Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal in Maynooth

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

hey, just started renting in maynooth. Just wondering what the canal is like, where the best spots would be and what im likle to catch. Also what would it be like for catching a few pike in the winter. Ive never fished a canal before, im used to fishing the river suck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

very poor now tbh... There are a few good places left but not much.
    Likely to catch.. small roach, perch etc... There are Tench and Eels there too.

As for pike... about 20 FNs spin through it everyday... what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

shblob wrote: »
    As for pike... about 20 FNs spin through it everyday... what do you think?

something really needs to be done to educate these people. Irish people were no angels here but the FN's are off the scale.
    I was on a boat recently. Bunch of irish and 2 lituanians. Sound lads (in general) now however, they had a bunch of fish ,pollock etc and a wrasse. Now I caught wrasse during the day, beautiful fish and put them back since you cant eat them and I dont have a problem with keeping a bunch of mackeral or pollock for the freezer but throw back what you cant eat or wont get around to eating. I asked one of them why they had killed the wrasse. His reply was "to show my friends". Now he had a camera, and pictures, was that not enough. I said well we put back fish also. The idea seemed lost on him. They set up there own buckets for fish on the boat and took home twice what the irish lads were going too. AS I said to talk to they were sound but they were also F8cking greedy feckers.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I was fishing up in Virginia (Lough Ramor) last weekend. Caugh a few small but respectable Perch which were duly returned to the lake after being caught. There were around a dozen FN's to took everything they caught and returned nothing. This sort of carry on is going to ruin our waterways and if some properly enforced bye-laws aren't implemented soon then we're gonna have nothing left. :(

I don't mind people taking fish within the legal limit, but they can take more than 1 pike and 4 coarse fish ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i know exactly what you mean. travellers are exactly the same on the suck, but luckly enough, they are terrible anglers and just manage the odd jack pike. well with the economy the way it is, a lot of the FNs are on the way to london for the olympic building work, but it will take a long time for the stocks to return to normal without restocking.

• Advertisement

yep so true.

I also believe a fishing license should be implemented as in Germany,

All I can say is it actually WORKS.

This would stop the mishandling and damage of fish. Especially pike, they need to be handled with great care, especially at times of spawning.

It should be illegal for LIDL and ALDI to sell fishing gear.***

I know there is no chance of the above actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

well with the economy the way it is, a lot of the FNs are on the way to london for the olympic building work, .

that maybe true but it is no way to protect an important resource like our waterways
    i.e. hope the FN feck off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

hey, just started renting in maynooth. Just wondering what the canal is like,

It's a big long stretch of water about 15' wide that runs through the town!

Sorry mate....couldn't resist it!:D:D

On a more sreious note, have the FN's given up 'cos I see lots of ducks have returned to the canal. They were cleaned out too:mad:

It's a big long stretch of water about 15' wide that runs through the town!

Sorry mate....couldn't resist it!:D:D

On a more sreious note, have the FN's given up 'cos I see lots of ducks have returned to the canal. They were cleaned out too:mad:

bastard!:D

ffs ducks as well??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Ah give the old "FNs" a break. And remembr if they leave they'll take all the pretty FNettes with them too! And Frank if you don't have a picture posted of a nice pike from the canal within a month Ill be disapointed!

• Advertisement

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Ah give the old "FNs" a break. And remembr if they leave they'll take all the pretty FNettes with them too! And Frank if you don't have a picture posted of a nice pike from the canal within a month Ill be disapointed!

:o pressure!!

Tick Tock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 giger

Hi,

Well first of all I'm a "FN" myself and fishing for about 25 years.
    I'm german and I did my fishing license and all so I guess I'm educated enough when it comes to fishing and handling and taking care of fish and stuff like that.

Not all "FN's" are greedy fish-killers to get it straight here...

I saw "irish" lads throwing their plastic bait bags right into the sea or littering their empty cans into the sea I could go on about fishing line and hooks being left on spots aso...

Also saw irish lads taking home every mackerel they've caught in Dun Laoghaire last year on top of that they didn't even kill the fish properly, they just threw them into a plastic bag leaving them to die...

All this has nothing to do with being a foreigner or not.
    Being of a certain nationality doesn't say anything about a person as a fisherman...

Of course it's a huge difference if 2 people fish a pond or 20 but in general it doesn't say anything about the education of the people fishing there.

All people who intend to go fishing should be forced to get a course and a license first no matter what nationality...

Guess I will get some flaming now but had to say that.

cheers
    giger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think the problem with many FNs is that they're used to fishing in huge inland lakes and large european river systems with large and sustainable stocks of coarse fish.
    They come here and catch the same fish from small waterways like the canal and kill them to eat.
    The difference is the irish waterways simply cant take the pressure and breeding stocks are affected.
    I fished the canal 4 times last summer and caught three tiny perch,20 years ago i'd have caught hundreds.
    The prescence of nothing but small fish led me to beleive that it had been netted and the only fish to survive were small enough to slip through the mesh.
    I think the problem of killing all fish needs to be adressed through education,the angling dynamic here is differnet from on the continnet.
    The netting issue can only be dealt with with huge fines and confiscation of all equipment.
    As for irish anglers,some of them are indeed messy bastards,its common to see people throwing cans into the sea and leaving a mess behind them..what can we do?Unless fishing spots are policed by litter wardens or something its always going to happen albeit by a minority of people.

Hi Degsy,

Thanks for your answer which I think hits exactly the point.

