Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St. Saviours - The Movie

• 25-09-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Mate of mine was in the flix last week he told me there was a trailer about a movie for Saviours Boxing Club. Then I got a mail to our club address about the opening.

Looks very good, cant wait to see it.

Here is the mail:

I’m getting in touch with you regarding an Irish film we're releasing in cinemas on 3rd October - SAVIOURS - directed by Ross Whitaker and Liam Nolan.

It will play in Cineworld Parnell Street, Vue Liffey Valley, UCI Tallaght and Lighthouse Smithfield and I thought it may be of interest to you as one of the leads is Darren Sutherland who won an Olympic bronze medal at Beijing, boxing for Ireland this summer.

We've had a fantastic response to the film so far and it'd be great if you could make pass on information about the film to anyone you feel may be interested

Here is the trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kon_pNs5VXg

Please see the synopsis of the film below:

3 October SAVIOURS (Eclipse Pictures/Street Films)
    Directed by: Ross Whitaker and Liam Nolan
    Produced by: Ross Whitaker and Liam Nolan
    Cast: Abdul Hussein, Darren Sutherland, Dean Murphy, John McCormack
    Cert: PG (ROI)

A rough and tumble, observational story centring on the lives of three young men who box at St. Saviours Olympic Boxing Academy in inner-city Dublin. The film interweaves the roller-coaster fortunes of the three boxers over an 18-month period as they strive to make the most of their lives, both inside and outside of the ring.

The film follows Abdul, an asylum seeker from Ghana, whose toughest fight lies outside the ring as he battles to stay in Ireland. Dean, a local lad from the flats fights to overcome injury in order to fulfil his goal of winning an Olympic gold. And Darren, a young man of Irish-Caribbean parentage and the club’s best talent, struggles desperately to choose between boxing and his university studies.

The boxers are coaxed and cajoled by the club’s colourful wise cracking coaches, John and Jimmy. Through the eyes of the coaches, we see that St. Saviours is not only a boxing club; it is a place to belong and feel part of a family.

The camera remains side-by-side with the boxers and their coaches in the dressing rooms, in the ring, in their homes and on the streets, reflecting the sense of urgency and expectation in these young men’s lives.
    * Darren Sutherland won bronze for Ireland at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

If you need further info, please don't hesitate to contact me

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
    Ciara Kennedy

Eclipse Pictures, 25 Hatch Pl., Dublin 2
    t: +353 (0)1 6340111 f: +353 (0)1 6340125
    www.eclipsepictures.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I saw the trailer last night in Cineworld and the film looks very, very interesting. I will definitely be checking it out when it is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

I watched this last week, I wont give anything away but its very enjoyable and gives a good behind the scenes look at life from both the boxer & the coaches viewpoint. The coaches featured are real charachters and their passion for the sport and the kids SHINES through, nothing too dramatic but interesting and enjoyable all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tornando Forres

Seems a bit cliched, to say the least.

Dublin is not LA, NYC or the middle of Siberia.

It never has been, and never will be.

The Refugee guy basically saying that he is fighting for his life.....I know Hollywood spin doctors that couldn't have come up with that.

Looks like more people cashing in on the sport.

Pity.

Still there are plenty of people who will actually fall for it so more power to the producers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cinereel

Saw Saviours last night. good film. my girlfriend loved it! nice to see something so real about Ireland in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Would love to see this being brought around nationwide. Even for just one showing in each cinema. Trailer looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

very good story, John McCormack is a very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gib Srae

Let me ask you something, what the feck could Darren Sutherland possibly get up to in College??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I saw this movie for the first time last night.

Excellent documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭contentking

Anyone know where to buy a dvd copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Anyone know where to buy a dvd copy?

got mine in xtravision on a 4 for €20 job...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Enjoyed the programme a lot.

Anyone know what happened to the black boxer, can't recall his name?

Did he get to stay in Ireland. He came across really well, very likable fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭contentking

whaaames wrote: »
    got mine in xtravision on a 4 for €20 job...

Bingo, just got it there, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

walshb wrote: »
    Enjoyed the programme a lot.

Anyone know what happened to the black boxer, can't recall his name?

Did he get to stay in Ireland. He came across really well, very likable fellow.

yeah enjoyed the doc and would also like to know what the the ghanian fella abdul hussain, googled him and no joy on his current status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

bamboozler wrote: »
    yeah enjoyed the doc and would also like to know what the the ghanian fella abdul hussain, googled him and no joy on his current status?

I'm dragging up an old thread here but I wonder does anybody know anything about this young man who was featured in the documentary? I would be interested in knowing if he was allowed to stay in Ireland or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No harm in that Still relevant though, great film. Even though it was terrible that happened Sutherland, and the other two lads have since given up boxing.

I can’t think of as a good as a sports documentary made since, making ‘Finding Charlton’ comes close IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Shame how Deano Murphy turned out, a great natural talent that ended up on the streets practically.

Advertisement