrote: »
    What's dunnes like up there?

I have a voucher for dunnes from work. could i use it up north?

I'm almost positive that you cant. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

dlambirl wrote: »
    Darn it!!

Cheap and free booze would of been even better!

I know - sickner isnt it.

I have a voucher for down south too but do most of my shopping in the north so its f*ck all use to me really!!

Alot of people will get stung this christmas getting vouchers in the north for the big name shops and trying to use them down south which cant be done either i dont think

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

anyone know the exchange rate in asda in enniskillen this week? going tomorrow morning

The rate changes daily. Phone them and ask. 048 66343840

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I half-heard an item on the RTE lunchtime news about ASDA Enniskillen

- now the 6th busiest store globally in the WalMart group of compaines

- in the second hour of trading on Sunday, they clocked £61000 through the tills - over £1000 a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

dlambirl wrote: »

if dunnes eniskillen is anything to go by then you're better off using
    your voucher down south.
    They're not competing with asda and tesco at all.
    The prices arent much better that here.
    Theres a very small beer section and no offers there.
    Dunnes was empty when i was there two weeks ago.
    A few people in tesco and asda was packed...no surprise there
    Sell your vouchers for a little less money and use it in asda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

HMV do some class deals up there.

Was in the one in Richmond in Derry.

I got a WII with Sports, Mario Kart(with wheel) and Zelda for £195

Check them out. Some other brill deals there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

sassa wrote: »
    anyone know the exchange rate in asda in enniskillen this week? going tomorrow morning

87p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

87p

Went to Tesco for a change today as Asda shelves were quite empty past few weeks and offers are not as good as a few weeks ago. There were plenty of BOGOF offers. Rate in Tesco was 86.

• Advertisement

untrue
    Yes I heard that this is indeed true :p
    Be on the look out people.

Advertisement