Yeah I think you are right that the rivers and some lakes on the continent do have a large and sustainable stock of fish "if not polluted".

I have been a warden and had to mind a group of youngsters in our club and I think the whole education thing would work out but people need to have a mutual understanding and the will to participate unless a fine system is incorporated.

The problem I see here is that most of the rivers and lough's are free for everyone to fish them.

This drags people to the sport who don't have any idea what they are doing and basically abusing nature.

I am not sure if this is only an issue with FN's.
    Everybody who pierce a worm to give it a bath should be educated first.

In germany the whole course and exame stuff is not only for people to learn it is also to find out if you are willing to handle every aspect of sports fishery with care.

Character and education are 2 things that have to work together in that case.

I also think that the pressure that many lakes and rivers are put in has to do with fish and other wildlife to disappear which is very unfortunate.

The funny thing is that in germany for example you will get a huge fine if you do catch and release...
    Don't know about other continental countries tho.

I'm myself never take any fish home unless there is no chance for it to survive due to deep hooking for example.

As a carp fisher I am used to catch and release and I think it's a very important thing to do.

The other day when I was walking along the canal I saw this sign:
    "If you don't practice catch and release there will be no fish to come back for one day"

This is exactly the attitude that people have to be trained with I think.

I know I'm talking about the german fisheries again but the club that I used to be member of refreshed the fish stock every year so there was not much going on with breeding and stuff.

I think some FN's might not understand the difference probably which is indeed sad.
    Some of them might not even be passionate sports anglers.

I am pissed off about "pan anglers" as well and it goes that far that I feel very uneasy in their presence.

Just think that a line needs to be drawn between Anglers and FN's cause I have to count myself as a FN but not as a "pan angler".

Maybe in this case it would be nice if irish and foreign anglers who are serious about their hobby would work together to figure those things out and educate and control people.

When I was a member of the club mentioned above we had to take part in "cleaning the lake" days which I think is a very good thing to do.

We also had meetings and stuff to keep people educated.

As for example the gentleman who just killed the mackerels by throwing them in a plastic bag to let them die.
    I would say he never even thought about the fact that they are living creatures and deserve to be handled with care.

Same with the people who leave fishing line, hooks and plastic bags all over the place. They probably never saw a swan suffering from a swallowed hook or choking to death from a fishing line around the neck.

This surely has nothing to do with nationalities it has more to do with a lack in respect for nature.

I enjoy going fishing but I hope that I will not fall victim of somebody with prejudices against foreign anglers ;)

It's a passion and a sport we need to preserve as anglers not as members of different ethnical groups.

Hope I will meet some of youse out there for a nice chat and being a good example for a serious FN fisherman :)

I think there should be a licenese system for all forms of fishing and as for litter, don't get me started. I got an earful from a Dalkey resident about the litter clearly left behind "anglers". If anything I end up cleaning up other peples rubbish even when it STINKS. Eventually some marks will be illegal to fish!

Exactly...
    A license system would keep some of those people away from fishing.

When I look at spots like Balscadden in Howth I just think it's disgraceful...

There should be more people who care about waste and nature in general.

I've been fishing Lough Ramor last year and got an ear full from an angry resident living nearby even tho I would never leave ANY litter behind me.

Just read about a license they were planning to put in place for sea fishing and loads of people were moaning about the "Rip Off".

At least these people would end up playing tennis or such...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fooddestroyer

hey, just started renting in maynooth. Just wondering what the canal is like, where the best spots would be and what im likle to catch. Also what would it be like for catching a few pike in the winter. Ive never fished a canal before, im used to fishing the river suck!

I've just moved to Maynooth too.

Is the Canal a waste of time for catching fish then?

Do you need a license?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No you don't need a license.
    Yes there are fish to be caught.
    The activities of fish removing fisherpeople have reduced stocks to the point where ability and skill will still catch good fish but if you just drop in and expect them to hang themselves on your hook, it won't happen very often.

Think reconnaisance, pre-baiting, and concealment. :D

I've just moved to Maynooth too.

Is the Canal a waste of time for catching fish then?

Do you need a license?

hey mate, the fishing in maynooth isnt fantastic to be honnest, try kilcock. Where the 2 canoe polo pitches are is ok, again not mind blowing but you should get a few fish. I hear after a canoe polo match or training session it is supposed to be very good, as they stir up the bottom.

If you have a car, try mullingar;)
    lots of small lakes, worth the time journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, the river Liffey is just north of Maynooth, but I don't know what it's like there, for fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fooddestroyer

Brilliant, thanks everyone, good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

recently nets were found at Crover on Lough Sheelin they were set by our eastern eurpoean mates, now the point is that we have/had enough poachers in ireland before we imported these lemmons into the country, but it doesnt matter where they are from, i dont care its a fact that they have an eastern eurpean culture of killing everything that moves, are not educated towards conservation, but lots of irish are not too. look at the pictures of dead trout and salmon in all the irish angling press. irrespective of where people are from until all the morons who continue to kill fish and ignore catch and release cop on to themselves, then stocks of all fish will continue dwindle making angiling unattracive to younger people, already this is happening. it is a matter of education and enforcement and we have neither.
    whats the difference between an irish and polish poacher????

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Here mate your not a foreigner your a nazi, by forigner we mean eastern european , irish ppl should not need a licence to fish in there own waters, angla mercal is not the president of ireland either

WTF?

Zombie thread resurrected by an illiterate moron!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

ultimate zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement