Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Next years Europa League Final:
    "Due to UEFA rules against corporate sponsorship outside the federation, for the final the stadium will be referred to as the "Dublin Arena"

ygyuu.jpg
    v4x7af.jpg

seriously, where did you get this, i understand the UEFA rule of not allowing to use the corporate name, but dublin arena, thats even worse than aviva, its called lansdowne road patanni, even the emmerates (spelling) gets called by the road it was built on, and there wasn't even a stadium there orriginaly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

irish-stew wrote: »
    seriously, where did you get this, i understand the UEFA rule of not allowing to use the corporate name, but dublin arena, thats even worse than aviva, its called lansdowne road patanni, even the emmerates (spelling) gets called by the road it was built on, and there wasn't even a stadium there orriginaly

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=irl/news/newsid=1488379.html

Bluetonic wrote: »

friggin UEFA, if someone asked me for directions to dublin arena, first place i would think would be somewhere like the RDS or a concert arena, get real UEFA, place was built in place of what was called lansdowne road, adjacent to a street of the same name, why make things more difficult or confuseing

friggin UEFA, if someone asked me for directions to dublin arena, first place i would think would be somewhere like the RDS or a concert arena, get real UEFA, place was built in place of what was called lansdowne road, adjacent to a street of the same name, why make things more difficult or confuseing

surly someone within stadium managment can have an influence here or are they trying to forget the history of the place altogether

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

However on their list of fixtures for the 2010/2011 UEFA competitions, the final is listed at being at Lansdowne Road, Dublin. I would say that in time wiser heads will prevail in this. It makes no sense to make up a name for one match when there is already an alternative available.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/newsid=1478141.html

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to pull the planning piles on this for some time. But at the time of the planning application I was closely involved with it and know that the main concern of the residents was not the physical size of the stadium but the number of people in and out. Challenge me again about this and I may be moved to spend some time finding the relavent documents. Better still, why doesn't someone else with more time on their hands find them.
    Sorry to go back to this after two weeks but can we see the planning files which document the discussions about the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Sorry to go back to this after two weeks but can we see the planning files which document the discussions about the capacity.

Planned Lansdowne stadium 'unlikely' unless seating is cut

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2003/1229/1072649473290.html

I wonder would this article shed any light on the issue. Does anyone have a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Poster King maybe you should complain to Mr. John (Gormless) Gormley and give him some reason to question DCC's Plannning Dept maybe he will sack the hole bloody lot of them for granting permission on objection by ABP for THE NEW LANSDOWNE ROAD/AVIVA STADIUM that will give us all yet another belly laugh at this guys pathetic political pedigree roll on the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Setanta_og, I'm not sure what you point is. I was very much in favour of the stadium remaining where it is. I live close by and was involved in campaigning/canvassing for the local elections in 2004 (not for the Greens) so heard all sides of the story on the doorsteps. My view is that a stadium of 60,000 or 65,000 capacity could have been accommodated without much, if any, increased inconvenience to residents on match day, when you take into the account the new entrance off Shelbourne Road and the improved access at the DART station and general improved movement of fans in and out of the stadium.
    My memory from the 2003/2004 period is that the only way planning would get through was if the capacity was limited to what it had been previous, i.e. 50,000. The IRFU had initially hoped for a stadium of 65,000 but were advised to reduce to to 50,000, and this was quite easily approved in principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Please explain how you see a 30% increase in stadium capacity not affecting the footprint and volume of the stadium.
    One of the main restrictions placed on the stadium design required a heavy emphasis on minimising the stadiums impact on the surround properties particularly the north end (Havelock Square) and surrounds. This restriction predominately related to the provision of as much natural lights for the properties in question as the design would permit this issue would have been a major consideration during the preparation of the EIS. The low profile of the stadiums northern end addresses this consideration.
    Viewing the structure from the Havelock Square end in its finished as constructed state it is quite evident that without this consideration the quality of the living environment for the northern end residents would have been greatly compromised. However it can be assumed that permission would not have been granted had this provision not been included in the final design.
    Therefore it must be recognised that the impact a complex large scale project of the size and magnitude of the Aviva Stadium has on the environment cannot merely be quantified in terms of how it will function on match day.
    In relation to been for or against the stadium I was neither, however from an H&S stand point it was quite obvious that the old stadium had become a public liability effectively a disaster waiting to happen. The provision of a new Stadium had become a necessity rather than a luxury.
    My reference to Gormley is connection to his latest stunt see link below
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/06/23/3998028-gormley-orders-probe-into-meath-planning/

Finally I wish you well on the hustings next time round (brave man) however I can guarantee you right now that this time it won’t be the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road the electorate will want your views on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell haven't been to this thread in a while and now wish I hadn't come back.

