Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alpigap 2008 sportive

• 25-08-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Took part in the Alpigap yesterday. I did the 120km course finishing in 4:52. Of the limited number of sportives I have done this summer, this was the best. The organisation was great, weather perfect and the distance and amount of climbing, perfect for me. The course was pretty demanding with 2400m of climbing with 6 separate climbs. I was pretty happy with the 25kph average considering the course but looking for a sub 4:30 next year ;) A friend did the Grand Parcours, and suffered badly on the extra 900m of climbing, glad I skipped that.

On finishing, we got a 3 course meal in a hotel, included in the €28 entry fee. Sweet.

Remi Di Gregorio was at the start and supposedly was cycling the course but I think he didn't finish. Probably took a left at the first roundabout and back to bed!

Wouldn't want the Sean Kelly Tour guys having all the fun at the weekend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That looks fantastic Diarmiud, you are spoilt living where you do! Seems like there are a lot of great continental events that are a bit more reasonable to enter than the Etape too, plan to do a few next year I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

They are quite reasonable as anything over €30 and the locals start complaining! Most seem to be on in April -> June timeframe but I missed out on lots of them. However I am planning on doing Les Bosses Du 13 on the 14th September, will try and push to get a gold on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

blorg wrote: »
    That looks fantastic Diarmiud, you are spoilt living where you do! Seems like there are a lot of great continental events that are a bit more reasonable to enter than the Etape too, plan to do a few next year I hope.

They even have a French magazine dedicated for sportives etc, 'Le Cycle' (they don't seem to have a web address). Was in France earlier in the 'summer', on holidays and bought a couple of editions. In this magazine they have a big section listing all the sportives in each month. Each event has a 1 to 5 star diffiiculty rating plus they give all the route info etc. The July issue I have lists 19 sportives for July & August. So yeah, they're spoilt for choice over there!

Advertisement