Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in History

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I am a final year degree student and i would like to do a masters in history or a politics related course. I am interested in Irish and US politics and history. i no that UCC and university of limerick both do history and politics masters and i was just wondering does anyone no if they are any good? also if anyone has any recommendations of good history or politics masters programmes i would really appreciate it. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I am a final year degree student and i would like to do a masters in history or a politics related course. I am interested in Irish and US politics and history. i no that UCC and university of limerick both do history and politics masters and i was just wondering does anyone no if they are any good? also if anyone has any recommendations of good history or politics masters programmes i would really appreciate it. thanks

I thought about the UCC courses (both politics and history). I was put off the former by the Open Day (staff didn't seem to know anything about anything....) and the latter by the size of the research proposal I needed for a taught course. :eek:

I don't know much about the reputations; it's no good asking UCC about their graduate destinations as they don't seem to know (tried on the Open Day and failed).

I briefly considered UL for politics but decided against it because their program was very new and I got an offer from somewhere else that was my first choice. Both well respected unis though, and the UL campus is fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I did my BA in NUIM and always heard very positive feedback from MA and MLitt students in the history department there. There are some very good lecturers there, and a lot of choice afaik. Also they've been moving up the ranks lately, whether that influences your decision or not I don't know. I think it would be worth looking into anyways, overall its a pretty good college and I found all my history lecturers to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

I did my BA in NUIM and always heard very positive feedback from MA and MLitt students in the history department there. There are some very good lecturers there, and a lot of choice afaik. Also they've been moving up the ranks lately, whether that influences your decision or not I don't know.

Thats strange because I've heard nothing but bad reports from MLitt/PhD students in Maynooth. If you consider the quality of the library in Maynooth, you will be grateful for its proximity to Dublin and its universities as well as other resources (the RIA, the National Library etc). I found the administration and support in the department to be lacking. Admittedly, funding opportunities are good but Maynooth does not seem to do to well in the IRCHSS applications. I know several people who have regretted doing postgraduate work in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes the library isn't good, but if you are doing an Mlitt or Phd you will want to be in the national library or TCD library anyways, it just makes sense, so being in Maynooth is good there. Admin may suck, but I've never heard of a department where people were happy with it either. Tbh I didn't do a postgrad there so don't have personal experience, but think it is worth looking at, and I know that Maynooth has been aggressively growing in many ways lately, and has been rewarded with jumps in the ST league and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alices_wonder

stay away from UCD History dept at the moment they seem to be a disaster. They are attractive in terms of choice but last year was a bit of a joke and the amount of their PHDs that didnt get funding from IRCCHS was insane considering the numbers that applied. The lecturers and supervisers in UCD are your best friends until you screw up or they do and then you're dropped like a hot potato. It happened to a few of my friends and they were pretty hurt by it.
    Saying that I dont know if TCD is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

But the number of IRCHSS scholarships are tiny. There's always going to be ahuge number of people who don't get them. I thought UCD history PhDs did pretty well in getting scholarships, both IRCHSS and Government of Ireland in comparison to other schools in other colleges?

Advertisement