Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detox: Dre Day

Options
  • 06-10-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Word is this might finally be released this Dec.

See here http://www.rapbasement.com/dr.-dre/092408-bishop-lamont-says-dr.-dre-detox-single-in-november-and-the-album-in-december.html

But don't hold your breath. Dec or not is anyone else worried that it's just got too much hype to live up to and it's not gonna be able to live up to the high expectations? I don't want to sound like I'm doubting Dre, I want this album to be a classic as much as he does just worried people might have too high expectations?

When will Dre release his 3rd album 'Detox'? 27 votes

Jan-Mar 2010
    0%
    April-June 2010
    11%
    crowdcontrolrobby^5therokerroar 3 votes
    Second half of 2010
    11%
    techno-allahPrettyBoyMk ultra 3 votes
    22%
    weemcdjimmayTiGeR KiNgSwinston821mcampo1Cypher_sounds 6 votes
    14%
    evil_seedhorsebox09lcrcboyMoyVilla9 4 votes
    So far in the future we'll all have alzheimers & forget who Dre is!
    11%
    BLITZ_MolloyThE_IVIAcIVIAIVDrunkanouvit. 3 votes
    At this rate it will be a posthumous release!
    29%
    Jay RuSea DevilsRjd2Dancortomred1Keyser Söze54krocKavo_368 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He still has two classics under his belt, it'd be near possible to beat them. I can't wait for it to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm not sure this will live up to the hype. If he manages to even make it sound 50% as good as 2001 it could definitely be one the better rap albums of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Waaayyyyy too much hype and speculation, but considering the sheer volume of stuff done for this record and then re-shuffled, added and removed there is potentially a few good albums worth of material that will be unreleased or dropped on mixtapes.

Dre could still throw out his best album to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

I hear where your coming from! The industry, fans and music critics really have been waiting years for this album to drop and it will obviously get massive attention but il keep my faith in the good doc. and have no doubts that the album will be an all time classic.A release date before the end of the year would be pretty sweet, we've all waited long enough! As long as its on par with 2001 il be happy!Expectations are high and so they should be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

hopefully the album will drop before the end of the year, i cant really see him dropping it in february or march 09, december is the perfect time...hopefully it will be released! i was afraid after dre's son died last month that it would affect the album, you just never know with dre!

i know people are worried that it wont live up to the hype but this is a dr.dre solo album - it will live up to the hype. i cant to see how it sells too, i gaurentee that if kanye, 50, em and dre all dropped albums on the same week, dre would do the best numbers out of everyone. i think that dre will easily go platinum in the first week. guests include nas, jay, lil wayne, em, 50, snoop and cube - i cant wait :p

detox will be the last real hip hop album ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

tdc wrote: »

Why do you say that???
    I wouldn't hold my breath for detox. Its been delayed countless times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

At this rate it will be a posthumous release!

sorry to quote u in 2 threads but silly statements like that warrant it. are u for ****ing real or what. i have no doubt that Detox will be a sick album but theres a **** load more top artists out there that will prob make better albums in years to come. Dre's prob one of the dopest producers out there but when it comes to rhyming........ lets just say theres a reason he use's ghost writers. if u want to know what a dope producer that can more than handle his own check out Black Milk!!!!!!!!!! u can download his latest mixtape here

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

If it drops more then likely could be album of the year, all the buzz and hype and such a fan following without hearing a single track from the album, sales will be massive.

Jay Ru wrote: »
    sorry to quote u in 2 threads but silly statements like that warrant it. are u for ****ing real or what. i have no doubt that Detox will be a sick album but theres a **** load more top artists out there that will prob make better albums in years to come. Dre's prob one of the dopest producers out there but when it comes to rhyming........ lets just say theres a reason he use's ghost writers. if u want to know what a dope producer that can more than handle his own check out Black Milk!!!!!!!!!! u can download his latest mixtape here

ahhhh ok let me explain my comment, didnt think it would be taken so literally.

im big into hip hop from the early 90's and thats what i listen to most of the time and i just think that the new generation of rap artists are taking it in a very different direction.

i was just thinking that the way hip hop is going is nowhere near what the original style was like. you just have to listen to the likes of kanye's love lockdown and flo ridas elevator and think "how would this be received if it was released in 1995?"