I wish people would stop complaining about the new stadium, it is the way it is because of planning restrictions and that is the law of the land.

I think they did the best they could under the circumstances and have built an amazing looking structure, which to me, despite it being smaller looks more finished than the mighty Croke Park which looks unfinished to me with the open-ended Hill 16.

I did this in an earlier thread but once again I'll post a picture of what was there before and I think we should all be grateful that it's gone, and what is there now is definitely an improvement, Talk about Irish begrdgery.

3776.2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell haven't been to this thread in a while and now wish I hadn't come back.

I wish people would stop complaining about the new stadium, it is the way it is because of planning restrictions and that is the law of the land.

I think they did the best they could under the circumstances and have built an amazing looking structure, which to me, despite it being smaller looks more finished than the mighty Croke Park which looks unfinished to me with the open-ended Hill 16.

I did this in an earlier thread but once again I'll post a picture of what was there before and I think we should all be grateful that it's gone, and what is there now is definitely an improvement, Talk about Irish begrdgery.

3776.2.jpg

You mention Irish begrudgery, so I'll counter that with this;

Irish acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

DWCommuter wrote: »

Irish acceptance.

That comment makes no sense. I would still be passing red post boxes on the way to the airport with my British passport if it where the case!

Did you want us all down at the construction site shouting "No to this multi-million Euro state of the art shiny new stadium" as the bulldozers where moving in?

Irish begrudgery on the other hand is alive and well.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    You mention Irish begrudgery, so I'll counter that with this;

Irish acceptance.

Well the stadium is there now and will be for the foreseeabale future.

I think you should just accept that.

Will argue again due to to planning laws that they did the best with it that the could and I have seen it from the outside from a distance and it is a remarkable piece of architecture that we should be proud of and I think it will be come a famous Dublin landmark throughout the world once games start being played there, especially next years Europa league final.

I have Dutch family and I've brought them to games at the old stadium and they just laughed at what a decrepit place it was. It was embarrassing, the Aviva (hate the name!) is a huge improvement.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Will argue again due to to planning laws that they did the best with it that the could and I have seen it from the outside from a distance and it is a remarkable piece of architecture that we should be proud of and I think it will be come a famous Dublin landmark throughout the world once games start being played there, especially next years Europa league final.
    What planning laws ensured they had to have some seats with restricted views?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Jesus guys its a sporting venue much better than what was there beforehand, the new home of irish soccer and rugby for the foreseeable future, built to current rules and regs i'm looking forward to seeing the first game there especially after watching some good Worid cup games, whats the point of this thread its boring MOVE ON.

wingfo wrote: »
    Jesus guys its a sporting venue much better than what was there beforehand, the new home of irish soccer and rugby for the foreseeable future, built to current rules and regs i'm looking forward to seeing the first game there especially after watching some good Worid cup games, whats the point of this thread its boring MOVE ON.
    Of course it's better than what was there before, thats not what being debated.

If you feel the thread is boring then don't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know it's a trifling matter in the overall development of the new stadium but I noticed the handiwork of the local village idiots/graffiti artists where the railway passes under the West (?) Stand - any chance that anybody here knows somebody in IRFU/FAI officialdom and could get it removed? Given the hundreds of millions this place has cost it would be a nice touch to keep it graffiti free! :mad:

Since posting I have emailed the following in regard to this problem.

IRFU,
    FAI,
    Failte Ireland (CEO),
    Mary Hanafin (Minister for Sport & Tourism)
    Jimmy Deenihan, FG Spokesman for Sport
    Ivana Bacik, Labour Spokesperson for Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Will e-mail all of the above, so.

Might be an idea to post the e-mail addresses too.

ivana.bacik@oireachtas.ie

info@fai.ie

info@irishrugby.ie

http://www.maryhanafin.ie/contact-me.html

anne.soye@failteireland.ie ...............................acting PA for CEO

jdeenihan@eircom.net

Already got holding replies back from IRFU and out of office from Failte Ireland with Anne Soye given as new contact above. :)

Justed added the Greens' Sports Spokesman for completeness but given that the Greens have now been subsumed into FF there was probably no point.

paul.gogarty@oireachtas.ie

• Advertisement

Just in from Ivana Bacik - 'on the ball' as you would expect!