All i meant was that Detox will be like a breath of fresh air - one that we will be unlikely to see again after it is released.

Dont get me wrong, I love what some artists are doing - T.I., Game, Jay, Em, Fabolous, Nas, Wayne among others.

Sorry for the comment, I can see where you're coming from, I didn't mean for it to be taken so seriously. Again, sorry :)

The-Game wrote: »
    If it drops more then likely could be album of the year, all the buzz and hype and such a fan following without hearing a single track from the album, sales will be massive.

If it drops it will be album of the year without a doubt, as of now its an unreleased classic. I'm not even worried, it will live up to the hype.

oh and it will sell A LOT :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

More rumours but supposedly the Doc has over 400 songs for Detox!! How can he not have a classic!!?? :p And workin with Mr. Dogg ah just like the ol days!!

http://www.rapbasement.com/rap/dj-quik-says-dr-dre-has-400-songs-for-detox.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jimmay wrote: »
    More rumours but supposedly the Doc has over 400 songs for Detox!! How can he not have a classic!!?? :p And workin with Mr. Dogg ah just like the ol days!!

http://www.rapbasement.com/rap/dj-quik-says-dr-dre-has-400-songs-for-detox.html

398 of these might be sh*t, that could make it not a classic.

As for talk of "unreleased classic", absolute bullsh*t. It's just like saying my next album is an unreleased classic, nobody has heard anything at all from it (because it doesnt exist).

Look at other albums from high profile artists that where supposed to be the next classic album, Biggie's 2nd album...has some great stuff on it but some weak songs on it too. So it was not a "classic".

Snoops albums since Doggystyle, every next one is going to be the 'old snoop'. Nas since Illmatic, Wu-Tang....the list goes on.

I hope that Detox will be a classic, but without hearing anything at all we plain just dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

ahhhh ok let me explain my comment, didnt think it would be taken so literally.

im big into hip hop from the early 90's and thats what i listen to most of the time and i just think that the new generation of rap artists are taking it in a very different direction.

i was just thinking that the way hip hop is going is nowhere near what the original style was like. you just have to listen to the likes of kanye's love lockdown and flo ridas elevator and think "how would this be received if it was released in 1995?"

All i meant was that Detox will be like a breath of fresh air - one that we will be unlikely to see again after it is released.

Dont get me wrong, I love what some artists are doing - T.I., Game, Jay, Em, Fabolous, Nas, Wayne among others.

Sorry for the comment, I can see where you're coming from, I didn't mean for it to be taken so seriously. Again, sorry :)

Love Lockdown is not rap, he doesnt rap in the song he sings with the use of autotune... And also if dre releases detox at the end of the year, there will be alot of competition with the rumors eminems album is gonna drop around that time and also 50 cent and kanye are dropping there albums around then too looks like a good nov-dec for music

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    398 of these might be sh*t, that could make it not a classic.

As for talk of "unreleased classic", absolute bullsh*t. It's just like saying my next album is an unreleased classic, nobody has heard anything at all from it (because it doesnt exist).

This is a Dr. Dre solo album, there's a better chance that 2 of the songs are trash and the other 398 are brilliant.

Those that have heard Detox say that it is something...

Im getting so tired of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

apparently he's gonna finish the album in january. but its beyond a joke at this stage. he says over 300 songs have been recorded so why not release a mixtape or something cos thats a few hundred songs that aren't even gonna be on detox. cmon dre at least give us something while you contnue to take the piss!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Even after your explanation its still a silly comment,i have been into hip hop since the mid 80s and to this day there are umpteen artists out there that still give me hope in hip hop,not many people know about them and you have to dig to find them,i'd coin the phrase "underground" but thats been well coined,i like my hip hop this way its the way it was before it went ballistic and lost so much of what the music was about.

I've no doubt that there will be loads more real hip hop albums,from artists not even born yet.the only thing is the will go unnoticed by the "industry" and left for real fans to savour - suits me fine.