Dear David, thank you very much for the email and for alerting me to the problem, that is a real concern if graffiti is already beginning to appear on the Aviva stadium. I will certainly bring it to the attention of the FAI and IRFU as I see you have done, and will also raise it with the City Council. Thanks again for the email, best wishes Ivana

Just in from Paul Gogarty:

Dear xxxx,

This matter has been brought to the attention of the local Green TD for the area, John Gormley, who would know the relevant Council officials for this area.

No doubt the FAI will be dealing with this matter themselves also. Certainly they would be able to get it cleaned quicker than Dublin City Council's clean-up squad.

Regards,

Paul Gogarty

Replies received:
    Dear Chris,

This matter has been brought to the attention of John Gormley TD who is your Green Party representative for the area in which the Stadium is located. He would know the relevant Council contacts.

Best wishes,

Paul Gogarty
    Dear Chris,
    Thank you for your email. I have passed it on to the stadium.

Barry

Barry Cunningham
    www.twitter.com/irfurugby
    Irish Rugby Football Union
    Website Manager
    Irish Rugby Supporters Club Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I know it's a trifling matter in the overall development of the new stadium but I noticed the handiwork of the local village idiots/graffiti artists where the railway passes under the West (?) Stand - any chance that anybody here knows somebody in IRFU/FAI officialdom and could get it removed? Given the hundreds of millions this place has cost it would be a nice touch to keep it graffiti free! :mad:

Since posting I have emailed the following in regard to this problem.

IRFU,
    FAI,
    Failte Ireland (CEO),
    Mary Hanafin (Minister for Sport & Tourism)
    Jimmy Deenihan, FG Spokesman for Sport
    Ivana Bacik, Labour Spokesperson for Sport

Its an urban art form and train tunnels (or similar) are the galleries of the future, in particular the post economic meltdown Irish society that prevails. During the next upturn Fianna Fail will be charging you a fortune to visit these colourful examples of poorer times. Get with it JD.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭xper

Since posting I have emailed the following in regard to this problem
    What's with all the spamming left, right and centre? The stadium has a management team with contact details right there on the stadium website. It's their wall, tell them. This nonsense of contacting government ministers and the like over localised problems such as a feckin bit of graffiti is just one symptom of what's wrong with politics and people's attitude to it in this country.

xper wrote: »
    What's with all the spamming left, right and centre? The stadium has a management team with contact details right there on the stadium website. It's their wall, tell them. This nonsense of contacting government ministers and the like over localised problems such as a feckin bit of graffiti is just one symptom of what's wrong with politics and people's attitude to it in this country.

For your information and from my experience it is by 'spamming', as you call it, that things get done in this country. If you want action you rattle as many cages as possible and perhaps something will come of it. What's your own expertise in this field? And, no, what's wrong with this country is that people won't get of their loathsome spotty behinds and bother kicking up about anything until it's too late. Incidentally, it's more than 'a feckin bit of graffiti' and I suggest you take a DART trip from Howth to Greystones to fully appreciate the extent of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

For your information and from my experience it is by 'spamming', as you call it, that things get done in this country. If you want action you rattle as many cages as possible and perhaps something will come of it. What's your own expertise in this field? And, no, what's wrong with this country is that people won't get of their loathsome spotty behinds and bother kicking up about anything until it's too late. Incidentally, it's more than 'a feckin bit of graffiti' and I suggest you take a DART trip from Howth to Greystones to fully appreciate the extent of the problem.

It looks terrible, ffs can they leave anything alone.
    Tacky dribble.:(

xper wrote: »

See, I'd grant you that, but the issue is far more complicated. You can't just e-mail the one group responsible because A) often it's very unclear just who exactly is responsible for a particular task due to our messy local authority structure and B) even if you do know who is meant to be responsible, often they will not carry out the task or they'll claim that someone else is responsible for it.

In an ideal situation, one would only have to contact the stadium management team. In Ireland as it is, unfortunately the only way to get progress on any issue is to contact as many people as possible in the hope that at least one of them will give a crap. THAT is what needs to be fixed. If people stopped contacting T.Ds over issues, that does not magically mean that issues would start being handled via the "correct" channels. More likely the issues would not be dealt with at all.

In any case I disagree it's a localised problem. Aviva Stadium is a major new stadium and is going to representative of our sporting as a whole. It's important that looks as presentable as possible.

So lads, Stadium opened for business properly for the 1st time today.

Anyone any reports of how it was?

Any word on restricted view seats?

How was access and atmosphere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

RTE showed a very quick glimpse of the match on it's sports bullietin a few minutes ago, I guess they don't want to unveil too much ahead of the highlights @ 9.:cool:
    Alot of empty seats by the look of it.:(
    How did it go?

Advertisement