There is no way Dre's album will "drop" this side of the summer,as when he does decide to "drop" there is a whole media circus and press machine that has to whirled into action (again more of whats wrong) so you will be hearing about it for months before hand from places you wouldn't normally go for your hip hop news i.e some flute on 2fm,spin or MTV or whatever will be talking about the hot new single from the dre album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Michael Jackson had like 300 songs produced for his last album, and it still only had 2 or 3 half decent tracks on it.

As far as I'm concerned Dre has 1 and 1/2 good albums. The 2nd half of 2001 was mostly rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Michael Jackson had like 300 songs produced for his last album, and it still only had 2 or 3 half decent tracks on it.

As far as I'm concerned Dre has 1 and 1/2 good albums. The 2nd half of 2001 was mostly rubbish.

You have got to be taking the piss....The Message, Housewife, Bitch N**ga to name a few on the second half of 2001 and you call them rubbish??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hopefully this lives up to the hype!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

DarkJager wrote: »
    You have got to be taking the piss....The Message, Housewife, Bitch N**ga to name a few on the second half of 2001 and you call them rubbish??
    Bitch nigga is possibly one of the worst songs I have ever heard. The message is good but I have to agree with BLITZ_Molloy, the 2nd half of the album was not as good as the start. it wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. Dre's album should be done by february.
    Some clowns are releasing their own version of detox but they are not the real deal so if you see any, don't bother until you know its def out. same goes for new 50cent album. loads of copies flying around but they are not real at all. just crap.

Have you heard this tune from 50 though? its pretty cool. its called so serious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5G1wiV10w8

Its a bit annoyin with all the talkin at the end and start but the beat is brilliant.

I have had that song on my mp3 player for over a year! I love 50 but I listen to his mixtape stuff WAY WAY WAY more than his commercial albums. I just prefer it.

From thisis50.com

It may just be a few seconds of music, but Dr. Dre fans will remember the new Dr. Pepper ad as the spot where they heard the first officially released beats from the much-delayed "Detox." The L.A.-based hip-hop producer appears in the last installment of an ad campaign entitled "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor," and teases music from the long-awaited album, currently slated for a late 2009 release on Aftermath/Interscope.

sohh.com also have a bit about it here

Saw a recent interview with Dre here he says early next year.

I don't think he sounds too convincing so I'm hedging on a release late next year. Pure guess but can't see it out any sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I haven't really been feeling Dre's beats in the last few years. He either needs to update his style, or go back to his early 90's G Funk style. At the moment he just seems stuck in some sort of late 90's timewarp that isn't old enough to be retro cool, it just sounds dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

have to agree with previous comments on 2001, to be honest I felt its more than 50% filler. It does have some bangers, but I have a total of 7 tracks from the album on my mp3 player.

To be honest I won't rush to buy this, will prob pick it up a while after release on the cheap. Don't see it as being a classic at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I haven't really been feeling Dre's beats in the last few years. He either needs to update his style, or go back to his early 90's G Funk style. At the moment he just seems stuck in some sort of late 90's timewarp that isn't old enough to be retro cool, it just sounds dated.

I agree, Dre needs to dump these piano/handclapping beats he's being using over the last few years, its just not working and alot of the beats sound the same.

If Detox is full of those kind beats its going to be a huge flop, I think thats why he hasn't released it yet, or probably wont release it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Listening to Relapse - Refill at the moment and Dres production is top notch on it, his best production in years!
    These are just throwaway beats aswell, if Detox is coming out im looking forward to it

His flow on ''hell breaks loose'' is great aswell, I never heard Dre spit like that before!

• Advertisement

Looks like I was wrong voting for second half of 2010 :(

Very disappointing stuff, Dre says here Detox a year or so away.

I guess because he's such a perfectionist he feels he can't put out something that he's happy with or else he's just unable to produce anything near to the quality he did before. It happens with everyone from artists such as Coolio (who I believe is doing a song with that muppet Page 3 girl from Celebrity big brother) to athletes who just can't perform like they used to.

I mean in a way you can understand like ok retire on top with unbelieveable respect and bow out gracefully but he keeps delaying and sh!t it's like even if it's a whopper when it comes out now I feel I still might be like meh yeah but it took forever. I dunno, guess I'm just a bit annoyed at waiting and that he keeps changing his mind.

Advertisement